UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> hunting with DOGS

2/2/11 6:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PTM2020
978 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone ever do this?

kinda curious about it.

what do you do? just get a bunch of hunting dogs together, walk out into the wilderness and wait around till they catch something and rip it apart?
2/3/11 4:31 AM
Byrd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i bought a dog from a guy who hunted boars in florida. bluetick coonhound, great dog if you lived in the country. i didnt live in the country and found him a few times on the golf course howling at the golfers. the dogs mom died from a boar, think he said the pig hit her in the guts or something.

im guessing at this but

you take dogs in the woods leashed, find a animal and unleash the dogs (dont think you release the tracking dogs) once the dogs have the pig or whatever pinned down you slit its throat or shoot it.

then again, i dont hunt so i dont know.
2/7/11 7:59 PM
MikeFL152
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

with boar hunting, usually there are dogs that track/bay and then dogs that catch. usually we let the bay dogs go at first sign, and they keep the hog cornered up somewhere until we get there with the catch dogs(usually some type of bulldog cross).. catch dogs will go in and wrestle the hog down and the hunter will go in and either tie it, or knife the heart.
2/7/11 11:58 PM
PTM2020
978 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MikeFL152 - with boar hunting, usually there are dogs that track/bay and then dogs that catch. usually we let the bay dogs go at first sign, and they keep the hog cornered up somewhere until we get there with the catch dogs(usually some type of bulldog cross).. catch dogs will go in and wrestle the hog down and the hunter will go in and either tie it, or knife the heart.

HOLY SMOKES

that must be a CRAZY sight to see.
2/8/11 12:56 AM
JackFunk
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

either tie it, or knife the heart.

Thought it was usually a throat cut?
2/11/11 6:07 PM
MikeFL152
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

them hogs are thick, you could try to cut the throat, but it'd be quite a mess.
3/13/11 6:02 PM
Old Red Belt

I regularly hunt hogs and deer with the appropriate kind of dogs and what has been said is quite true. The Hawaiians and Louisianans are the masters of hog hunting with dogs. Deer hunting with dogs is quite popular in some Southern states to make a long story short Foremost Hunting.com forum has a full description both pro and con on the subject and probably one of the only places.
Moose are hunted with dogs in Sweden, while leopards are hunted with dogs in Africa the same way Mountain Lions are hunted with dogs in the Western US. Of course we use bird dogs for upland birds, waterfowl rabbits and even turkey.
3/14/11 5:34 PM
MachetePhil
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I grew up coon hunting, and will probably be starting up again this coming fall as a family memeber just got a young dog a few months ago to start coon hunting again.  And no, you don't just turn dogs loose to go track down and shred stuff, lol.

With coon hunting you generally lead the dog, or dogs, to say, the back end of a cornfield near a creek for example, and turn one loose where he'll run all over and hunt around till he hits a track. When he does he'll let out a bawl, how often and excited those bawls are will tell you how hot the track is. By that time if you have other dogs still on leads they'll be trying to drag you into the woods into the action, so you let them go if it's a good track and you sit back and listen to the dogs go to work. 

Their bawling changes depending on what's going on, and listening to that is a beautiful thing, it's different on a cold track versus a hot one, or if they're right on it's ass, or if they have it tree'd.  Listening to the dogs work is what it's all about really. There's nothing like standing in a cornfield or in the woods on a cold night in late fall listening to the dogs work.  Once they have it tree'd, you know by the change in cadence and tone of their bawling, you head for them, it might be a hundred yards, or a mile through swamps. 

When you get there you try to spot the coon with lights, and if you find him, you shoot him in the head with a .22. Ideally he falls out of the tree, if still alive the dogs tear into his ass, if not you hold the dogs back, grab it and put him in a sack and start all over. Fun stuff, and yeah I guess I'm a redneck.

4/1/11 5:37 PM
sewich
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i let my retriever go swim in the lake to get my ducks so i dont.

also when you are hunting phesants they scare the birds out of the tall grass when you would probably just walk right on by
8/30/11 2:32 PM
Dryfly

I hunt upland game with a Vizsla.
He absolutely does not "scare birds up out of the grass" His job is to locate and point the birds. Then the hunter can flush the birds for a good shot, the dog then retrieves the bird.
Watching a good pointer work is a beautiful thing.
9/16/11 1:36 PM
DaNewf
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dryfly - I hunt upland game with a Vizsla.
He absolutely does not "scare birds up out of the grass" His job is to locate and point the birds. Then the hunter can flush the birds for a good shot, the dog then retrieves the bird.

I'll have to plead ignorance here. I've only ever hunted ptarmigan(sp?) over my father's blue belton(sp?) setter. They do stand and point. But I thought some other breeds of dogs were bred to flush birds when they found them. This would be inconvienent with dad's dog because they cover quite a bit of ground and are sometimes quite a distance away when they find some birds (We hunt open barrens and can see for miles unless the fog rolls in).
9/18/11 4:56 PM
jscorbett
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Georgia a few years ago, there were many concerns about dog hunters (deer variety). There were issues with trespassing, safety, etc. The State DNR really stepped up enforcement. Hunting clubs and individual hunters must be additionally licensed to use dog for deer. Many clubs lost their licenses to hunt with dogs.
10/17/11 12:30 PM
GaryG
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaNewf - 
Dryfly - I hunt upland game with a Vizsla.

I'll have to plead ignorance here. I've only ever hunted ptarmigan(sp?) over my father's blue belton(sp?) setter. They do stand and point. But I thought some other breeds of dogs were bred to flush birds when they found them. This would be inconvienent with dad's dog because they cover quite a bit of ground and are sometimes quite a distance away when they find some birds (We hunt open barrens and can see for miles unless the fog rolls in).

Most bird dogs are trained to point, but some are trained to flush. In the US most birddogs are trained to hunt in reasonably close proximity to the hunters.
11/9/11 1:24 AM
PTM2020

Hunting with DOGS

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.