UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Dislocated thumb

2/3/11 4:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GAME-DOG
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So let's say a moron doesn't know how to train and the roll starts. Moron can't get pass your guard so stands up runs off the mat and attempts a flying WWE cross body to get side control. In this instant as putting my hand out my thumb bends all the way back to my forearm and also bends at the first joint. Hurts like hell and pull it and snap it back in. It's not broken but still hurts. How long will this take to heal. It's been a month. I'm sure someone here has had a similiar injury. Anyone? I really want to train again and was finally getting over a plateu.
2/4/11 1:39 AM
MattB ATC
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you get an xray to rule out a fracture/break? Did you see a doctor about this already? Where on your thumb/joint does it hurt?
2/4/11 9:22 AM
le0nidis
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Recovery will depend on the situation. I dislocated my pinky at the two most distal joints almost four weeks ago, and was training BJJ a week later. I'm going really light, but am very aware to protect my hand. I tape it up via suggestions from the BJJ forum.

I don't do any specific exercises for my hand/fingers and just make sure I don't re-injure it again. Maybe you can just isolate certain positions till you recover, that way you will still be able to train and heal your thumb. Good luck.
2/4/11 4:23 PM
GAME-DOG
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's the first joint under the finger nail that still hurts and the last joint right before the palm. The doc said it wasn't broken. Ie no swelling just pain. It's gotten a little better but can't zipper coats or use the finger nail clipper have to improvise. it sucks and I have been wrapping it. just can't do chokes now.
2/4/11 8:24 PM
MattB ATC
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What kind of physician did you see? Orthopedic or general medical?

Did they test the integrity of your ligaments in your thumb?

From what you describe, you have pain at the MCP joint and IP joint of the thumb. Where specifically at the joint near ur palm does it hurt? On the inside towards your index finger? On the outside away from the rest of your fingers?
2/4/11 8:59 PM
GAME-DOG

On the outside bottom joint opposite of thumb web leading to the hand and outside first joint after finger nail.. it was a general doc.

but it never really swelled or bruised. I've broken stuff before and that's what usually happens swelling and bruising.
3/22/11 10:31 PM
von niten
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dislocated mine about 5 yrs ago.  I'm super careful with it but it still hurts.  Best of luck.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.