UnderGround Forums

Money, Business & Finance Ground >> My new small business

2/4/11 12:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kyle Cooley
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys. So, after much thought and planning, I decided to open up a small business online. I'm selling some children's toys. The name of the character(s) is entirely mine and I have it copywritten. I got the inspiration from TheAdonis years ago and just went through with the whole thing recently. Anyway, if anybody is interested, please visit www.smelvinnerdley.com and let me know what you think.

This thing is in it's infant stage, but it's what I have to work with for now. Comments? Suggestions?
2/4/11 5:21 AM
Stone Rolled
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You got alot of work to do, man. But congrats on the start. You need to create stories and other characters around him when he travel through time. And he doesn't look too appealing to me. Just my opinion.
2/4/11 9:45 PM
Kyle Cooley
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the feedback.
2/4/11 9:46 PM
Kyle Cooley

Lets say you were a little kid - what do you think would make him more appealing?
2/7/11 10:39 PM
LiveWire
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Help me out...you're only selling one product?
2/10/11 2:31 PM
Ho Kogan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How are you going to create demand for this product?
2/12/11 11:40 AM
Kyle Cooley

My family has a lot of children. They've been kind enough to buy several of these for their kids. They live in all parts of the country - Florida, Michigan, California...

I told the kids to take the doll to school and make fun of the kids that didn't have one :-)

Seriously though - I have contact several websites and toy stores in my area (Los Angeles) to set up a meeting for them to check out my product and see if they are interested in selling it at their stores. Kid Robot is a pretty popular one that works with a lot of different artists.
2/14/11 5:45 AM
Ant C
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I started selling online after reading the original Adonis thread so good to see someone else taking a shot! I did thank Adonis a while back but would like to thank him again if he's reading this - now have 7 websites and a pretty successful business.

Looking at your site I think you are going to struggle to make this viable without some kind of miracle viral campaign. Single product websites are very hard at the best of times, even more so with an unknown product. Selling to other shops means you will be working on low margins, and therefore need to sell in quantity, which seems unlikely.

The business next door to mine sell kids toys online and make a killing. They just select quality toys that are hard to find on the high street. Maybe worth heading in that direction to start with?
2/14/11 9:34 PM
HaoleBoy
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how in the world would you expect to get traffic to that site?

that is if someone actually wanted one

dont mean to bust balls but you got a ton of work to do
2/14/11 10:32 PM
HaoleBoy
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

props for stepping up though

dont want to hurt your feelings ;)
2/15/11 4:16 AM
BruceWayne23
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is the absolute opposite of robotic Japanese monkeys that shoot lazers out of their eyes and surf. You want something that's going to sell? Go with the monkeys.

2/18/11 4:23 PM
Dan W
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dude...
2/20/11 5:24 AM
TheAdonis

Congrats, Kyle! I'm sure people talked crap to the creator of the purple talking dinosaur, talked crap to the guy that created 'bert and ernie" etc. One thing is for sure, no toy maker that ever made millions was willing to give up too easy and i'm sure success didn't find any of them over night.

What is your angle? your hook? How will you market this doll? I've got some unique ideas for you to get some free press. leave me your email addy or I will end up in a debate with a bunch of scott farkus mma dot tee vee types, and i really don't have time nor patience any more to deal with negative mouth breathing idiots..

2/20/11 5:33 AM
TheAdonis

AntC- I feel honored to be able to share whatever litle knowledge i've gained in 14 years in business with you guys. I'm beyond proud of you guys that you are making money online! keep us updated

2/20/11 5:39 AM
TheAdonis

Kyle- have you looked into aliexpress.com or alibaba.com to list your product for export?
3/14/11 9:57 AM
Kyle Cooley

TheAdonis,

Thanks man, I can't believe I forgot that I posted this here. You can reach me at krcooley@gmail.com

Please send me an email when you get the chance. I actually used Alibaba.com to contact a supplier in China to make the dolls for me.
3/20/11 12:32 PM
dunc
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you should write more detailed stories about this guys adventures and post them online. Then somehow get kids to read them.
4/3/11 5:44 PM
shalexih

Any updates on how your business is going? I just started mine as well.
8/21/11 12:10 AM
traneufcisback

i really need to get into online selling.
3/24/12 5:01 AM
Jacob Lamb
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ant C - I started selling online after reading the original Adonis thread

Link? Couldn't find it...
3/30/12 7:02 AM
Ant C
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jacob Lamb - 
Ant C - I started selling online after reading the original Adonis thread

Link? Couldn't find it...

It was a long time ago, must be 2007/08. I think the title of the thread was 'what I find funny' or something similar.

I still remember reading it as my first business was failing badly. As a last resort before looking for a job I bought a buch of crap from China and sold it on ebay.
3/31/12 12:19 PM
newera

Any update from the OP?
4/13/12 3:07 PM
Palmala Handerson

I remember the old Adonis thread, can anyone post a decent summary here?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.