UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Advice for doing well in Con law

2/4/11 11:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brabo Fett
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So i am currently in con law 1 and i have notice that is pretty different from the rest of the classes which have pretty standard rules. I am a little apprehensive of what the exam is going to look like and how i should make an outline for it.

any suggestions?
2/6/11 11:04 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First, talk to reliable upper class students about how your professor writes exams. Some professors like to include current events, such as the healthcare mandate, while others use similar exams every year. Pay attention in class and listen for clues on what will be tested and what won't.

Second, make a flash card with the holding and rationale of every case assigned. Some professors expect you to cite cases in your answer. Making cards also helps with issue spotting, because some professors use fact patterns loosely based on real cases. If you don't have time to make cards, Law in a Flash can be helpful.

Third, invest in a supplement like Crunchtime or E&E.
2/10/11 11:32 AM
goku

i got the highest grade in my conlaw class...every class and prof is different, but basically, you need to read the cases and understand everything (including footnotes and dissents) thoroughly, listen very closely in class to what your prof's spin or point of view is, and have very good outlines
2/12/11 10:19 PM
Brabo Fett

thanks for the advice
2/16/11 11:36 PM
KenTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did well in con law. I basically just remembered the terminology, rules, and case names. Con law, more than most other class exams, requires citations. If you have a handle on the clauses in the Constitution and the cases that go along with them, you're off to a good start.

E&E was very helpdful for Con 1.

2/20/11 1:22 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/20/11 1:24 PM
One doesn't need to be a member of the Lochner Court to know there's more profit in selling your casebook on Amazon.
2/23/11 1:20 AM
Shaz

I did very very poorly in Con Law, so here is what I did - DON'T DO THIS:

I skipped about half the classes and never did any of the reading.  A few days before the final I read the notes/outlines of four or five of my classmates, read Gilbert's Con Law, and printed every single case from the casebook in Westlaw and read all of the headnotes.  This all took about 72 hours with pretty much no sleep.  I think I got a C.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.