UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Stretching routines/books?

2/5/11 8:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GrowCrops
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I just started Judo, and absolutely love it - but found that my level of flexibility is terrible at the moment!

Was wondering if anyone could recommend a stretching routine to do daily that could improve my flexibility? Either that or a stretching book would be perfect!

Thanks
2/5/11 9:32 AM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad you enjoy judo. You should learn from your warmups but to supplement here is my advice: Judo is stretching and strengthening. 1)Book I use is called "The Core Workout" by Joanne Elphinston and Paul Pook. Swissball exercises plus stretching routines. 2)Yoga-static like stretches that are excellent. I don't hold the poses as long as they do(1-2 minutes) maybe 15-30 sec. You will have to join a yoga class to learn the poses and movements. 3)Jimmy Pedro's book Judo Techniques and Tactics pg 150-169 basic stretches. 4)Tumbling exercises that you learn in judo class- forward tumbles legs tucked/backward tumbles legs tucked/ forward leg split tumbles/backwards leg split tumbles/ forward straight leg tumbles, backwards straight leg into a push up land on your feet, cartwheels (both sides),hand stands walk on your hands, breakfalls, crawl on your stomach using our foremarm pulls, scrimp crawls backwards.
2/5/11 11:43 AM
Missing Glove Tape

http://www.amazon.com/Stretching-30th-Anniversary-Bob-Anderson/dp/0936070463/

^I love this book.
2/5/11 12:22 PM
GrowCrops

Thanks a lot for your replies!

Judoblackbelt - I have various Yoga DVDs which I think I could use for flexibility actually! I'm also beginning to learn the tumbling exercises in Judo, which are done at the beginning of our lessons! Kinda tricky to do at first but I love the fact that there are a Judo-specific warmup.

Missing Glove Tape - ordered that book as it looks great! I find that my hips/legs lack a lot of flexibility (though probably no more than other beginners), so that is one area that I really need to improve on.

2/6/11 6:49 AM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You are taking the right approach to judo. Learning the techniques and increasing your flexibilty to do them. One specific exercies I do for hips is I use a 12 lbs medicine ball(with handles) and do walking lunges and add a rotating (entire upper half of my body) 90 deg to the outside of my lead foot and back to center. Step forward in a lunge with the other foot rotate 90 deg to the outside. Turn your entire upper body in these rotations so your head follows. I do this at Bally's so I can watch my form in the side mirrors maintaing a straight back, proper lunge technique. All the beginners come to realize at some point they need to supplement their workouts with flexibility exercises. Your judo will only get better with judo though. There is a great website for lower body flexibilty that has a hip roll.
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/lower-abdominal-hip-roll.html
2/6/11 9:22 AM
GrowCrops

Judoblackbelt - thanks a lot for your advice!

Will definitely order one of those medicine balls with built in handles, I'm pretty sure I seen some at the gym as well so I'll give them a test! I think what I'll look to do eventually is create certain sets of stretching exercises I can do 1-2 times a day

One small problem I'm having at the moment is with break falling. I find that I actually wind myself a little (like lose breath) when landing, and I think it's probably to do with the timing of my arms making contact?

I will run this by my instructor next lesson as well to see what I'm doing wrong, but was wondering if you had any tips on break falling to possibly correct what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
2/6/11 7:37 PM
judoblackbelt

You might be using to much forward momentum during the breakfall.Practice "static" breakfall without any forward walking. Put your right foot forward, bend forward with your right arm pointing to the ground about 2 " off the ground in an arc, tuck your head,push lightly off your rear left foot and "ROLL". Practice on the crash pad if you need to. The hip roll exercise needs no ball and is probably just as good for a beginner. As you advance the lunge walk medicine ball twist helps develope twisting strength in the hips.
2/7/11 8:46 AM
AgedCaviar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mastering the rubber guard has an incredible stretching routine.
2/8/11 12:05 PM
jaykoo

I can't recommend yoga enough. When I was playing 4-5x/week and doing a 1 hr yoga class(Vinyasa flow type) 3x/week, my judo never felt better.

There are many different styles of yoga that will give you results but you have to be patient. Eventually, with enough experience, you'll know which poses an postures will benefit you the greatest and will be able to put together a mini-routine for home.

The issue I have with DVDs and shitty classes(so many of them out there), is that it's more tempting to play to your body's strengths rather than work on your weaknesses. For example, just because you can touch your face to your shine in a forward bend, doesn't mean your alignment is correct - you may just be hinging from your thoracic spine rather that fully engaging your pelvis , hips and hamstrings.

Finding a good class though, can be a pain in the ass. There's a lot of bullshit and ego flying around - yoga snobs, teachers who assume much more knowledge than they actually have(do not make spinal adjustments on me if you're not a chiro, thanks) and the such. And certain styles seem to really attract certain kinds of people.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.