UnderGround Forums

Scott Sonnon >> Sovann's fight AAR

1/24/02 5:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sovann
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Jan-02

I had been cage side before warming up and saw some familiar faces, a former instructor. I had heard the crowd during the first two fights so I knew it would be loud. As I mentioned up above, my heart rate was fine. I felt great! No shakes. I thanked God, didn't ask for a win, but just for His presence and peace. I skipped a little up the stairs. Forgot I needed to take my shirt and jacket of so that made me laugh/smile. I thought could feel that the crowd was kind of curious about what to expect, anticipation. So I bounced from the door to my corner getting really hyped. I glanced over at Joel. He was chilling, looking calm, I hoped it was nerves, and I imagined that his heart was pounding out of his chest. Mine isn't!! Oh Yeah!! I'm good to go!! The hands are gonna fly!!! I'm bringing everything! This is what I've been training, working for! I love it! It feels so good! I'm twitching! I want to throw some punches but I don't want him to see my timing, I want to surprise him with the first flurry. But I am trying to intimidate him, chomping at the bit. He doesn't look at me I don't think.
1/24/02 5:14 PM
sovann

I forgot to mention, in the gym, the guys tell me I'm fine but when I get the clinch or on the ground I tighten up. This is mostly because I have told myself for the longest time, I'm okay standing but I'm in trouble if we grapple. Jacob tells me that when he snaps me down into front headlock/quarters or on the ground, I hesitate, gather myself, then try to escape. He has encouraged me to move explosively on the ground. Going into the fight, I don't care if it goes to the ground because I feel I will just outwork him. I have been taking KJW's advice and hitting my way out of everything. I'm also a little pissed that right when we get cageside they yell "One corner only!" and my bro Jacob can't be there. But I know he'll be close.
1/24/02 5:39 PM
sovann

I laugh when they announce me as "The Philosopher". I do the kenpo salutation. I'm not trying to show up or show off, just props to karate and kungfu players in the house. I'm sure most are thinking "What the hell was that?" I notice the news camera at some point. Lindland brings us to center. I feel safe, knowing he will save my limbs if Joel gets ahold of me. I don't glare. I am not projecting hate/rage/malice/intent to injure, but I am trying to let him know "You can't handle what I am bringing! You throw those slow hooks like you were in warm up and you will get rocked!" (Right before we went up. We take a picture together. He is cool. We could be friends I think. He kind of looks like the bad guy in Die Hard 2) We shake and I touch his hands to my forehead.
1/28/02 6:16 PM
jacoblamb
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Jan-02
ttt
1/24/02 2:24 PM
sovann

Besides the concerns I mentioned earlier there are many fears/anxiety I had going into the fight. -Who would be my opponent? My first opponent backed out. -My coach and online coach KWJ expressed concern when my next opponent seemed to have a lot more grappling experience than me. I didn't want to back out, was I disappointing them? -Anxiety over the rules: no straight strikes to face. And then a week before the comp I read the rules again - no knees! Arrgh! How am I going to avoid the clinch? -Existential questions: Why am I doing this? I just started part-time back at seminary, work full time, wife and two kids? Does the Lord approve of this? What will my patients, friends and co-workers think? If I get hurt, will my wife let me do this again? -Finding a balance between under-confidence, over-confidence. Aggression and malice. -Would he be much taller than me? (reach advantage) As the fight got closer my thoughts became consumed with my strengths and possibilities. The week of the fight I got 5-6 hrs of sleep each night. My last workout on Wed (the night I post "pre-fight" jitters). I was discouraged because I was tapped out a few times by Gary a fighter from Canada training at Team Quest, but I didn't feel too bad because I was 15-20 lbs less. Everyone at the gym kept encouraging me that my boxing looked good, but it was hard to believe them. cont.
1/24/02 2:34 PM
sovann

Weight of expectations -One of the guys at USA Autowholesale joked that they wouldn't let me train if I lost. Crap, what if I do lose? Team Quest/SBG win everything. Will I let them down? -Will I let down my coach? Will I let down my karate buds, trying to represent kenpo? Day of the fight: Fighters seem pretty cool at times, as the day wears on things get grim and quiet. My opponent Joel is cool and we chat, take some pics. He's a little taller but not by half a foot (phew!). A few days before I saw a tape of him fighting last year - he has a *quick* double leg and CRAP! he's a southpaw. Gotta switch gears there. There are lots of guys my coach knows and has fought so we do talk a bit with each other. The local news decides to follow me around for the day. I am glad for the distraction and thank God for a chance to promote our sport. I weigh in 5 lbs underweight and feel good about that. Another silly fear to overcome, what will it feel like to fight with my shirt off. I'm 31 ys and still get acne on my back. Will anyone notice?
1/24/02 2:45 PM
sovann

Physically, I feel tired. I have a headache from caffeine withdrawl and that feeling you get from being "up" all day. I should have taken a nap in the afternoon. We go and watch football playoffs and fight videos. We return for the rules meeting. No heelhooks allowed (yeah!). Uppercuts and backhands with open hand are allowed (yeah!). My hands feel fast as we warm up. The rooms are too small. I've never fought with my hand completely taped up - will I be able to grapple? I am thinking "There is no way he can stand with me." I am going to play Pedro, anti-clinch/counter/kick his legs, for the first 4 min and turn it on the last min to make sure I win the round, thinking he can't tap me in the last min. We've been working sprawling, bracing, angling off, hitting and pummeling out of the clinch. I am not sure about my spacing and stance to kick a southpaw, but I figure it won't matter I will just be very aggressive. Hitting the pads takes away some the mental stuff and I just focus on flowing, speed, snapping my shots. Evan Tanner is watching and some other fighters so I am trying to show them what I've got. I am thinking I will KO him at this point.
1/23/02 6:10 PM
sovann

Edited: 23-Jan-02
I'll read the article, then post more later this week.
1/24/02 12:00 AM
jacoblamb
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/25/02 3:26 PM
KENWINGJITSU

Edited: 25-Jan-02
ttt. Great reading!
1/27/02 1:40 AM
sovann

Edited: 27-Jan-02
I get up off the canvas and can't believe it happened so quick. Matt raises Joel's arm in victory. We head down stairs. My coach says it's okay. I get back to the locker room and A SBG coach smiles and says "I hear you did some good things standing up." Lots of pats on the shoulder and encouragement. I get my pads off and change so I can hurry back up and watch the rest of the fights. I just enjoy the rest of the show. We think about going out afterward but Jacob and I both have headaches so we grab fast food and get home in time to catch the new coverage of the event. The coverage is positive, they incorporate a lot of what the fighters have told them about mixed martial arts. They show me weighing in, checking out the cage, hitting pads before the fight. And, since it was so short, just about the whole fight. It is weird to watch the fight so soon after it happened because it goes by so much quicker than I remember it.
1/28/02 7:12 PM
sovann

This past week has been up and down. Not nearly as intense as leading up to the fight. Shoulder is a little sore. Have allowed myself to pig out on junk food a few times. A little discouraged by some troll on the thefcff.com forum who said I should be humiliated by my loss. After the sermon in church yesterday I am thinking the Lord allowed me to be humbled. Not to take anything away from Joel - I don't think he got lucky, he did what he wanted to do - but I think I beat him in a rematch. May 11th (next event) seems a year away. And I'm definately feeling a big let down. Scott, so there you have it. Submitted for your evaluation... Thanks for your time.
1/28/02 12:00 AM
jacoblamb

ttt
1/25/02 11:58 PM
sovann

Edited: 25-Jan-02
The fight: I came out with a thai kick that grazed and threw some hooks. I switched leads and threw a right hook. I threw a front kick that he tried to catch. I hit up top. He came in head down to try to clinch so I backpeddled hitting, angled off and braced and he went to his knees and I hit him with a hard right hand. He kept driving forward though and ankle picked or single legged me. He just swung his legs over for a high mount. I panicked a little because we were against the fence and I didn't want to get hit. I also thought I have to explode out, can't lose energy on bottom. So I tried elbow-knee escape. But ended up giving my back and extending my arm. He took the arm and started a face down armbar. I swung my legs over to try and stack him, but I couldn't hook his head and he drove his heels to the ground to put me on my back. I didn't want to tap and I turned my thumb to escape but the wrong way and he locked it out.
1/31/02 10:43 AM
sovann

Edited: 31-Jan-02
Thanks
2/13/02 2:50 PM
sovann

Edited: 13-Feb-02
ttt Scott, if this thread expires may I email it to you later? Thanks, Sovann

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.