UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Questions For Christians

2/6/11 4:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just started a new Christian YouTube channel.

I'm trying to keep it an independent entity from my other stuff. I don't want to use my name or any momentum from my martial arts or cinematography stuff to help it in any way. I want to see what could happen all on it's own...

It's very typical me, very true to my normal "thoughts on things". It's short but hopefully will get some dialogue going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S04G1jAiynM
2/7/11 1:39 AM
5pointer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good vid - i sub'd to ur channel.
2/7/11 9:04 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks 5pointer. Much appreciated... I'll look for ur channel...
2/9/11 7:57 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Some crazy (and expected responses). Getting ready to post another clip next week.

They are real questions that I struggled with. The purpose of the clip was just put float those questions in the air. That's how they became relevant to me. Someone forced a concept upon my notice at one time or another that I would have never come up with on my own "because of my conditioning and rigidity".

Here is where my conscience is at with each.

Giving money to the homeless:

I do this quite often. I talk to them about their life, Christ and give them a few dollars I used to do it all the time about ten years ago but my ex-wife (whom I have a wonderful relationship with right now) was very discouraging about it. She and her parents fed me lots of conservative ideas about how they are just bums, will only buy booze, are lazy and are probably not Christians. So, under that pressure, I stopped interacting with them and giving them money.

Can a Christian be homosexual who has just given into temptation:

Of course. All sorts of corruption proceeds from the human heart. Homosexuality is just another form of corruption and rebellion. It would be difficult however to reconcile being a homosexual as a POLICY decision concurrent "with" their Christianity for their lifetime. It is definitely something they need to be saved from. However, I once believed that the presence of homosexuality in a person "proved" there was no possibility of regeneration. I have come to see that many people I know and interact with today feel that way now.

Winning 100 million and only keeping 1 or 2 million:

Even though the bible says "Your store houses will be overflowing", I was given very corrupt interpretations of what that meant. I was also taught that "God shows who he likes and blesses by what they have". Then I experienced what tremendous wealth was like. I have since been given a gift of understanding what the hoarding of wealth creates in the human heart. It distorts ones own perception of who one is before God and before man. It It's causes one to "sociologically" drop out and become an independent and superior entity. It creates deep numbness to the needs of others as one satiates every desire or whim... So, YES, I could give away the "majority" of my lottery winning when dealing with 10's of millions of dollars...

Crushing a child's spirit or being empathetic:

"Honor your mother and father" and "spare the rod spoil the child" have been misused as tools to systematically destroy the vitality of children's spirits as far back as the eye (and heart) can see... Those who have done this (me being one of them) lacked the understanding that EMPATHY is what a child needs most from a parent. But empathy requires that an adult be intimately familiar with the little childs heart and that takes time, commitment and emotional connectivity. That's a tall order for person who's parent crushed the life out of them as children". Seems that many have lived a lifetime thinkings that harshness is a far easier way to achieve well behaved child (that being the prize the parent can then show off using the child as a little ambassador.)

So, yes, empathy is of a high priority over the past 4 years or so. In greater degrees all the time. I'm still learning.

Demi
2/10/11 2:55 PM
tappout
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff, Demi. Sounds like you and and I are on a similar wavelength. Modern Christianity has been so mixed with politics (read conservitism) that it is virtually unrecognizable anymore. I "liked" the vid, as well.
2/15/11 7:54 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Thanks tappout! Glad you checked out the clip. I'm getting brutalized by some Christians and loved on by some atheists (even tho I posted a Christian clip)...

Holy...??? What the...???
2/15/11 9:17 PM
Ridgeback

I count being "brutalized" by at least some Christians as a sign I am on the right track.  
2/15/11 9:57 PM
Grakman

Ridgeback -  I count being "brutalized" by at least some Christians as a sign I am on the right track.  

Mormons and JW's must be moving at a high rate of speed on that track if being 'brutalized' by Christians is a good sign!

Where do we fit in 2 Thessalonians 3:10 in our views on charity and helping the homeless, etc?
"... if a man will not work, he shall not eat."

If we say that Christianity is dominated by political  'conservatives' these days, are the Christians who smuggle immigrants into the US  or preach liberation theology conservatives? How about eco or green Christians? If we react to negatively to 'right wing' Christianity, are we sure that 'left wing' Christianity is the proper alternative?  Seems like two sides of the same coin to me. Government is not the Kingdom of God no matter if it is left wing or right wing.
2/15/11 10:39 PM
Demitrius Barbito

The point I'm making is that many "conservative" Christians will crush the life out of their children to make them agree with their religious/political point of view. They will also have nothing to do with anyone who sees things different "let alone" love others and come along side them...

I used to be that guy and there was no shortage of us...
2/15/11 11:07 PM
Grakman

I understand what you're saying Demitrius; I see that same kind of intolerance on the idealogical left as well.

What do you think about helping folks with donations, food, etc, who don't want to work?

Do you see homosexuality as a different sort of sexual sin than regular unmarried heterosexual sin?  For example, if I am a Christian, is it ok for me to have numerous partners over the course of my life time with members of the opposite sex whom I am not married to?  I'm not juding your stance here, just trying to see if homosexual conduct gets a different set of standards in your paradigm. (I already know that homosexuality is treated differently by the 'right' in practice if not in theory.)
2/16/11 1:26 AM
Ridgeback

Grakman - 
Ridgeback -  I count being "brutalized" by at least some Christians as a sign I am on the right track.  

Mormons and JW's must be moving at a high rate of speed on that track if being 'brutalized' by Christians is a good sign!

Where do we fit in 2 Thessalonians 3:10 in our views on charity and helping the homeless, etc?

If we say that Christianity is dominated by political  'conservatives' these days, are the Christians who smuggle immigrants into the US  or preach liberation theology conservatives? How about eco or green Christians? If we react to negatively to 'right wing' Christianity, are we sure that 'left wing' Christianity is the proper alternative?  Seems like two sides of the same coin to me. Government is not the Kingdom of God no matter if it is left wing or right wing.

I didn't say it was a good sign for them.  ;-)
2/16/11 12:14 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Edited: 02/16/11 12:14 PM
Grakman,

People who "don't want to work" are obviously oppressed in spirit. That's "lazy" decoded. There is something wrong with their general spirit towards life and others. THEY NEED TO CHANGE and that's the Holy Spirits work, not mine. BUT they also need to eat. And those who depend on them, children or otherwise, need to eat and be kept warm too. So I have no problem helping when there is a need in any situation WITHOUT ASSIGNING MY OWN STANDARDS TO THE SCOPE OF THE SITUATION. The good Samaritan didn't ask if the beaten man was lazy, or a druggie or anti christian etc...

I'm not a perfect giver tho. I ignore need sometimes just like everyone else. I'm a world class idiot. But, by the Grace of God, I'm teachable.

Homosexuality is simply "corrupt sexuality" no different than any other. A man having sex with another woman he is not married to and a woman experimenting with bi sexual relationships and a gay man who is monogamous with his partner are all examples of sexual sin.

2/16/11 5:12 PM
Grakman

Ridgeback - 
Grakman - 

I didn't say it was a good sign for them.  ;-)
True, true. :-D

2/16/11 5:25 PM
Grakman

Demitrius Barbito - Grakman,

People who "don't want to work" are obviously oppressed in spirit. That's "lazy" decoded. There is something wrong with their general spirit towards life and others. THEY NEED TO CHANGE and that's the Holy Spirits work, not mine. BUT they also need to eat. And those who depend on them, children or otherwise, need to eat and be kept warm too. So I have no problem helping when there is a need in any situation WITHOUT ASSIGNING MY OWN STANDARDS TO THE SCOPE OF THE SITUATION. The good Samaritan didn't ask if the beaten man was lazy, or a druggie or anti christian etc..

Well, it seems like you are assigning your own standards to the scope of the situation. If Scripture admonishes us to help the poor but also admonishes us that those who do not work shall not eat,  how else will you determine what to do without assigning standards or judging the situation? There is no condemnation for following your conscience, imo. I'm not trying to make an argument, just asking how you deal with the dichotomy.  You have it worked for you and it fits with your worldview, it's all good.

The example of the good Samaritan is a poor comparison in my opinion though, cause he was beaten and set up on through no fault of his own. It is true that many poor people do not have enough through no fault of their own, but this does not apply to the lazy who merely doesn't want to work.
2/16/11 7:15 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Remember... What brought on the Parable Of The Good Samaritan was the question "Who is my neighbor". This was asked by a lawyer trying to get Jesus to say "Oh, the ones who want to work, or those in your neighborhood, or the ones who watch fox news or...". Jesus basically said "Everyone is your neighbor". He wasted that guy! (Just like he did the rich young ruler).

None of us have it right. We are all victims of our conditioning and we move through life half conscious of who we oppress and we cut ourselves so much slack while hamstringing others with our own (yet perceived as biblical) standards.

Proverbs is full of verses that seem to contradict eachother. Yet, we know that scripture is self interpretive and God is not a God of chaos. So the verses in Proverbs seem to cover both sides of the issue. It says "the wicked prosper" and it says "the wicked will be undone". BOTH are true at the same time in different circumstances.

The world we live in is very simply "The Vandalism Of Shalom". It's not the way it was supposed to be.

Consider this. Paul said "Whoever doesn't work, doesn't eat".

This is true on so many levels.

#1. If you don't work you will not have enough money to eat.

#2. If homie doesn't wanna work, he's the last in line for food, and there may not be any left for him...

But Paul also encouraged us to "bear each others burdens".

And when asked about "standards" like who has got it down, who is the man, how do you inherit eternal life - He gave his pedigree of "awesomeness" (Hebrew of Hebrews, Pharisee, blameless according to the law) BUT then said he counts it all SHIT (dung).

Yep. Paul said DUNG about being good according to the law, being a Hebrew, being a Pharisee and applying his own standards. Calling that DUNG was sooooo radical, then, and now!

I think this is good dialogue though...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.