UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Inside trip technique

2/7/11 3:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im watching alot of different technique videos on this move. i used to do it when i wrestled in college and in grappling tournaments but not too much in my mma career thus far.

Alot of top level coaches teach it to the overhook side and alot to the underhook side when tied up in an over/under or 50/50 position.

Opinions from some of the wrestlers on here? any videos also for reference?
2/7/11 6:14 PM
Missing Glove Tape
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can throw it from a variety of tie ups. Coming from judo, I tend to like throwing it from an underhook or a 2 on 1 because it just feels more natural to me.

With the underhook I feel like I have more control and am better able to stretch you out/up(vertically) creating space for me to step for the throw without bashing my knee or you being able to sprawl easily on someone my age/size(old/big).

The 2 on 1 I like because I'm able to turn/pivot the opponent easier, making them step forward giving me the space/entry I need to come in for the throw. I also like it because I'm not as commited/likely to get countered with the 2 on 1 if I miss the throw or they happen to sprawl their hips back.

Can't find a good example of the throw of an underhook but Cary Kolat has a good video on the 2 on 1...though, I don't like how he dumps the arm early before completing the throw. I prefer to maintain the tie and use it as a lever to pull down/push in to him while I step in for the throw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VApC50a78ak
2/8/11 3:27 AM
The Persian Devil
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do it like this. From the over/under I push into my opponent with my chest. When he starts pushing back into me I pull him in a circular motion with my underhook. As he takes a step (on the same side as the underhook) I hook the leg and simultenously slam into him with shoulder/chest. 

2/8/11 9:29 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If anyone can find any videos I would appreciate it. Marcos Avellan from FFA has one on YouTube and also John fitch from UFC has one also. Both have wrestling backgrounds but teach it different. Fitch towards underhook, avellan toward overbook. Can anyone post them here? I saw the Kolat russian tie up video. He was one of my coaches at Lock Haven but I don't think that would work well for mma. Phone Post
2/10/11 2:25 PM
thePetester

This is an interesting setup for it. From an under, take your other hand and aggressively attack the leg that you have the undergrip. To defend, your opponent will step back preventing you from starting your single. (Obviously, if you get deep enough just keep the single). As the step back, bring your hand out and drop your body while hitting the inside trip on the leg opposite your undergrip. When you hit the drop inside trip, you can bear hug their legs. This works very well for me. I have showed it to my son and he hits alot and has come up with several variations on his own. (Not sure if this description is very good, I am sure there are vids out there on it.)
2/11/11 10:13 PM
ocianain

Carr had a good video:

http://carrwrestling.com/

website is different from what I remember
2/12/11 1:46 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ

thanks guys, ttt
2/14/11 10:40 AM
simthefarmer

i like that petester
2/14/11 8:24 PM
armbarring
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got a question. Is there any chance of hurting your knee doing this technique?
2/15/11 4:11 AM
The Persian Devil
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ I dont see how that would happen if you did it correctly. However im sure you can hurt your knee if you do it in slow motion and as your leg traps him inside his leg, you tell him to sit straight down onto your knee hard. 
2/15/11 8:58 AM
armbarring
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Persian Devil - ^^ I dont see how that would happen if you did it correctly. However im sure you can hurt your knee if you do it in slow motion and as your leg traps him inside his leg, you tell him to sit straight down onto your knee hard. 

I wanna practice it but Im paranoid of falling backwards on one of my jacked up knees.
2/16/11 10:33 AM
thePetester

If you are practicing it, there should be no fear of falling backwards. Tell your partner to just go with it for now.
2/16/11 8:02 PM
Missing Glove Tape

I wouldn't recommend voluntarily smashing your knee(single/double/inside trip) on concrete during a streetfight. But I don't think the throw itself is particularly dangerous. You can get hurt doing anything if Mr. Murphy decides to punch your freak injury ticket at that moment.
2/17/11 4:19 AM
The Persian Devil

Edited: 02/17/11 4:19 AM
I almost never hit my knees on the ground when I single/double. Only if I fail the shot and need to get in deep on the follow up and cut the corner.  
2/17/11 1:14 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you're in an over under your underhook and your lead leg will be together, so when you transition to the trip it's almost always on this lead leg/underhook side in my experience.
2/17/11 1:53 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ

I asked some of the best wrestlers I know about this. All high level D-1 guys and coaches now. they all said trip on the overhook side is best but can be done both sides. Phone Post
2/17/11 2:37 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wrestled D-1 myself fwiw and I'm also a brown belt in judo, so I've seen this move quite often. That's not a brag, just my background.

If you look at Karo you'll see see that he like most wrestlers is standing strong leg forward, so he is in fact tripping with his lead leg even though he's got an over hook, which I'm not a fan of for MMA. 
2/17/11 2:45 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

here's a vid (not the one I had in mind.. ugh) but it shows the very important relationship between the underhook and having the lead leg together to control your opponent. Watch Randy, Dan, etc and they all do this almost without exception.
2/17/11 2:56 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

fwiw when I did the inside trip in wrestling 99% of the time it came from an over/under body lock which is really a different animal and than over/under IF you can get the pressure on the overhook and break his balance. then it's a simple matter of putting your feet in position (switching if you have to) to do the trip with the lead leg.

my 2 cents.
2/17/11 3:51 PM
Missing Glove Tape

Finally found *something* from the underhook side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kYHcfP9-Vw

^Watch the first throw. Being a judoka the guy's use of wrestling ties is limited, but this is essentially the variation I'm talking about re: pulling/stretching the guy(to force him to step/off balance himself), as you immediately counter(by coming in) with the throw. I personally like the true underhook tie because I feel like I have more control and leverage to pull/stretch my guy out, but I've seen people(nogi judoka) use the tie shown in the video to good effect.
2/19/11 11:11 AM
Martyspike

bull in chinashop,

thats an excelent clip by darrell Gholar. Have you by any chance a link to the entire video clip on line?

2/19/11 3:26 PM
Missing Glove Tape

http://www.56.com/u57/v_NDcyNzM0NzA.html

http://www.56.com/u59/v_NDcyNzA3NDQ.html
2/20/11 10:54 AM
Martyspike

^^Thanks dude - i appreciate that.
2/24/11 6:33 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

Well said Smith.
2/25/11 4:38 AM
Martyspike

Smith - I think there are 2 parts.
The control and the trip.

In my opinion, the trip can be successful from many controls: Underhook, 2on1, over..

Using controls to force the opponent into posting most of his weight onto a leg, will expose him to the technique.

But, establishing these controls is the dilemma.

Agreed!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.