UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> The Eye of a Needle Parable

2/16/11 3:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grakman -  ^ what did you give up, Demitrius?

Probably wouldn't be good to go into it here. It could get kinda weird...
2/16/11 5:10 PM
Grakman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ridgeback - 
Grakman - 
Ridgeback -  Jesus used hyperbolic language so I would probably bet he meant the literal eye of a literal sewing needle.  He talked about poking out one's eye if it offended.  I don't think he meant either literally, but I also think he was using hyperbole to convey that the matters were very serious.  In the context of the story the rich man had chosen his wealth over the state of his soul.  That is a serious matter and can potentially damn a person.  The kneeling came theory seems to appeal to those who are still hopeful they can both pull off being rich and entering the kingdom of heaven.
Only poor people go to heaven? You are starting to sound like the rev, Ridge. ;)

So what constitutes rich? How many cars, flat screen tvs, computers, and jewelry can we have before we're considered rich?  Sounds like 90% of Americans are destined for Hell.

I don't like this trend of misquoting me.  At no point did I write "all the rich are going to hell."  I do think that Jesus was absolutely warning people that wealth in this world puts their soul's in serious peril.  I have no issue with saying that most Americans, by the very nature of being born into such a rich and affluent culture, are automatically in greater jeopardy than those born into poverty.  

The Rev and I actually agree about more things than you might imagine.  I certainly agree with his notion (and the notion of his influences like Jacques Ellul) that Jesus is most likely not on the side of the powerful in any given circumstance and that means Christianity will always have subversive element to it.  So yes I think that a whole nation can deceive itself into thinking it has been favored by God due to material wealth when, in fact, it has been cursed by God for turning its back on righteousness.  
I was using hyperbolic language. ;)

Looks like you're in agreement with my comment about Americans in general though.

2/16/11 5:10 PM
Grakman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Demitrius Barbito - 
Grakman -  ^ what did you give up, Demitrius?

Probably wouldn't be good to go into it here. It could get kinda weird... 
Ok, no worries.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.