UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Separated Shoulder?

2/8/11 8:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jacks Wasted Life
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just started boxing for another way to get cardio in.  Last week my shoulder was sore after a few hours of shoveling (damn northeast!) but I went to boxing twice over the next few days anyway (the last day I boxed was Saturday).

My shoulder has been killing since.  What worries me is that it isn't the deltoid that hurts, it is the bone or joint right where my deltoid meets my collarbone.  There also is a small bump on that spot, not visible but you can definitely feel it.

I looked around online and it sounds like a separated shoulder based on my symptoms.  I'm going to the doctor tomorrow but am just wondering if anyone has heard of someone separating their shoulder from boxing?  It seems crazy that I could manage that from hammering on some bags (I'm not sparring yet) but maybe it is more common than I think.
2/13/11 10:30 PM
MattB ATC
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From what you described, you don't have the mechanism for a "shoulder separation", but you could still have irritation/inflammation at the AC Joint.

What's your age? Training history? Injury history?
2/17/11 8:55 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My age is 34, no significant history of injuries. I broke my left collarbone and broke my right ankle in high school (2 separate instances).  I've never injured my right shoulder that I can recall. In the past I've trained in karate (8 years) and bjj/judo (1 year) but have not done any martial arts training in the last few years.  I have stayed relatively active lifting weights (abbreviated, full body, free weight routine) once or twice a week, doing the elliptical machine 3-5 days a week for 20-25 minutes at a time and about 20 minutes of yoga per day (sun salutation plus a handful of asanas).  At times I use a bodyweight routine in place of weights and focus on pushups, pullups, situps, and hindu squats a few times a week.

I saw my GP last Wednesday and he thought that it was likely a strained tendon or tendonitis. He gave me a cortisone shot and told me to rest my shoulder for a few days to a week.  I didn't do anything until Tuesday of this week when I did a few sets of slow, smooth pushups and pullups.  There was still a bit of a bump on the AC joint, but no pain.

I did more pushups and pullups this morning with no discomfort and went back to boxing for the first time tonight.  I held back a bit of power on the heavy bag but still very worked hard overall, and didn't feel pain at the gym. But my AC joint feels a little sore and swollen now.  I took some ibuprofen and am icing my AC joint.

Any advice on how I can get and keep my AC healthy?  I am not looking to do anything too crazy with boxing, but would like to be able to train 2-3 days a week on non-consecutive days. Also, is it likely that something like this would result in injury or is it just a matter of discomfort?  If it's just going to be sore and ache i can live with that but I would like to avoid injuring my shoulder.

Thank you very much for your help.
2/18/11 12:11 AM
MattB ATC
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it is an AC joint injury, these are my recommendations:

-Strengthen your scapular retractors and depressors to keep proper scapular and postural positioning
-If this is not an acute AC joint issue, begin stretching of your pecs and thoracic mobility drills
-Work on some serratus anterior activity drills
-Start including more pulling exercises into your strength training and make sure that you have more pulling than pushing exercises
-Majority of pushing exercises should be done where the scapula can move freely - meaning, limit benching; replace with push ups, OH press, etc.
-Avoid dips; from my experience people with AC joint issues have a hard time with dips
2/18/11 7:41 AM
Jacks Wasted Life

Thanks for your help!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.