UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> Rubber Guard been used in GI competition?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/8/11 11:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheBulgarianAssassin
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People that do rubber guard have always done it in no-gi competition, at least to my knowledge. Have 10th PJJ guys or guys from other schools used rubber guard in gi tournaments such IBJJF tourneys and others? What's the highest belt level it has worked successfully in? Also if there is any footage of someone using rubber guard in a gi match, please post it on here. Can it work good with a gi? Discuss.
2/9/11 2:46 AM
nogblublt
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've used it with success in training but never in competition. Phone Post
2/9/11 3:24 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nogblublt - I've used it with success in training but never in competition.

By that you mean that you've never tried it in competition or that you tried it and it didn't work. Explain.
2/9/11 4:23 PM
vitamin_gray
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheBulgarianAssassin - People that do rubber guard have always done it in no-gi competition, at least to my knowledge. Have 10th PJJ guys or guys from other schools used rubber guard in gi tournaments such IBJJF tourneys and others? What's the highest belt level it has worked successfully in? Also if there is any footage of someone using rubber guard in a gi match, please post it on here. Can it work good with a gi? Discuss.

I think it would have to be a guy from a non-10th Planet School to be using rubber guard in the gi division, since 10th Planet schools don't practice gi.. And if a guy tried and it failed and they're non-10th Planet, they'll probably get disowned by 10th Planet members who'll claim they didn't implement RG correctly. If they succeeded, well then they'll get lauded by 10th Planet.

I've competed against 10th Planet guys in no-gi. I ripped out of several omoplatas, and did fairly well. When I did get caught, it was ironically a standard armbar from side control.
2/9/11 5:11 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin

vitamin_gray - I think it would have to be a guy from a non-10th Planet School to be using rubber guard in the gi division, since 10th Planet schools don't practice gi.. And if a guy tried and it failed and they're non-10th Planet, they'll probably get disowned by 10th Planet members who'll claim they didn't implement RG correctly. If they succeeded, well then they'll get lauded by 10th Planet.

Thanks for the info. Was wondering about this b/c I use rubber guard and don't train at a 10th PJJ school but I'm competing in a IBJJF tourney soon so I'm gonna try my luck with it.
2/9/11 7:05 PM
vitamin_gray
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheBulgarianAssassin -

Thanks for the info. Was wondering about this b/c I use rubber guard and don't train at a 10th PJJ school but I'm competing in a IBJJF tourney soon so I'm gonna try my luck with it.

Oh, I automatically assumed this was going to be a traditional BJJ vs 10th Planet thread, was hoping to kill it before it grows.

I think if you're comfortable with RG, do it in competition. Better to do that, then play some guard you're inexperienced with and get passed like crazy.
2/9/11 7:39 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin

vitamin_gray - 
Oh, I automatically assumed this was going to be a traditional BJJ vs 10th Planet thread, was hoping to kill it before it grows.

I think if you're comfortable with RG, do it in competition. Better to do that, then play some guard you're inexperienced with and get passed like crazy.

I'll definitly do rubber guard- it's the guard which I'm most comfortable with. I could bump this thread in a few weeks and let people know how it went if anyone is interested.

But I was wondering if anyone else has tried it in a gi tourney and what the results were. Everything you can do no-gi, you can also do in gi. So why no rubber guard in gi matches?
2/10/11 3:24 AM
nogblublt
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never tried it in competition. Phone Post
2/10/11 4:06 AM
EddieBravo
581 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, www.thetwister.tv
The rg is easier with the gi, in fact most of the 10th planet system is easier when there's handles. It's WAY easier to get a clinch going when you have handles. Imagine riding a horse without a saddle for 10 years, then switching to riding a horse with a saddle. Would it be easier or harder?? :) Phone Post
2/10/11 2:00 PM
hiptosser
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Nino Shembri did back in the day
2/10/11 10:56 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin

hiptosser - I think Nino Shembri did back in the day

Vids plz if anyones got them.
2/10/11 11:03 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin

EddieBravo - The rg is easier with the gi, in fact most of the 10th planet system is easier when there's handles. It's WAY easier to get a clinch going when you have handles. Imagine riding a horse without a saddle for 10 years, then switching to riding a horse with a saddle. Would it be easier or harder?? :)

That's wishful thinking there. I roll gi and no-gi (use RG with both) and I think it's much easier to break their posture no-gi. With the whole horse and saddle idea; you have a gi on too so the guy is gonna grab and use your gi against you which makes it more difficult.

Maybe 10th PJJ should come up with moves that involve gi stuff. I'm sure rubber guard can be combined well with some gi grips and collar stuff to make it more effective in gi matches. Good idea for the next 10th PJJ book/ DVD set? (:
2/12/11 6:09 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin

TTT
2/12/11 9:18 PM
EddieBravo
581 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, www.thetwister.tv
Already on it, the guy who runs my Stockholm affiliate is a traditional Bjj black belt and still runs a gi program out of his school. After using the 10thplanet system in the gi for a few years, a different kind of gi style emerged. Hang Mahn Jiu Jitsu is coming :) Phone Post
2/13/11 12:40 AM
TheBulgarianAssassin

EddieBravo - Already on it, the guy who runs my Stockholm affiliate is a traditional Bjj black belt and still runs a gi program out of his school. After using the 10thplanet system in the gi for a few years, a different kind of gi style emerged. Hang Mahn Jiu Jitsu is coming :)

Awesome. Looking forward to it.
2/13/11 6:20 PM
thebigkahuna

I've seen rubber guard used plenty in ibjjf gi tourneys. I don't use it myself...but if you do go for it.
2/14/11 3:13 AM
elgringo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive seen a video of some guys showing gi style grips from Rubber Guard positions, they called it "Know-gi Rubber guard".

2/15/11 7:45 AM
joshjitsu

I used it against a Dracalino student this weekend at the IBJJF in Houston,TX this weekend. I used it to set up a omoplata and sweep. It was the purple belt middleweight division. Although I did end up losing by 2pts. Phone Post

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.