UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Thinking of buying a French Bulldog - Any advise?

2/9/11 5:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lymie
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Title says it all - What should I look out for, and does anyone here have any experience with the breed?
2/11/11 3:31 PM
MichaelVronsky
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cute dogs. not worth 2k.

that about sums it up
3/17/11 10:06 AM
Schenck88
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/17/11 10:11 AM
I have an english bulldog (Yea, I realize they're not the same, but the have alot of the same health issues).<br /><br />He is about 70 lbs and is the greatest dog i've ever owned. My boss at work currently owns 3 frenchies, and I talked to him alot before getting my EB.<br /><br />1. Obviously you know they generally cost $2000+, so that's a big investment. They don't require AS MUCH exercise as say a labrador or a boxer, but they do still require walks.<br /><br />The one thing that surprised me with my dog is how active he is. He will run after and catch my brothers boxer (though his sprints only last about 8-10 seconds). So you can't just assume they're going to sit around all day.<br /><br />2. They are extremely messy eaters/drinkers and kind of a messy dog in general, so you should have a spot where he can eat/drink where it won't ruin the flooring. Also, after eating/drinking you have to clean their face to keep their wrinkles clean or you'll run into skin disease issues.<br /><br />3. They aren't great with stairs once they get older. My boss has to carry his frenchies upstairs, and the youngest is only 5 years old. Due to their build, they have joint/back issues.<br /><br />4. They snore LOUD and they have flatulence issues (flatulence can be minimized with a good type of food, but do know it does happen at inappropriate times sometimes).<br /><br />5. They love to chew, so if you own a nice house either get him used to somewhere in the house that has nothing he can destroy, and get him used to chewing toys like nylabones. Even if you get him used to chewing bones, he WILL chew something in your house. My dog recently chewed through a mouthguard for hockey (not a biggie) and my christmas tree last year when I left him alone for an hour.<br /><br />6. As i stated before they generally end up having joint/back problems, and/or heart problems. They are bracheosphalic (sp) so they can also develop sleep apnea (sp) as well.<br /><br />That's about all i can give you that I can think of to know before you buy. Obviously do some research and maybe buy a book or 2 on the breed if you haven't already.. since it will give you everything from training to first aid measures.<br /><br />Also, if you do buy a frenchie one suggestion I have is to take him to obedience school as a puppy. It helps with them learning you're the boss, but the main reason I liked it was it taught my dog to get along with other dogs.<br /><br />One last thing is depending on where you live.. DO NOT leave them in the backyard un-attended. A dog worth $2000+ is likely going to get snatched. I know I have had people I dont know ask me if my dog is micro-chipped (who the hell asks that?)<br /><br />Sorry for the long response, hope it helps.. and trust me you'll love a bulldog if you get one, though they can be EXTREMELY stubborn.<br /><br />

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu277/Schencker/DSCF0895.jpg <--- PIC of my guy
3/19/11 1:09 AM
Lymie
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^^ Wow thanks a bunch dude. Thats just the sort of info I was looking for. Have done some more checking and still keen on getting a frenchie. Im now looking for a breader in the area with a solid reputation.

Thanks again schenck.
3/19/11 9:56 AM
Schenck88
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lymie - ^^^^^ Wow thanks a bunch dude. Thats just the sort of info I was looking for. Have done some more checking and still keen on getting a frenchie. Im now looking for a breader in the area with a solid reputation.

Thanks again schenck.

No problem. I originally had that written in paragraph form, but when I edited it to put in a pic of my pup, it screwed that up.

I can honeslty say though, that they are the best dog in the world for companionship. My guy doesn't leave my side, and he gets so exicited to see my little nephews.

Post up some pics if/when you get one please.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.