UnderGround Forums

Europe UnderGround >> Vacation in Ireland (Cork)

2/11/11 8:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SPA75
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I plan on taking the family to Cork Ireland (Great Grandparents are originally from County Cork) and was wondering if anyone from Ireland could give me info or advice.

1-Is there rail or bus service to go from Shannon airport to Cork?

2-Is Cork a decent city to vacation in or would I be better off visiting somewhere like Shannon or Dublin?

3-Is there public transportation around most larger cities?

4-Any bad areas to steer clear from in the city?

Any help would be appreciated!
2/17/11 12:24 PM
skeletor68
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 Not sure if there is a direct bus service to Cork from Shannon Airport, probably will be. If you want a train you'll need to go to Limerick first and get a train from there.

2 Cork is lovely, Fota Wildlife Park, Castlegregory, lots of nice places. That said since you'll be in Shannon (Co. Clare) there is loads of touristy stuff to do in Clare (my home county). The Cliffs of Moher, trad music and seafood in Doolin, the Burren. Lots to do there.

3 Public transport is costly here (along with most things, cost of living is completely out of proportion) so it is fine in the cities but can be fairly unreliable. Car rental can be expensive too but is probably a much better option to get around to everything. Not all tourist sites have good transport services to and from them.

4 Cork isn't too rough. A few places mightn't be great but I don't think you'll end up in them by accident. Certain parts of Limerick can be a bit dodgy and are easy to end up in, but to be honest you should be fine.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If you're in Ennis or Dublin at any point give me a shout, and if I'm around I'll buy you a pint.
2/21/11 6:25 PM
SPA75
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skeletor68, Thanks for the info. I plan on scheduling it around September. How's the weather that time of year?
2/22/11 3:47 AM
skeletor68
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SPA75 - Skeletor68, Thanks for the info. I plan on scheduling it around September. How's the weather that time of year?
Bollocks, same as the rest of the year!

8/3/11 2:37 PM
daire84
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SPA75  Skeletor has it nailed there. 
You forgot to mention the Aliwee caves on the Burron, they are amazing and well worth a look. 
Also if you can get out to the arron islands, they are beautiful, and they have lovely cliffs and ring forts to check out. 
I would highly suggest going to south Cork, to the likes of Castletownbere, deep south Cork, this is where you will see the most rural parts of ireland and meet some of the nicest people, Castletownbere in particular is a great little town and is very hospitable for tourists... 
Also, Kerry is just beside Cork, so if you do make it south, i suggest doing a road trip along the coast road there. You will see some wonderful things. Conors pass is an amazing part of the World.

And of course, if you want to see what our cities have to offer, Dublin, Cork, Clare, Galway all have lovely cities, Dublin being the biggest and more epensive probably. 
Dublin has a lot of greta things to see, Trinity college, Dublin castle, Christchurch, Dvlinia tour.

Anyway, let me know if you need any more advice, glad to help! And enjoy your trip..

Oh and yes, the wheather is never very reliable here. although september is usually find temperature wise, its never too hot or too cold at that time. Rain is our main pain in the ass
1/25/12 11:27 AM
Bootsy Collins
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Limerick: Come for the crime, stay for the Bootsy
1/25/12 11:56 AM
Skeletor68

Bootsy Collins - Limerick: Come for the crime, stay for the Bootsy

Bootsy I can't believe we haven't had an Irish OG night yet. If the UFC in Sweden is on at a normal time in a pub somewhere we should try and get a few of us together (no romo).
1/25/12 11:58 AM
Bootsy Collins
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skeletor68 - 
Bootsy Collins - Limerick: Come for the crime, stay for the Bootsy

Bootsy I can't believe we haven't had an Irish OG night yet. If the UFC in Sweden is on at a normal time in a pub somewhere we should try and get a few of us together (no romo).

AGREED
(Some homo)
4/3/12 10:43 AM
French Toast
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some good advice there. If you get the chance try and make your way up to Galway and have a trip around Connamara. Lovely scenery and some great little towns.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.