UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Addiction = Idolatry

2/12/11 4:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tope
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know. I know the definition declares a object, image or an idea can be idolatry. What if, your computer (more specifically) the interenet, wait, more specificly, the blogoshere, becomes your first priority rather than the one true and Holy God? What is this considered? Addiction of course, but worship? The Bible says, your thoughts reflect your actions, are we thinking about God more than the blogoshere?
2/23/11 9:20 PM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anything you put before God can be consitered an idol. this risk is ever-present, and we must examine ourselves daily to see if anything like this has crept in.

easier said than done. we, by nature, are rebellious and easily led astray and if our wills arent kept in check, then a hardness of heart is always the result.

the good news is, that if we keep in touch with God, (moment by moment, not just a couple prayers a day or week) he will keep us in him, and we will have no desire for anything but full and complete communication and relationship with him. in essence, he does it all for us if we are willing to let him do his perfect work in us
2/26/11 7:40 PM
Lahi
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It does seem like a big part of addiction is trying to make something else God, or be God yourself, in order to control your life, even at the cost of your sanity.
2/26/11 7:44 PM
Lahi
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So yeah, I would say someone is committing idolatry, no matter what their addiction is. I don't know about compulsive or obessive behavior, but I guess if you're putting something before God that's not good no matter how you look at it. I don't know that using the net or watching TV when you should be making time for God in some other way is idolatry, maybe more just avoiding intimacy and relationship with Him.
3/6/11 2:39 AM
Juijitsuboxer
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Colossians 3:4-6 (New International Version, ©2011)

4 When Christ, who is your[a] life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.[b

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.