UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Early Judo schools in U.S.

2/12/11 5:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
aaronlapoi
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Judo of Kano and Kyuzo Mifune seems like an incredible blend of what is now generally thought of as three separate arts, Judo, BJJ, and Japanese Jiu-Jitsu(standing joint locks). When Judo came to the U.S. in 1903 was the Judo taught similiar to that of Kano's/Mifune's? And if so, what happened to those schools/teachers over the years?
2/12/11 6:10 PM
Missing Glove Tape
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^I would love to see a documentary or something made about the seattle dojo and how it/its curriculum has evolved over time.

Nevertheless, I've seen some old judo journals before and a lot of the old school(2nd generation?) judoka, like Kotani and Ishikawa senseis, seemed to teach a lot more kata/self-defense techniques then we do now.
2/13/11 3:01 PM
Spartan79
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bring back old skool judo! Phone Post
2/13/11 9:52 PM
Seong gyeong
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.norwalkjudo.com/Norwalk_Judo_Dojo/History.html

Trained here when I was not living in Korea. Website says Kano visited the location (Japanese community center) which dates back to the early 1930s.

One of the more traditional places I've trained at. Excellent group of teachers. More emphasis given to ashi-waza than at many dojos, and ne-waza receives a sufficient amount of focus as well. Don't recall doing too much work on self-defense specifically, though.

Last time I attended, Blinky sensei was doing a lot of the instruction. Man's a judo encyclopedia!

Always a pleasure when visitors from Japan make an appearance.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.