UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> NYC area Jujitsu schools

2/13/11 1:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
graciesrule
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am amazed at how many Jujitsu schools(nonBJJ) are in NYC. Like Miyama Ryu, Sanuces Ryu, Yoshitsune, Samurai JJ, Vee Arnis Jitsu, etc. I did a Miyama Ryu seminar with Antonio Periera like 20 years ago. Just wondering what experiences you have had with these schools? Which are better than others?
2/15/11 10:18 PM
Missing Glove Tape
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No direct experience, but holy crap did you just bring me back to my blackbelt magazine reading days circa the early 90s. lol

Yoshitsune(Depasquale), especially. I sooooo remember the instructional video Michael D. did with Mike Swain. "Combat Judo, Streetwise Ju-Jitsu"

Never did know what the heck VAJ was supposed to be. Which one was the style with Ronald Duncan, I think, wearing the afro-centric hakama and claiming lineage to somekind of ninpo style as well?
3/10/11 2:58 PM
Willybone
421 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Missing Glove Tape - Never did know what the heck VAJ was supposed to be. 
Vee Arnis was founded by Florendo Visatacion. One of his more famous students was Moses Powell, who went on to found his own style. Vee Arnis led to Moses who contributed to the explosion of "urban" martial styles in NYC in the 70s. 
My HPK instructor had lots of history with students and offshoots of Vee Arnis, and our school had their instructors over several times for workshops.
It has the re-direction and joint locking of aikido/hapkido, the striking of old school jiujitsu, and weapon styles taken from arnis/escrima. From what I learned in a few workshops, it was very much like our HKD style in technique, but there was an emphasis on "toughness" of the students. They were pretty hardcore, routinely pushing locks past discomfort into pain.
For TMA styles, the NYC brands of jiujitsu that came out of this lineage are pretty hardcore.

3/11/11 1:25 AM
shen
930 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a different take on that stuff.

I once trained at a seminar with Moses Powell and about 100 "Afrocentric" guys in Hakamas shortly before he died.

It was interesting stuff, but ultimately kinda nuts.

I know some of those guys are supposed to be "tough", but WTF are they actually practicing? The techniques are so far beyond flashy they actually get into the realm of absurdity.

I just REALLY don't get the Moses Powell derived arts.

3/13/11 7:27 PM
e. kaye

I am a second degree BB in Zujitsu under Master Chaka Zulu.   Zulu teaches a combination of Nisei Goju and jujistu as taught by Moses Powell.     I learned some very useful stuff from him.  Zulu is one of those people that is "special" .   
3/18/11 2:42 PM
jrrrrr
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi e kaye,
we had lunch together with stickgrappler awhile ago. Chaka Zulu is good people. I trained with him for a semester or two when he was at the Mcburney YMCA many years ago.

graciesrule,
NYC has all types of judo/jujitsu based schools. Everything from the "urban" jj schools to tradional japanese.

The real thing to decide is what ss the intent of training.
self defense, sport, martial way.
From there it's researching the schools(teachers) intent and training methodology to decide if it has the same goals as you.

...and since your name has the word gracies..you have Renzo gracie, the machado's and other BJJ schools throught the 5 boro's...
my only pet peeve is some of the BJJ schools have most of the randori from the knees. Not enough standing grappling, going for the throw/takedown... can't really develop kuzushi from the knees.
3/18/11 2:48 PM
Missing Glove Tape

Don't forget Oishi judo club. It's a NYC (judo) instutition.

http://www.oishi-judo.com/
3/30/11 6:05 PM
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
I have seen seminar footage of Shihan Miguel Ibarra and am curious about training with him someday.  As I understand it, he is a Miyama ryu student of Mr. Pereira, as well as holding rank in Daito Ryu and some other JJJ and AikiJJ styles.  He seems to emphasize fairly practical, straightforward techniques out of the older traditions.  I believe he's located in the Bronx.

4/13/11 6:43 PM
Oyama
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember his ads back in the 1980's I was always intrigued. He appeared to have some very interesting law-enforcement orientated techniques.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.