UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gil Melendez: 'I’m the No. 1 fighter in the world'

2/14/11 10:31 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1056 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez hasn’t set foot in the cage in nearly a year following his win over Shinya Aoki last April. Since that time, Melendez welcomed a new baby into the world and recovered from a thumb injury, but now he’s healthy and ready to dominate again.

“There’s a couple of things to weigh out with Strikeforce. Strikeforce is a great organization, and they’ve taken care of me really well,” Melendez told MMAWeekly Radio. “Everyone knows the UFC is the biggest organization out there, branding yourself and getting your name out there, it’s no secret that they’re the best. There wasn’t much to weigh out. These agreements are structured for a champion not easily to walk away, but there was things to debate about with Strikeforce here and there."

“But at the end of the day I came to the conclusion that it was a great deal on the table and they showed how much I mean to the organization. At the end of the day I’m pretty happy with my deal and yes I’m getting taken care of pretty well.”

“I think it’s important for me to dominate now. I really truly believe I’m the No. 1 fighter in the world, and the only way I’m going to get that spot is by dominating. I can’t have these draws or get knocked down or almost lose, I need to completely dominate everyone out there. I think I’m ready to do that."

“I’m ready to go. Give me the next big show, I’m ready to go. I think if things got settled a little earlier with the contract issues I would have been fighting a little bit sooner, but since I got done recently, I’m planning on fighting on the next big show. I’ve been waiting for way too long.”

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

2/14/11 10:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ABE FROMAN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no
2/14/11 10:38 AM
BrockbackMountain
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No.
2/14/11 10:40 AM
bonersaurus
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The headline made me lol. Reading the actual article made me excited to see him fight again. He seems honest and motivated, but he has a lot to do to be considered the best. Phone Post
2/14/11 10:46 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
 Nope.
2/14/11 10:48 AM
Dacha
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no and will never be
2/14/11 10:48 AM
Str4nger D4nger
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bet Gil stands in front of the mirror flexing and hitting on himself for hours each day. You're good son but come back to reality. Phone Post
2/14/11 10:49 AM
myee8
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WTF is Gilbert smoking? Good yes, no.1 hell no...
2/14/11 10:50 AM
epwar
649 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL! Based on what, Gil? Aoki refusing to get off his ass for 5 rounds while you stood over him?
2/14/11 10:54 AM
JohnnyLawrence
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not even #1 in his camp.....Or Strikeforce, or "the World"....
2/14/11 10:55 AM
Titanium Rhino
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LMFAO @ this! Alvarez would smoke him and he knows it!
2/14/11 10:56 AM
orcus

The funny thing is that after his win over Aoki, he said in an interview that he is #3 and it would be hard for him to climb because Edgar and BJ were #1 and #2 and he couldn't fight them.

Weird how without Edgar losing, and without fighting himself, he has climbed to #1.
2/14/11 10:56 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know that I disagree. Gilbert vs Alvarez needs to happen Phone Post
2/14/11 10:58 AM
Steve4192
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Gil, but he gave up his claim to #1 when he signed a long-term deal with an organization with no top 10 fighters (other than himself) in his weight class.

With the apparent death of DREAM, he can't count on Coker's FEG connections to get him fights with Aoki/Kawajiri, and with Bellator having a new TV contract in place, they seem to have lost their urgency to book the Alvarez fight. His fighting future is going to spent fighting prospects who are looking to build their name off of him (Beerbohm, Evangelista) and veterans whose careers are in decline (Thomson, JZ).
2/14/11 11:01 AM
Peckerwood

I like Gilbert a lot, seems like a good guy. But I have to shake my head at this.

If he truely beleives he is the #1 fighter in the world then why not prove it???

Why would he re-sign a multi year agreement with Strikeforce instead of PROVING he is #1 and go to the UFC?

There are ZERO fights for him in SF to prove he is a top contender. Sure, the Kawajiri fight is interesting but not a top caliber fight.

What is he going to prove by beating Josh again and Lyle Beerbohm?

He is in his prime so why not do what Jake Shields did and go PROVE that you are the best in the world?
2/14/11 11:16 AM
Employer

won't say he never could be.... but he's not the #1 fighter in his own camp at this point
2/14/11 11:21 AM
bonersaurus
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did anyone read the article or just the sensational headline? I don't think he's #1 but nothing he says is that bad.

“Everyone knows the UFC is the biggest organization out there, branding yourself and getting your name out there, it’s no secret that they’re the best. There wasn’t much to weigh out. These agreements are structured for a champion not easily to walk away, but there was things to debate about with Strikeforce here and there."

“I think it’s important for me to dominate now. I really truly believe I’m the No. 1 fighter in the world, and the only way I’m going to get that spot is by dominating. I can’t have these draws or get knocked down or almost lose, I need to completely dominate everyone out there. I think I’m ready to do that."

Sounds like he couldn't really do much because of his champion's clause. He also seems like he knows he has a lot to prove. Good interview, terrible headline.

2/14/11 11:29 AM
Ramon Maroni

Gil

Put the bong down or give it too Nick
2/14/11 11:55 AM
Peckerwood

I guess I discounted the champion clause part...although Jake was a champion when he left the SF org??

It's all speculation until Alvarez and Gil get into the UFC and fight guys like Jim Miller, Melvin, Gray...
2/14/11 11:58 AM
EBM
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/14/11 12:00 PM
#3 Lightweight = #25-50 in teh world
2/14/11 12:04 PM
Nicolo Toscani

Edited: 02/14/11 12:05 PM
Gilber Melendez - “I think it’s important for me to dominate now. I really truly believe I’m the No. 1 fighter in the world..."
in context...

i think gilbert is stating he is willing to prove that he's no. #1 in the world, as opposed to what the thread title tends to look like. he obviously hasn't fought every one in the world... or every lightweight, for that matter. 
2/14/11 12:04 PM
MMAfan55
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He could be if he proved it instead of saying it. He needs to fight Alvarez and a couple other people to make me believe. Phone Post
2/14/11 12:09 PM
Steve4192
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Peckerwood - I guess I discounted the champion clause part...although Jake was a champion when he left the SF org??

Jake didn't have a champion's clause. He was still on his EliteXC contract and EliteXC did not have champion's clauses.

That said, Gil could have ridden out the Strikeforce champion's clause if he really wanted out. Those clauses don't extend indefinitely. He would have had to take a couple of extra fights under his old contract, but he could have escaped eventually.

I can't really blame the guy for taking the bird in the hand rather than waiting for two in the bush. If Strikeforce was offering him elite-level compensation today, he would have been a fool to turn it down for a chance to make it big in the UFC two years down the road. If he had chosen to wait another year or two for a shot in the UFC, he might have gotten injured in training or suffered an upset in the cage that negatively impacted his value on the free agent market.

Athletes really don't have the luxury of long-term planning. Their careers can implode on a moments notice, so it is better to take a good deal RIGHT NOW rather than waiting for the 'right deal'.
2/14/11 12:10 PM
Mr Sponge

No Phone Post
2/14/11 12:29 PM
jjj2121

Just like Nick Diaz is the best WW in the world...

These big fish in a small pond declaring themselves the best is sad.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.