UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Brown Scapular

2/23/11 4:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheStewedOwl
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, members of other Christian sects would not be considered members of "other religions," but as fellow Christians.

(Except for the Pentecostals)

(No, j/k.)
2/25/11 3:30 AM
Juijitsuboxer
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol, I love me some Catholic Charismatics BTW!!!
2/25/11 5:00 AM
RoidsGracie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha yes it does seem to me sometimes that being Catholic is like a seperate ethnicity. I've noticed with a lot of older Christian traditions; they seemed to be tied closely with ethnicity (ie. Irish Catholic or Greek Orthodox). I have a buddy who thinks religion is silly but still calls himself a Catholic; even though he makes sure to mention that he is non-practicing.

With the newer traditions like evangelicalism and Pentacostals, there seems to be a lot more emphasis on having the correct beliefs/doctrine. I guess that's what gives them their identity and makes them stand out from other groups since these type of Christians aren't associated with a culture or ethnicity like a Catholic, Jew, Coptic, etc. would be.
2/25/11 9:14 AM
TheStewedOwl
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RoidsGracie -  Haha yes it does seem to me sometimes that being Catholic is like a seperate ethnicity. I've noticed with a lot of older Christian traditions; they seemed to be tied closely with ethnicity (ie. Irish Catholic or Greek Orthodox). I have a buddy who thinks religion is silly but still calls himself a Catholic; even though he makes sure to mention that he is non-practicing.

With the newer traditions like evangelicalism and Pentacostals, there seems to be a lot more emphasis on having the correct beliefs/doctrine. I guess that's what gives them their identity and makes them stand out from other groups since these type of Christians aren't associated with a culture or ethnicity like a Catholic, Jew, Coptic, etc. would be.

Well, some ethnicities and regions in America do have strongly held religious identifications, like southerners' (white and black) identification with the Baptists and Utahans with LDS. Mormons probably feel the same almost ethnic identification with their faith as being part of their roots, back generations in Utah. I think an agnostic Mormon who left his church would still consider himself, at some deep level, a Mormon. Garrison Keillor has talked at length about Scandianvian-American cultural and social traditions springing from the Lutheran Church.
2/27/11 12:44 AM
Juijitsuboxer
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/27/11 12:47 AM
Galatians 3:28:

There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male and female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:9-11

9 Don’t lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds. 10 Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him. 11 In this new life, it doesn’t matter if you are a Jew or a Gentile,[a] circumcised or uncircumcised, barbaric, uncivilized,[b] slave, or free. Christ is all that matters, and he lives in all of us.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.