UnderGround Forums

MLBGround >> 2011: The Year of The Tigers?

10/17/11 1:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RabbiVJ
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark1 -  Good series and good season. It's kinda sad that they just got so beat up at the end. A healthy Boesch, Young, V Mart and Avila would have given them a much better chance. Oh well.

On to the lions and Wings.

Mark Phone Post

Theres always next year!
10/18/11 11:37 PM
adjust
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it was a good run. had a great year and a lot (a lot) of fun watching games, wouldn't trade it for anything. i actually predicted 2012 was the year, so this is all ancillary ;)

hey mark, coincidentally i was at a wedding on saturday too. pretty much everyone was constantly checking their phones for score updates, lots of peaks and valleys throughout the night.
10/19/11 9:48 AM
Mark1

Well, now that the season is done, we can start with the trade/FA rumors.  Mr. Illitch has never been scared to spend money and get what he wants or needs (or thinks he needs).  He's got the Maggs money and Gullien money coming off the books now ($22m)

Jose Reyes?  That would require moving Jhonny to 3rd where he wasn't happy in Cleveland.  Would he do it for the Tigers?  maybe.  But he would be expensive.  The Mets love to spend like tards.

Aramis Ramirez?  He's the latest name to be tossed around for replacement at 3rd.

Peter Bourjos?  With Trout coming up, there might not be room for Pete.  Could Dombroski put together a nice little 3 way trade?  I'd rather see him in CF than AJax.  Sorry.

CJ Wilson?  He'd be a great addition to an already strong rotation.  JV/Fister/CJ/Max/Porcello...  nice.  But the Yanks and Sox need pitching, so they will bid him up through the roof.  Thanks assholes.  He'll be a $20m/yr 3rd starter. 

Resign Santiago.

Mark
10/21/11 1:57 AM
adjust

yeah, mr. illitch is 82 and he's done nothing but make it public how bad he wants a ring, if memory serves he said in a SI article that he would easily trade one of his stanley cups for a ring. so i've always surmised that at that age in the game, he's willing to do whatever it takes to either earn or buy a championship. there's just something about the pieces of the puzzle never fitting quite right in the last 5-6 years, even if it should be a no doubt roster on paper.

with that said, and what you said about about maggs/carlos money, this off season should be *real* interesting...

don't know if i'm drinking the reyes kool-aid yet. always seems like they never grab the obvious a-list guy in the free agency, in exchange for the b+ guys and a handful of b-c level guys. i remember the cabrera acquistion being big, but it seemed kind of in the shadow of the maggs acquistion which people were still riding high off of due to his 06 post season performance. then again i wanted them to pick up crawford so badly and aside from victor's knee, am really glad they didn't... then again i'm usually way off on my trade suspects anyway, lol.

bourjos is hot, i like your thinking, and ajax is still in development - not to mention he choked defensively in the post season (not even going to talk about his bat.) but i doubt it'll happen, with losing granderson in the 3-way, anything less than keeping ajax where he is would be admitting they were wrong.

ramirez, i'd rather see a young gun at third, or peralta as you mentioned if we fill SS. i can understand why he doesn't like third, seems like there's more public pressure to perform at third and a lot of blown games if you can't hold the baseline defensively. jhonny seems pretty low key and might be one of those players that is better when people aren't focusing on him.

now that i'm thinking about it, i would be ok with kelly earning the position in spring training, and making an upgrade by the all-star if we're not getting the offensive production out of him.

i like cj wilson, but i don't think he's any better than scherzer - but much better than penny, so it's seems like semi-lateral movement in terms of trading up.

a caller was talking about going after adam dunn (again) on the radio yesterday and i couldn't believe it. the hosts were even talking like it was a potential reality... buehrle and danks are up this season too, but that's more lateral movement, imo.

would love to see the tigers get in on some of the yu darvish hype, and i think porcello is going to get shopped, if not offseason, all-star deadline for sure. he's got value, and it's just not working for him in detroit. with turner potentially making the fifth, i think that really marginalizes porcello's value and we need a vet in the four slot.

santiago's going to get more money somewhere else anyway, so i'm sure he'll be moving on.

and i know he's not free agent, but i *really* like johnny giavotella at 2nd, personally i think the kid is a star in the making.

didn't we get a top round draft at catcher a couple of years ago? i seem to remember during the laird years spotting that with some sense of relief...

and whatever happens, for the love of god, perry has GOT to go.
10/27/11 4:53 PM
adjust

woah, rumors flying about cano's contract now...

talk about a fix at 2B!
12/6/11 12:05 AM
adjust

first day of winter meetings and we now know for sure no reyes.

with moves so far like bringing laird back for a 1-year, i just have no idea anymore.
12/6/11 7:30 AM
Mark1

The tigers will add Daniel Murphy at 3rd and Cespedes in OF.

Mark Phone Post
12/6/11 10:34 PM
adjust

Tigs Town: Tigers Emerge as Front-runner for Cespedes

Mark Anderson quotes MLB scouts on the Tigers' interest in OF Yoenis Cespedes:

"They've been around him as much or more than any other team," said a scout in the Dominican Republic. "It seems like every time there are teams there to see him, the Tigers are right there in front."

In his latest Detroit News column, Lynn Henning confirms the Tigers believe Cespedes is a big-time player in the making.

"The Tigers will make their most energized pitch ever for an international athlete."

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2011/12/6/2616443/tigs-town-tigers-emerge-as-front-runner-for-cespedes

i really hope this pans out, this guy is a five-tool for sure.

murphy seems like perennial damaged goods, but as mentioned in my previous post anything could happen, at this point i wouldn't be surprised to see dirks get traded and go on to hit .350 for the mets.
1/24/12 3:27 PM
Darup

Tigers sign Prince Fielder. I can honestly say I didn't see that coming.
1/24/12 3:37 PM
Mark1

WHAT?!?! Has it been confirmed???

Jesus christ,

Mark

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.