UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Videos: Side & Reverse Side Triangles (Sankaku)

2/16/11 1:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LittleTony
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMb_ri2N1lQ
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLfY5C68vz8

Enjoy the videos on the popular judo positions yoko sankaku. Part one explores entries into the positions while part two gets into some controls and submissions. I have been having a lot of success with these techniques and everytime I think back to my early days of training Jiu-Jitsu when the Judo guys from the area would come in to work these techniques. For some reason over the years, the BJJ community really hasn't focused on these attacks. Anyways let me know what you think.

"little" Tony
www.soulfight.net
2/17/11 11:07 PM
vegard
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mt
2/19/11 9:14 AM
judoblackbelt
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Appreciate you sharing BJJ application to the turtle attack. Yours is more submission oriented. Where ours is half submission/half pinning teckniques. You are right, I almost never see these attacks at a BJJ tournament. My Critic:
1) we yank forward a couple of times to open up the turtle defense then insert the legs. Release our collar grip, reach down and grab the the cloth near the elbow then do the turnover.
2) We put more emphasis on trying up the near arm with the jacket end cloth very tight on the wrist bone.
3) We put more emphasis on pulling the across far arm kind of stretching it before we competely lock the legs. This is what makes the choke more effective.
4) We do pin transitions where we must turn on our stomachs if the choke is not working.
5) we also practice turtle attacks if uke goes flat. This involves inserting your hand(flat) under uke near the waist and feeding to the other side,pulling the cloth down to it like a gut wrench. A little finessse is need to manuever uke to get your hand under their waist. You have to create an opening so to speak.
Lastly, they are ways to set up sankaku from other positions besides turtle as you demonstrated. thanks.
2/19/11 3:29 PM
LittleTony
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judoblackbelt,

Thank you for the critic and tips. This month I want to start Judo instruction formally in the South Bay area in Los Angeles. Looking at South Bay Judo or Gardena Judo Club. Anyone have any advise on these clubs?

Tony
LittleTony

Judoblackbelt,

Thank you for the critic and tips. This month I want to start Judo instruction formally in the South Bay area in Los Angeles. Looking at South Bay Judo or Gardena Judo Club. Anyone have any advise on these clubs?

Tony
LittleTony

Judoblackbelt,

Tony
2/19/11 8:07 PM
judoblackbelt
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tony
I am not familar with these clubs since I am from the Midwest. But there are many forum members who know the California judo scene. Josh Resnick, Garry Butts , Justin Flores and probalby more.
2/21/11 6:23 AM
judoblackbelt

Tony, both clubs have National level players I see by the results from the 2010 Nationals. So either looks good. It is always better to visit them and observe to determine the overall skill level and instruction. And to see if there are players your size/age to work out with. I am older and would not go to a club with a majority of young studs. I look for some gray.
2/22/11 1:07 PM
faixa rua
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/22/11 1:07 PM
i hear gardena might not be in the near future.....there is a lot of bullshit and politics there, but beside the 3 people who are running the club to the ground, gardena WAS a great dojo....

South Bay, Im not sure how many adults are there

I want to get a friday morning class going

I'll pm you if it ever happens
2/22/11 7:22 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gardena got their stuff figured out... The right people are now in charge.

i have not been to southbay so i cant comment, but they do have some okay players there too...

they are both really local clubs with a few HS aged fellas who do alright.
2/22/11 7:32 PM
faixa rua
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i just looked at their site, interesting.
2/22/11 9:34 PM
LittleTony

Thank you guys. I will visit Gardena next Thursday when I get back in town.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.