UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> The Big Five For Sport - Part 1: The Squat

2/17/11 11:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fight! UK Online
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fight! UK, Online Editor

Strength and conditioning coach to professional MMA fighters and rugby players, John Heaton details his number-one lift for an athlete - The Squat.

The squat is commonly known amongst strength and power athletes as the king of all exercises. For this series of articles I am going to cheat. I am grouping the squat into a short list of variations as I think that there is no better or worse version. Top strength coaches are always arguing as to which exercises are the best. Mark Rippetoe classes the back squat as 'the daddy', whilst Mike Boyle prefers the single leg variation. It is almost like the top carpenters arguing whether the saw is better than the hammer. I say use them all to suit your purpose.

My list is a) Back Squat, b) Front Squat, c) Overhead Squat, d) Split Squat and e) Single Leg Squat.

MOAR:

www.yourmma.tv/training/details.asp/c/1/id/74/the-big-five-for-sport-the-squat.htm

2/18/11 1:34 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The bar location and grip make Mark Rippetoe cry..
2/24/11 1:19 PM
None So Blind
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL ^^^

Not to mention the neck angle.
3/13/11 3:15 AM
KELLY_Duzan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

strength and conditioning coach for professional Mixed Martial tells which exercies are best.
3/18/11 11:27 PM
joweez

does anyone else mix it up? just like everything else i thought variety was key. ill do spit, front or plain old regular squats depending on the situation i'm lookin at mentally.
3/18/11 11:35 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends on what your version of "mixing it up" means.  ex. Are you talking about conjugate training ala Louie Simmons (variations of the squat) or are you talking about random bullshit like Crossfit?
3/19/11 2:10 AM
joweez

well i wont change up a workout in a workout, but if one day i dont feel like reppin big weight, ill split squat it or if my wrists cant take a front squat, ill overhead squat that day

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.