UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Hackintosh, worth it or not?

2/18/11 3:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SlapUsilly
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gonna build myself a computer in the fall, should i bother to go through the hassle to find all the parts/hardware necessary to build a hackintosh, or should i focus on building the best PC i can with the money i plan on using.

I'm going back to school for some web certifications and stuff and i'm thinking i can get a better bang for my buck if i build my own system.
2/18/11 4:55 PM
jd11b
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get a Mac Mini... or two.
2/19/11 9:32 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whether its worth it is up to you. Yes, you get more bang for the buck. But its a project and you'll have to do the research, parts, install, support, etc... on your own. Pick your poison.
2/20/11 1:39 PM
faixa rua
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i was considering getting a used laptop make it a mac or preferably linux machine just for fucking around
2/20/11 6:12 PM
asdf
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no, spend the time you would've spent building it on something more productive for your career.

In terms of investing time into your career, I don't think it yields a good return.
7/22/12 1:35 AM
Retired Douchebag
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dunno if you ever managed to build one, but I just built a Hackintosh using an old Q6600. Had to buy a new motherboard and a couple hard drives (including an SSD). It was the toughest thing I've ever had to do. I experienced more kernal panics than one should ever have to in a lifetime. 

I used a 6670 for video. I also purchased a DLINK wireless card for internet (the couple USB wireless antennas I tried using failed after a MAC update). And some other trinkets. Just bought another LCD to go with the rid with the money I saved from not having to buy a Mac Mini, iMac or Mac pro. New LCD cost me $200, MoBo was $80, hard drives were $200, extra components came to about $100, and OS X Lion cost me $70. So $650 for a new mac that Lion says is a Mac Pro, now that's a deal! 

You can always save money and just buy a Mac mini for $1,000, then upgrade the ram in there as well as upgrade the hard drive to an SSD. The latest mini has a black round thing that resembles a jar lid to get easy access to components. 
9/6/12 10:49 AM
MaddogMorgan
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I had an old Q6600 & GA-X48-DS5 lying around. Worked fine with iatkos l2. ATI card was supported OOTB. My GTX460 with crazy natit. 8800 sith the ol' nvinjector IIRC. I also used multibeast post install for network and audio fixes. -THAT- tool is essential.

You can even get app store/icloud working with some simple tricks.

I learnt a lot during the process and now I deal with OS X stuff quite regularly.
9/7/12 6:13 PM
Retired Douchebag

Haole - 
Retired Douchebag -  Dunno if you ever managed to build one, but I just built a Hackintosh using an old Q6600. Had to buy a new motherboard and a couple hard drives (including an SSD). It was the toughest thing I've ever had to do. I experienced more kernal panics than one should ever have to in a lifetime. 

I used a 6670 for video. I also purchased a DLINK wireless card for internet (the couple USB wireless antennas I tried using failed after a MAC update). And some other trinkets. Just bought another LCD to go with the rid with the money I saved from not having to buy a Mac Mini, iMac or Mac pro. New LCD cost me $200, MoBo was $80, hard drives were $200, extra components came to about $100, and OS X Lion cost me $70. So $650 for a new mac that Lion says is a Mac Pro, now that's a deal! 

You can always save money and just buy a Mac mini for $1,000, then upgrade the ram in there as well as upgrade the hard drive to an SSD. The latest mini has a black round thing that resembles a jar lid to get easy access to components. <br type="_moz" />

A Mac Mini costs $600, $750 after 8GB Ram & a small SSD upgrades

This is correct, but at the time of the writing, I was referring to the i7 core model with OS X Lion server, which I should have clarified in the original post. The model you referred to is the i5 model which is still a decent processor and faster than the Q6600 in benchmarks. Of course there will be some things you will give up when going from hackintosh to mac mini, biggest thing being a CD player (which isn't a big deal if you are willing to either get an external CD player for installations of software, or can just find all firmware/install software via internet). 

Cost wise, though I did spend more than I wanted, keep in mind that in my cost was an additional 32inch 1080p LCD, so now I'm rocking two 32" LCDs out of my hackintosh which is useful for Logic as well as Final Cut Pro. If you did the same with the Mac mini, you'd have an HDMI out for one monitor, but for dual display you would have to buy an LCD with the Thunderbolt/mini display port output, which at the very cheapest will cost you another $300 or so, though you will gain resolution. 

You will save tons of headaches with the mini mac option however and the small, little tight package is definitely worth it. Being me though I would have just bought the $1,000 mac mini server then did the SSD + Ram upgrade. 
9/7/12 6:21 PM
Retired Douchebag

MaddogMorgan - Yeah I had an old Q6600 & GA-X48-DS5 lying around. Worked fine with iatkos l2. ATI card was supported OOTB. My GTX460 with crazy natit. 8800 sith the ol' nvinjector IIRC. I also used multibeast post install for network and audio fixes. -THAT- tool is essential.

You can even get app store/icloud working with some simple tricks.

I learnt a lot during the process and now I deal with OS X stuff quite regularly.

Did you go 10.6.8 SL or 10.7.4 Lion? I have the iAtkos install CD but every time I ran it it kept saying "Configuration not allowed" then go to a kernal panic, so I switched to iBoot CD. That got me to be able to install Snow Leopard 10.6.3. At this config, I was able to do everything full function such as use the internet as well as sound, without the need to run a script in multi beast and/or in my case, UserDSDT. As soon as I tried to upgrade to 10.6.8, not only did I lose internet, I no longer had sound. I read up on a shitload of problems with Apple's Snow Leopard updates, so I decided to just upgrade to 10.7 Lion. 

10.7 had its own issues in this Q6600 Hack build. Internet worked but I had to buy a DLINK D300 to emulate the airport extreme card. Sound didn't work so I had to do something in UserDSDT to get it to work, and also with the Ati card I was using, I had to write a script in DSDT to disable some video features during the boot up process. 

Other than that, I can't get it into sleep mode (I'm not sure of ANY configuration of mobos/processors that allow this). I can only get it to shutdown when all USB is disabled, otherwise I have to hold down the power button until everything shuts down. AND I still get at least one kernal panic on startup. Otherwise, dream build and Lion sees it as a quad core mac pro so I'm happy. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.