UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Harout Terzyan Youtube techniques (sambo throw...)

2/20/11 11:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seong gyeong
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember hearing about this guy before I ever actually trained and was just a fan of martial arts. He was one of Gokor's guys at Hayastan, and those who knew him always talked about how much of a beast he was. But from what I can gather online, he liked partying too much, or never took training seriously enough, to launch a big-time career. (Also, saw an interview where Gokor said that he had "no brains" or something like that.)

Anyway, the other day I came across his clips on Youtube. First time I've ever seen him; really does have imposing size.

Here are two clips that are appropriate (at least somewhat) for this forum:

("Fake forward front throw")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA8ndJlcD74

("Sambo throw")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sHncruTfXs

Haven't checked out the other vids he's got but there are plenty that I'll be happy to look over later.

Also, just wondering if anybody had the chance to train with him at any time?
2/21/11 6:35 AM
judoblackbelt
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Both throws are done in judo from a normal lapel and sleeve grip. Faking a forward throw to get uke to block and doing a rear drop throw or getting the opponent moving in a circle then attacking to the opposiote side is basic judo setups. I didn't see anything that would suggest a highly skilled player. If he did those moves against skilled players in competition then I would be impressed.
2/21/11 9:43 AM
Seong gyeong
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been trying but I can't find video footage of him in any sort of competition.
2/21/11 7:16 PM
judoblackbelt
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just curious what makes his style/himself so special? You can learn much more watching world class judo players. The different attacks/defenses/transitions they use. Unless you are into no-gi only and then those videos would be more applicable to the no-gi gripping/setup of throws.
2/21/11 9:18 PM
Seong gyeong

judoblackbelt - Just curious what makes his style/himself so special? You can learn much more watching world class judo players. The different attacks/defenses/transitions they use. Unless you are into no-gi only and then those videos would be more applicable to the no-gi gripping/setup of throws.

Regarding what makes him so special, I'm just basing it on everything I've heard/read. Here's the Gokor interview I was talking about:

http://www.ironlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25924

GC: I’ve got a lot of fighters. Harut Terzian, the big dude in Las Vegas. He’s won most every fight he’s in and he’s one of the strongest guys in my school. Basically he’s teaching Tito [Ortiz] and Ricco [Rodriguez] now. He just don’t have a brain, that’s all. Everything else is good, his body, his techniques he’s like a computer. He’s strong, he beat all the champions today, he’s played with them. Even the champions today come up and say, ‘Gokor, this guy is awesome. We are the champions and he plays like a kitten.? But he doesn’t have no brain, that’s the problem. I give him everything except brains.

IF: Right, does he compete at all?

GC: A lot, yeah. He competed a lot before. He wins most of everything. He beat everybody. He never fight in the UFC, they’re begging me now to have Harut there. They said, ‘Gokor, he can go straight to the championship.? I talked to Harut and it looks like I change his mind he says, ‘Okay I’ll do it.? Then they call me for April 2nd and I say, ‘Harut do you want to do April 2nd?? ‘No I have to train harder, I have to be ready.? Well, I don’t know if he’s really going to do it or not because I never understand that kid. One day we wake up with yes, another day we wake up with no. So I don’t know.

(Granted, this interview is from 2004.)

Anyway, I agree that it's more beneficial to watch world class judo players. Just surprised that I found some clips of this guy after so many years of not seeing anything.
2/22/11 6:51 AM
judoblackbelt

Thanks. I have seen some hi -level player's similar to what you describe. A beast physically and good judo/skills. But then they come up against a very experienced player and get frustrated by the gripping and lose. Become upset. Not to say this is him, but you need the mental when you get into a fight with someone who can frustrate you that doesn't allow you out physical them.
2/22/11 11:39 AM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have trained with him a couple of times. He was very skillful and talented but he was like most of Gokor's teens/young adults figthers too much drinking, females, and no mentoring. What a waste!
2/22/11 8:24 PM
Seong gyeong

Thanks for the post. Looks like all the talk about his not being properly focused was true.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.