UnderGround Forums

RugbyGround >> Tell me about Magners League and Aviva Premiership

2/22/11 11:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
seg
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My American cable tv provider just added Fox Soccer Plus, which it appears will allow me to watch selected Magners League and Aviva Premiership matches.

I will now be able to provide the Rugbyground with my insightful and brilliant analysis of Northern Hemisphere rugby union.

However, I do not know shit about either of these competitions or the teams.  Please explain the structure of the competitions and who I should adopt as my preferred sides.  Otherwise I will be forced to choose based upon who has the prettiest jumpers.
2/22/11 2:44 PM
fingers 'n' teeth
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shit, Fox soccer shows Magners league? Thanks for the heads up. Gonna have to get on that.

Magners league is basically the "celtic" league but they've recently added 2 italian sides.

contains regional sides from Wales, scotland and Ireland

Welsh
Ospreys (swansea and neath valley)
Scarlets (llanelli and west wales)
Blues (cardiff)
Dragons (Newport and gwent valleys)

Irish
Munster
Leinster
connacht
ulster

Scottish
Edinburgh
glasgow

italian
Benniton -treviso
Arioni

They all play each other a couple of times and the best schedule gets the trophy. Munster usually cleans up so you should support them like the badwagon jumper you are.

Avia Premiership (used to be Guiness Premiership) is the
English Heathen League. Made soley of English teams. Same deal, all play twice, best record wins it. As much as it pains me to say it, its a Tough league with a lot of money in it. Probably better quality than the Magners. I've listed the current table so you should go for Leicster all though they are heathen scum.

1 Leicester
2 Saracens
3 Gloucester
4 Northampton
5 Harlequins
6 Bath
7 London Irish
8 Wasps
9 Exeter
10 Sale
11 Newcastle
12 Leeds Carnegie
2/22/11 3:07 PM
seg
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My new channel is Fox Soccer Plus, which I beleive is a separate channel from the regular Fox Soccer channel.

I am a huge Munster and Leicester fan!
2/22/11 3:13 PM
fingers 'n' teeth
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

seg - My new channel is Fox Soccer <b>Plus</b>, which I beleive is a separate channel from the regular Fox Soccer channel.

bolocks. i have to get my fucking rugby from somewhere and i have no clue how to get it.

I am a huge Munster and Leicester fan!

typical. no taste.
2/22/11 3:21 PM
seg

Fox Soccer Plus is a premium network that complements Fox Soccer Channel by providing the complete international sports experience. Live, exclusive soccer matches from the best leagues in the world include England’s Barclays Premier League, the UEFA Champions League, England’s FA Cup, Coca-Cola Championship, Carling Cup and England Men’s National Team as well as Italy’s Serie A.

For the true global sports connoisseur Fox Soccer Plus offers premium rugby from the Magners League, the Guinness Premiership, Heineken Cup, ABSA Currie Cup and Tri-Nations series, among other competitions.

Read more about Fox Soccer Plus
Fox Soccer Plus here: FAQ
2/24/11 5:00 AM
Squatdog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For FUCK'S SAKE, why aren't they showing the Super 15?

The season just began last weekend.
2/24/11 3:32 PM
seg

Squat:

From what I can figure out, there is no Southern Hemisphere coverage as of yet.  My initial exposure to rugby years ago was the Super 14 and NPC, and really wish they would add that coverage. 

That's how I learned all the NZ players, which has resulted in me being labelled a front runner on this board.  When I first started watching all I could get was Southern Hemisphere rugby, now all I get is Northern Hemisphere.

I know you guys all hate the NRL and AFL, but I used to love to watch that as well.  Hoping those coverages are some day available again the States. 

ESPN did cover the AFL Grand Finals, and BBC America is providing one 6 Nations game a week, so there is a start.

Also, although I love to troll you on other threads (and vice versa), I'm glad to see that you are ok after the recent tragic earthquake and its aftermath.
2/24/11 4:19 PM
Squatdog

The IRB really need to make a big push to have the Super 15 aired on an American network (even if it's just a game of the week, or highlight packages). Super Rugby coverage comes directly after the Padball season and is usually of a much highly quality than the Northern Hemisphere counterparts.

I know you guys all hate the NRL and AFL, but I used to love to watch that as well. Hoping those coverages are some day available again the States.

I, like most NZ sports fans, watch the NRL too.

LOL@the GayFL...

Also, although I love to troll you on other threads (and vice versa), I'm glad to see that you are ok after the recent tragic earthquake and its aftermath.

I appreciate the concern, but Christchurch is as far from Auckland as Detroit is from New York. It isn't even on the same island.
2/24/11 8:28 PM
seg

I just starting watching the Leinster Cardiff match, and half the players are NZlanders that I remember from when I used to get the Super 14(5).

Xavier Rush, the old Auckland Blues #10, the big red headed dude from the Hurricanes, and several others I recognized right away.  Magners league $$$$ must be better than what they can get in NZ?
2/24/11 8:48 PM
Squatdog

Way better, but you can forget about being picked for the All Blacks, unless you are absolutely indispensable like Dan Carter.
2/25/11 9:44 AM
seg

How are players selected for teams?  I assume the international players are free agent types that can sign with any team.

But the announcer was describing some of the players as having come up through some type of junior system, which sounded kind of like the way American baseball is structured with minor league teams that feed players to the major league club.  The major league club holds the rights to its players in the minor league system, but they play in the minor leagues until such time, if ever, as they are deemed needed by the major league club.

Is there any kind of counterpart to the NFL draft system, or are players free to sign with whomever they want whenever they want (as long as they are not under contract to someone else)?
2/25/11 3:59 PM
Squatdog

In Super Rugby, players are first selected from the provincial sides that make up the franchise and any left over go into the draft.

Provincial sides are made up of players from the clubs in that particular union.
2/25/11 6:57 PM
seg

I understand how players end up on the Super 15 sides depending on which provincial side they play for.

But, how is the provincial side determined? 

For example, say I am an 18 year old kid, growing up in Christchurch, am I free to sign with whichever provincial side I want to, or am I tied into the Crusader/Canterbury franchise? 

Could I just say, although I am from Christchurch, I would rather play with Waikato and try out for their provincial team?  If so, for young phenoms, do bidding wars ever erupt to sign players right out of school.

I assume the players sign 2-3 year contracts with their provincial team, and then at the end of the contract are free to negotiate with another provincial team or head overseas?
2/25/11 7:13 PM
Squatdog

You have to play at least one club game within that union to be eligible, which is why $BW played a game for some local club in Chistchurch.

Players often move around in search of better opportunities, especially from lower division provinces.
2/26/11 7:32 AM
seg

Allah has blessed the Crusaders with Sonny Bill, which I find somewhat ironic.
2/27/11 6:04 PM
LordSeano
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at $BW - is his rep really that bad?
2/27/11 6:11 PM
Squatdog

3/1/11 5:33 PM
Tad Ghostal
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Both Magners league and Aviva premiership champions are decided by a 4 team play-off at the end of the season, not by who has the best record. Last season was the first time this happened in the Magners and the premiership has been doing it for years.

Because of fixture congestion (such as with the Six Nations) you will see teams fielding a lot of second string players during some matches, as their best players are away on international duty. If you start watching now you might be disappointed with the standard of play, but it will get better in a few weeks.
3/17/11 11:32 AM
seg

Edited: 03/17/11 11:33 AM
I'm leaning towards becoming a Cardiff Blues fan.  Some of those other cities I'm not really familiar with, and I used to watch Torchwoood when it was on.  How's that for logic?

3/17/11 5:05 PM
Squatdog

Just follow Super Rugby like a normal person.
3/20/11 12:13 AM
seg

Right now this is all I get:

Fox Soccer Plus is an American premium channel dedicated to soccer (association football), rugby union and rugby league. It was formed as a spin-off of Fox Soccer Channel when its owner Fox Entertainment Group re-acquired rights from competitor Setanta Sports USA in January 2010, putting the latter channel out of business. It launched on March 1, 2010.[1]

For rugby union, it has picked up rights to major competitions in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. Fox Soccer Plus has rights to the Europe-wide Heineken Cup plus England's Aviva Premiership and the Magners League in the Celtic nations and Italy (although Magners League matches are non-existent in Fox Soccer Plus' schedule for the first six weeks of the season). The channel also has rights to all major properties in the SANZAR countries—the Tri Nations involving the national teams of South Africa, New Zealand and Australia; Super Rugby, involving franchises from each of these countries; South Africa's Currie Cup; and New Zealand's ITM Cup.[2] In 2010 it secured the rights to broadcast the 2010 Rugby League Four Nations.[3]

As of 2011, Fox Soccer Plus will no longer have broadcasting rights for the Super 15 and Tri Nations

And I had one game a week of the 6 Nations through BBC America, but that's done now.

I doubt I will get the NRL or AFL this year.

3/21/11 7:37 PM
Squatdog

They REALLY need to get Super Rugby on TV to promote the sport in the US.

Unfortunately, the IRB are an incompetent old-boys network.
3/23/11 4:54 PM
seg

Squat:  Use your vast influence to get me some SH rugby in the U.S.

My first exposure to rugby was Super 14, Tri-Nations, Currie Cup and NRL and I used to know all the players, teams, etc.  Never had any exposure to NH rugby.

Now the tables are completely turned.  All NH, no SH.  I do see a lot of old NZ players I used to watch in NPC and Super 14 playing in the NH leagues now.
3/24/11 12:40 AM
Squatdog

It's completely fucking retarded.

Super Rugby is the game's premier showcase and is perfectly positioned at the end of America's Padball season to attract NFL fans who are still jonesing for more onfield collisions.

The quality of Rugby in the Heineken Cup is patchy at best.
3/27/11 6:34 PM
seg

Just watched Wasps v. Northampton.  The talent level seems a bit higher than Magners League, but that could be because I have not watched a Magners league game since the 6 Nations ended.

Bruce Reihana plays for Northampton.  I think he used to play for Waikato back when I got the NPC.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.