UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Setting a Trap for God

2/22/11 6:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jimmy23
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0871591243
2/22/11 6:09 PM
jimmy23
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really interesting book. The author is a student of George Lamsa, and examines the Lords Prayer from the original script in Aramaic and in the context of the idioms of the time. This offers a view of Christianity that is FAR different than the one I was taught in the Southern Baptist church as a child. I confess to being pretty moved by the book and the authors  approach to prayer, or rather,  Jesus's  approach to prayer
2/22/11 6:13 PM
Grakman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can you give us a summary, jimmy?
2/22/11 7:09 PM
jimmy23

so far,he says much of the context of th prayer is lost if reference to original aramaic and the culture is ignored

When Jesus said to pray in his name, the original wording translates more as "pray in the manner that I do"  - the author says that  literally praying in the name of Jesus,as I was taught to do, is like telling an atom to split in the name of Einstein  - it mise the point completely. the purpose ofprayer is to open oneself spiritually to the Divine, not to petition for cool stuff or try to impress god with fancy wording

Also, the name Jesus used for Father was more like the word "Daddy" - the effect was to see the divine as immediate and directly involved in the daily life ofpeople, rather than as a remote deity or emperor far away in the clouds.  

I am only about a third of the way through the book
2/23/11 8:06 PM
LiveWire
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
3/1/11 8:54 PM
5pointer

i seem to have a read a similair book after the prayer of jabez spread rampant...
3/1/11 9:09 PM
jimmy23

strangely enough someone just mentioned that too not half an hour ago
3/2/11 1:23 AM
jimmy23

ok, finished the book, and it has truly deepened the Lords prayer for me

might not for anyone else, though
3/2/11 12:07 PM
gord96
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/02/11 12:14 PM
jimmy23 - 
the purpose of prayer is to open oneself spiritually to the Divine, not to petition for cool stuff or try to impress god with fancy wording.

i try to look at prayer like that. it's like meditation. to think that words themselves are what God listens too is silly. God already knows what you need. The act of prayer opens your heart to His light.

But I still use certain 'prayers' from a prayer book to gain focus and a state of mind.

i will have to check out this book. another book you should read is The Art of Prayer: An Orthodox Anthology. It talks about how monks pray 'ceaselessly'.
3/4/11 4:46 PM
zealot66
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kind of like CS Lewis's premise that Prayer doesnt change God, it changes us. I have always been confused on evangelicals teaching on prayer that if we Pray in Jesus's name, we can command God to 'change his mind'. I dont think an omnipotent all knowing being is capable of changing his mind.
3/4/11 5:23 PM
Grakman

zealot66 -  Kind of like CS Lewis's premise that Prayer doesnt change God, it changes us. I have always been confused on evangelicals teaching on prayer that if we Pray in Jesus's name, we can command God to 'change his mind'. I dont think an omnipotent all knowing being is capable of changing his mind.

If God decides that, if you do such and such or pray such and such, He will do X, but if you do this or this He will do Y, is the changing his mind? And do you think that this is possible even if God knows the outcome before hand?

How does free will fit into it?
3/4/11 5:37 PM
zealot66
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grakman - 
zealot66 -  Kind of like CS Lewis's premise that Prayer doesnt change God, it changes us. I have always been confused on evangelicals teaching on prayer that if we Pray in Jesus's name, we can command God to 'change his mind'. I dont think an omnipotent all knowing being is capable of changing his mind.

If God decides that, if you do such and such or pray such and such, He will do X, but if you do this or this He will do Y, is the changing his mind? And do you think that this is possible even if God knows the outcome before hand?

I dont see how God can change his mind if he knows the outcome before. Free will ? 2000 years and we still dont know.......
3/4/11 8:10 PM
mmanthebay
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Intercession anyone? Phone Post
3/5/11 3:12 AM
Ridgeback
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zealot66 - 
Grakman - 

I dont see how God can change his mind if he knows the outcome before. Free will ? 2000 years and we still dont know.......

Does God see outcomes "before" as it were?  Maybe in a truly free world in which creatures can make themselves the unfolding of events is unknown to him until such a point where they unfold.  Or maybe, being completely out of time, he can make adjustments at the outset (so to speak) that allow things to change.  

3/5/11 10:29 AM
zealot66

Yeah, but does in that schematic, does God change ?
3/11/11 12:35 AM
Sliced
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry, but God changes his mind several times in the Bible.
3/11/11 2:07 AM
mmanthebay
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's biblically correct to believe God invites man to intercede with the "hope" of changing his mind. Phone Post
3/12/11 12:35 PM
zealot66

Sliced - 

Sorry, but God changes his mind several times in the Bible.

This is a long road to go down. I know that the writers related God as changing his mind but outside the confines of biblical inerrancy, can an omnipotent being change his mind. Working within the confines of OT and NT inerrancy, you have a lot of contradictions.
3/13/11 5:13 AM
Sliced
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, as an atheist, I don't believe in the inerrancy bit, so that's not an issue for me ;).
3/14/11 11:05 AM
Bench
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks an interesting read. Thanks. Phone Post
3/14/11 9:28 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In my own world of prayer I agree with this because I wouldn't be so bold as to think I'd ever change G-d's mind.  

"When I was a kid I prayed to G-d for a bike.  Then I realized he doesn't work that way so I stole one instead and prayed for forgiveness."

But then we read the whole episode of Moses going back up on Mt. Sinai after the Golden Calf incident, coming down on Yom Kippur, pleading with G-d for 40 days so G-d won't obliterate the Jewish people and re-start G-ds people from Moses' lineage, is an indicator that we too can change a Heavenly decree.  Yes?  
3/15/11 5:33 AM
mmanthebay

not that we can change a decree, but maybe be involved in the will of Gpd Phone Post
3/28/11 11:48 AM
figure four

prayer shows god our love, hope, and trust in what he can do for us.

but if we don't pray...
we don't receive what we may need...

we were created weak so as to enable us to rely on him...

we are not to recite no prayers from a book...it should come from your heart
3/31/11 6:16 PM
GojuGrappler
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Prayer is talking to god, meditation is listening Phone Post
3/31/11 6:38 PM
gord96
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

figure four - we are not to recite no prayers from a book...it should come from your heart

what about the Lord's Prayer? Is that wrong in your opinion. It's from a book.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.