UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> Gracie Barra Aiea

2/22/11 6:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Animal808
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Word on the street is that GB is expanding its empire to the west side. I heard GB Aiea is opening soon near O2. Anyone else hear anything???
2/22/11 7:05 PM
mad tiger

that makes little sense.
2/22/11 7:20 PM
FCTV808
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is it hex? i think i saw his mini van pulling out of the halawa industrial area.
2/22/11 11:44 PM
Mr Anaconda

*raises eyebrow*
2/22/11 11:57 PM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How soon before there are a boatload of new purples over that side?
2/23/11 6:23 AM
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

its all good.
2/26/11 3:49 AM
mad tiger

getting a purple belt these days takes like wot 1 1/2 now?
2/26/11 4:35 AM
FCTV808
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's the new black belt!
2/26/11 4:53 AM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mt and fctv are sandbaggers
2/26/11 11:08 AM
jjmtg
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/26/11 11:15 AM
A mid level purple belt who jumped ship to GB, was tapped by a brand spanking no stripe having new Relson purple at a Pac Sub tournament and almost had his foot ripped off. One year and some months later, the losing footlocked GB student was a black belt at GB = Truth.
2/26/11 1:46 PM
Haynmatman

Different standards...no biggie I think. As long as your confident in your abilities, than no matta what da udder guy get. Besides, he has to represent what he has, not anyone else. I'd say someone like me who had his Purple for 8 years is the worst lol!

Daniel: Hey, what kind of belt do you have?

Miyagi: Canvas. JC Penney, $3.98. You like?
2/26/11 1:55 PM
FCTV808

i dunno man, i think it's less like karate kid, and more like every kid receiving a diploma for "graduating" 6th grade.

and every kid getting a trophy for competing.

WE'RE ALL WINNERS!
2/26/11 4:59 PM
Moke
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weiners.
2/26/11 5:41 PM
NECKCRANK808
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/26/11 5:51 PM
Bjj Is becoming gay <br /><br />Before getting a purple belt seemed impossible now it's expected in a short time frame just watering the sport down even more IMO
2/26/11 6:34 PM
Sgt. Slaphead
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jjmtg - A mid level purple belt who jumped ship to GB, was tapped by a brand spanking no stripe having new Relson purple at a Pac Sub tournament and almost had his foot ripped off. One year and some months later, the losing footlocked GB student was a black belt at GB = Truth.

I not too knowledgeable about a lot that goes on in BJJ so help me out...

It is my understanding that GB has a very defined curriculum, which IMHO would be a positive point. From what I saw at Gracie Torrance when I visited, they to have a strict, set curriculum too.

What makes them so bad, other than some BOOLSHIT personality/attitude stuff I heard about involving an owner and the organization's tourney system. Are they McDojo ranking people who lack skills?

I don't follow the tourneys, etc, but is the above a case of a very strong, competitive "no stripe" with excellent attributes beating a mid-level so-so purple?....the "One year and some months later" to blackbelt is fishy, but I know nothing really about that so reserve commenting.

NECKCRANK808 - Bjj Is becoming gay

Before getting a purple belt seemed impossible now it's expected in a short time frame just watering the sport down even more IMO

Is this widespread in practice? I dislike some of what I see in BJJ and I recall 15years ago wen I started how a purple belt was indeed GOD, but I would also say BJJ was different too. I like the simpler,more fundamental methods of the style from back then.....or at least as far as I can recall, so I may be mistaken and delusional. I'm also not anywhere near skilled/knowledgeable enough to think I can judge with certainty. I seriously can't wrapmy brain around half the shit I see :(

As for gay and sport :p......my belief and expectation of BJJ is that of a martial art/style first and foremost and sport as facet of the training. As "sport" becomes the leading focus, the gheyness factor will increase accordingly in my eyes, likewise....if BJJ factions develop more narrowly defined games/attributes :p
2/27/11 2:25 AM
GREAT MUTA

Haters gonna hate,If im right the last time I looked,Barra had more world champions than anyone else,and not to mention Roger Gracie the greatest Bjj player of all time is a Barra student. I think we should focus on the good of Barra expanding in Hawaii,like all the world class blackbelts that will come and teach and train here.
2/27/11 3:37 AM
KUIndustries
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Muta are you smoking crack? Barra has more world champs Aliance?

Is Barral, Roger, Estima moving to Hawaii any time soon?

When I go back home there are sooo many talented black belts I never make it to all the gyms I want to train at.

How is too many gyms a bad thing? Well for the black belts who put the time on the mat to earn a black belt, and share there knowledge when Barra brings in a school they take food of some one else's plate. This causes top level guys to move or get day jobs and every one suffers.

Look at Baret Yoshida..

2/27/11 3:42 AM
KUIndustries
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/27/11 4:00 AM
NC808 Speaks the truth. Before most people quit between blue and purple and to some extent that holds semi true with legit orgs. After Blue are no longer getting rewarded with promotions every so many months for your time ont he mat. You are now getting rewarded with skill. This weeds out the belt chasers. It's easier to do something when the rewards are often. In sum it's the Journey not the destination
2/27/11 4:08 AM
FCTV808

GREAT MUTA - Haters gonna hate,If im right the last time I looked,Barra had more world champions than anyone else,and not to mention Roger Gracie the greatest Bjj player of all time is a Barra student. I think we should focus on the good of Barra expanding in Hawaii,like all the world class blackbelts that will come and teach and train here.

welcome to the hg.
2/27/11 7:05 AM
GREAT MUTA

Yea....not smoking crack but thanks. Barra so many great black belts that can share knowledge in Hawaii. As far as taking food off someone elses plate,students choose were they train if people loose students to barra then maybe they should try something different. The bullshit politics in Hawaii is a joke,we are all on the mats for the same purpose.
2/27/11 8:59 AM
KUIndustries

I wasn't offering you crack. Politics maybe a joke but a lot of gyms HURT jiu jitsu. If you want a guy to teach jiu jitsu as a full time job he has to have students.

Sure they can be a lot of gyms every where that make minimal money. Guys can have day jobs, come at night and teach just like TKD. Answer this, what happens to the art when the artist can't spend all day practicing?
2/27/11 11:43 AM
GREAT MUTA

I agree 100% that there are many gyms in Hawaii that hurt bjj. As to your question I feel that if you have a regular job in the day and teach on the side at night then that's what it is,a side gig, and sadly I'm assuming that the jits becomes a product of that and the teaching is lackluster. I'm am not saying this is the case with TKD,who I don't know who that is. Now if you choose to make bjj your soul career as far as teaching then well things might be different.
2/27/11 12:24 PM
FCTV808

muta assumes too much
2/27/11 3:50 PM
GREAT MUTA

Agree to disagree.
2/27/11 3:51 PM
FCTV808

no you drop assumptions which generalize a lot, site examples so that i can agree to/or disagree.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.