UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> Gracie Barra Aiea

2/27/11 4:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheAlchemist
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Muta came out firing but now.....errrrrr not so much.  Conjecture's not your friend.
2/27/11 6:53 PM
GREAT MUTA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bottom line is alot of people hate on barra but you can't deny results. I have many friends that train at other academies and teach. All I'm saying is variety is the spice of life. I'm not here to offend just to defend and educate those who have made assumptions with out ever trained at a barra.
2/27/11 7:50 PM
TheAlchemist
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Education can be great depending on the validity and presentation of the given information or it can be very harmful depending on the validity and presentation of the given information.
2/27/11 8:15 PM
surf_or_die
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheAlchemist - Education can be great depending on the validity and presentation of the given information or it can be very harmful depending on the validity and presentation of the given information.

well said
2/27/11 8:56 PM
GREAT MUTA

Agreed.
2/28/11 12:41 AM
FCTV808
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GREAT MUTA - Agreed.

dude this was a dig fren. :(
2/28/11 12:45 AM
ayla108

Edited: 02/28/11 12:47 AM
"jjmtg - A mid level purple belt who jumped ship to GB, was tapped by a brand spanking no stripe having new Relson purple at a Pac Sub tournament and almost had his foot ripped off. One year and some months later, the losing footlocked GB student was a black belt at GB = Truth."

*sarcasm*
Green Bay Black Belt? I heard of a such organization. They are rumored to give a spanking to the black and yellow.
*sarcasm*

Maybe the colors got mixed up in the rumor train...unless they're promoting blacks at King & Mo'ani'ani. Only one black belt promo too, and it wasn't a purple that "jumped ship". Unless the old man got promoted to black in the last month. That would mean a celebration should be coming up...soon. Anyone care to join us? Besides, Relson was all cool with everyone still in the Gracie Family name.

Aiea is a bit too close for Mo'ani'ani, but people change or at-home training amongst friends is getting popular.
2/28/11 1:29 AM
surf_or_die
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FCTV808 - 
GREAT MUTA - Agreed.

dude this was a dig fren. :(

lol
2/28/11 1:51 AM
jjmtg
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/28/11 2:30 AM
ayla108 - "jjmtg - A mid level purple belt who jumped ship to GB, was tapped by a brand spanking no stripe having new Relson purple at a Pac Sub tournament and almost had his foot ripped off. One year and some months later, the losing footlocked GB student was a black belt at GB = Truth."

*sarcasm*
Green Bay Black Belt? I heard of a such organization. They are rumored to give a spanking to the black and yellow.
*sarcasm*

Maybe the colors got mixed up in the rumor train...unless they're promoting blacks at King & Mo'ani'ani. Only one black belt promo too, and it wasn't a purple that "jumped ship". Unless the old man got promoted to black in the last month. That would mean a celebration should be coming up...soon. Anyone care to join us? Besides, Relson was all cool with everyone still in the Gracie Family name.

Aiea is a bit too close for Mo'ani'ani, but people change or at-home training amongst friends is getting popular.

Well, he is a skinny surfer looking dude, he told me himself that he got his black belt and it was from GB. Maybe he lied (or misspoke?) and gave it to himself or someone else gave it to him. But he wears it. Before he told me other who saw him lose at Pac Sub saw him wearing the black belt and told me "you know the guy that lost the purple division to Tets, he got his black belt." He lost to Jon Tets via footlock, Pac Sub 2009. He was hopping around at the after party from the footlock. So in 2009 Pac Sub he wore and competed as purple - in 2010 he wears a black belt?. So again, one year and some months later he got the black?
2/28/11 6:50 AM
surf_or_die

tetsutani is a beast!!! no shame in losing to him.
2/28/11 7:28 AM
MobutuHari

I don't understand. Why is it a bad thing if other guys get their belt fast? I would feel good if I beat these higher ranking guys in competition.

As for more schools, it is what it is, can't stop it and people will do what they want to do. In other instances, guys will even train with you for a lil while, steal what you taught them and open up their own backyard gym.

It happens but what you can you do, except train and make your school something people really want to invest in for life . . or however long they want to make their martial arts career.

*Btw I thought everyone here was a uber Republican capitalist, why the critique on the BJJ free-market enterprise?

<turns devil's advocate button off>
2/28/11 9:16 AM
GREAT MUTA

Was it a dig??? Really?....... Tear.... Whatever. It is a free market and I personally know people in barra that got there belts quick and have one world championships! Now it seems that alot of these schools are worried about losing money and students,well then you should prob stop and look at gb fundamentals and a CURRICULUM. Again not here to offend but attack me if you want that's fine. You can't stop and won't stop progress,barra will put many more Schools in Hawaii. I truly hope no one loses students or business,but with the politics and what seems like the general dislike for barra,that is inevitable.
2/28/11 12:56 PM
FCTV808
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/28/11 12:56 PM
GREAT MUTA - Was it a dig??? Really?....... Tear.... Whatever. It is a free market and I personally know people in barra that got there belts quick and have one world championships! Now it seems that alot of these schools are worried about losing money and students,well then you should prob stop and look at gb fundamentals and a CURRICULUM. Again not here to offend but attack me if you want that's fine. You can't stop and won't stop progress,barra will put many more Schools in Hawaii. I truly hope no one loses students or business,but with the politics and what seems like the general dislike for barra,that is inevitable.

sadly muta, you come on here saying you're not here to "offend", yet you drop hasty generalizations and then say what other schools SHOULD do, yet, you couldn't have possibly trained at "alot"(grammar much fren?) of them which pretty much points in the direction of either unedumacatedness(which is probably the case considering the structure of your argument and shallow logic behind it), or just plain stupidity or both. and although a well backed argument or opinion doesn't offend me, stupidity and ignorance do, and yes, i believe you fit quite snugly into this mold of an offensive git pretty accurately.

please think before typing.

and god help you if "muta" is short for something japanese.
2/28/11 1:35 PM
MobutuHari

^Great Muta = the old school professional wrestler from Japan that used to spit colorful stuff in people's eyes.

So . . . is there a new GB opening in Aiea or no?

Btw threads somehow lead to belt ranking quite often. I don't know much about this stuff in BJJ/GJJ. Anyone care to give a lowdown on belt promotions and expectations?

I did some TMA's and hung out with longtime judokas and TMA Karate people. Everyone took a minimum of a decade to get a black; And I don't think it was purely about skill, but also about loyalty and dedication to the art and school. My judo friends, training since kids and from judo families - minimum 15 years for a black - so at least all the TMA, judokas, and whatnot, no one really thought about belts so much b/c everyone knew it took quite awhile to get it. I don't know how it works in jits, like BJ's black in 3 yrs . . . is that a proper thing in bjj?

2/28/11 1:46 PM
FCTV808

imo belts in bjj have become a bastardized product and no longer are a trustworthy sign of excellence, proficiency, loyalty, or anything else nowadays.

my tkd/hapkido instructor and i had a heated talk about this a couple of years ago when i told him i'm not practicing his stuff enough and don't deserve my black and he said, "it's just a black belt"... i didn't get it then, as i was still holding onto the mystique of what i thought that rank should mean, but in the end, the business of tkd has been around way longer than bjj here and i sadly get what he's saying.

IF you think about it and the BB becomes primarily ONLY a tool for a business competitive advantage for a school, sooner or later in this "free market"(LOL), everyone will have to sell out this rank and just start handing them out.

"what, your school get how many bb? well, mine get 100!" LOL

so then yes, it boils down to how effective the school is at delivering what it promises.

i would think though, in the natural scheme of things, sooner or later, one will be called out on his faggotry and crushed.

or, you could just surround yourself w/ "friends" on fb that tell you you're the greatest, never roll against those who would push you, and delete those who would expose you.

true story
2/28/11 2:35 PM
Wutang
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think Muta is being offensive, rather he's just stating his point of view. Regardless if anyone approves or disapproves his point, he is not name calling or saying "X" school sucks. Nothing wrong with what he's saying.

2/28/11 3:11 PM
Onibaba

Well, he is a skinny surfer looking dude, he told me himself that he got his black belt and it was from GB. Maybe he lied (or misspoke?) and gave it to himself or someone else gave it to him. But he wears it. Before he told me other who saw him lose at Pac Sub saw him wearing the black belt and told me "you know the guy that lost the purple division to Tets, he got his black belt." He lost to Jon Tets via footlock, Pac Sub 2009. He was hopping around at the after party from the footlock. So in 2009 Pac Sub he wore and competed as purple - in 2010 he wears a black belt?. So again, one year and some months later he got the black?

I came on here because a friend of mine says that some guys on here might be trash talking about him. He is a brown and competes when he can. Why attack him just to show that Relsons team is the best and your guy beat this guy so he doesn't deserve his rank. I've trained at o2 a few times and John Tetsutani is an animal. I've seen him giving the blackbelt instructor a hard time. So no shame in getting footlocked by him. If you competed enough I'm sure youll lose to someone who just got their belt. Or is not viewed as upsetting the established guy.
2/28/11 3:14 PM
surf_or_die

Wutang - I don't think Muta is being offensive, rather he's just stating his point of view. Regardless if anyone approves or disapproves his point, he is not name calling or saying "X" school sucks. Nothing wrong with what he's saying.

i think muta needs to enroll himself in an a remedial english class.
2/28/11 3:44 PM
Animal808

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Who cares if GB is opening another school. The only thing people should be concerned about is their own BJJ training and their own school. If your happy with your training who cares what other schools are doing. Why worry about something you can't control.
2/28/11 3:51 PM
GREAT MUTA

FC, I am educated. I'm sure your smart enough to figure out that I don't give two fucks about spelling on a forum. Now as to stupidity it seems your just easily offended,now maybe you are one of those people that has to always be right. That must be it. Lastly as to god help me if I'm Japanese,idol threats on a forum are a waste of your time and mine. I know who you are and respect what you have done. I have friends that train with you. Again not here to offend,please let me make that clear. As to the question about barra aiea it is going to open along with more. We are all in the same game of bjj,let's try to remember that we all love this art.
2/28/11 3:54 PM
GREAT MUTA

Spellings not my strong suit but meh,it's all good
2/28/11 4:03 PM
Brabo Fett

FCTV808 - imo belts in bjj have become a bastardized product and no longer are a trustworthy sign of excellence, proficiency, loyalty, or anything else nowadays.

my tkd/hapkido instructor and i had a heated talk about this a couple of years ago when i told him i'm not practicing his stuff enough and don't deserve my black and he said, "it's just a black belt"... i didn't get it then, as i was still holding onto the mystique of what i thought that rank should mean, but in the end, the business of tkd has been around way longer than bjj here and i sadly get what he's saying.

IF you think about it and the BB becomes primarily ONLY a tool for a business competitive advantage for a school, sooner or later in this "free market"(LOL), everyone will have to sell out this rank and just start handing them out.

"what, your school get how many bb? well, mine get 100!" LOL

so then yes, it boils down to how effective the school is at delivering what it promises.

i would think though, in the natural scheme of things, sooner or later, one will be called out on his faggotry and crushed.

or, you could just surround yourself w/ "friends" on fb that tell you you're the greatest, never roll against those who would push you, and delete those who would expose you.

true story

I don't believe in belts. There should be no ranking system for toughness. But one time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with by bare hands
2/28/11 4:13 PM
GREAT MUTA

Lol,it's good to see the humor in this discussion as well.
2/28/11 4:41 PM
MobutuHari

^site's been kinda dead for a while. Despite ruffling a few feathers . . it is actually just good to see a good discussion lately.

Btw you sound like an okay dude anyway GM . . but not everyone's gonna be one the same page with you so it is what it is.

2/28/11 5:16 PM
ayla108

What's the instructor's name of the potential Aiea school? I don't know too many GB browns (only 2 I know of at the moment, Jim and Ron) and I didn't hear anything, as of this morning, about either of them opening another GB. I know of many GB barneys though.

Oh wait, surfer guy and Aiea. Damn, sounds like my neighbor just from the proximity and he does like to surf. He didn't jump ship from a Relson affiliate though (COJJ). I'll have to bump into him at the playground. I have no idea if he had a match with the man you guys are talking about (Tetsutani) though. But it might make sense for him to be heading an Aiea branch.

The belt part doesn't matter much to me, because this is my leisure activity to de-stress I guess. I do notice that with each stripe that is added to my belt, the "younger" guys start going harder and harder on me. I just understand the responsibility that may come with progressing in a school or style.

As for GB fundamentals and curriculum, I haven't experienced the strict GB curriculum people comment about. Learning and training at Rex's place, I've experienced flexibility within the curriculum. While flexibility makes sense, during talk story moments he has given props, in his own way, to his previous instructors and training partners over the years. But yeah, the fundamentals and curriculum that GB has, and put out on DVD, is pretty solid and nothing new (of course). I dig it and it didn't break the bank.

The bummer thing about having another GB on the island is just the technicality that we can't all just pay one Association fee and training at any of the other schools...even just once a week outside of our home schools. Everyone has a different overhead, if they do not own their bldg.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.