UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> Gracie Barra Aiea

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/28/11 5:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GREAT MUTA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

from what ive heard this will be apart of gb university. Mobutu thankyou,I only want people to see what Barra is about and stop making mindless coments about something they have never tried. if you want to see Barra go to Gb university and Watch Caveirinha teach and roll he is Barra and what Barra is all about. yes they are franchised but who cares?? another thing I like about barra is most of the people there DONT HAVE AN EGO!!!! They just want quality instruction and a safe place to train,key word is safe. They want to experience bjj and all that is great about this art.
2/28/11 5:44 PM
mad tiger
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah it was probably the COJJ purp now Black Rafa. Spent 5mos as a brown belt then got rapidly promoted by Marcello before he got booted out of state for visa issues.

As for Barra having more world titles probably so. They are the host team after all. Albeit the Team championships have been back and forth lately. Also of all those world champions how many were out of the US schools and how many fighting out of Brazil? BIG difference imo.
2/28/11 6:20 PM
Haynmatman

MobutuHari - I don't understand. Why is it a bad thing if other guys get their belt fast? I would feel good if I beat these higher ranking guys in competition.

As for more schools, it is what it is, can't stop it and people will do what they want to do. In other instances, guys will even train with you for a lil while, steal what you taught them and open up their own backyard gym.

It happens but what you can you do, except train and make your school something people really want to invest in for life . . or however long they want to make their martial arts career.

*Btw I thought everyone here was a uber Republican capitalist, why the critique on the BJJ free-market enterprise?

You really want to make friends don't you Mobu! lol! Very well said and on the money. You can't stop it...comes with the territory....rise above my friends, rise above. Be secure in what you are teaching and the truth will show itself on it's own.
2/28/11 6:36 PM
FCTV808
349 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GREAT MUTA - FC, I am educated. I'm sure your smart enough to figure out that I don't give two fucks about spelling on a forum. Now as to stupidity it seems your just easily offended,now maybe you are one of those people that has to always be right. That must be it. Lastly as to god help me if I'm Japanese,idol threats on a forum are a waste of your time and mine. I know who you are and respect what you have done. I have friends that train with you. Again not here to offend,please let me make that clear. As to the question about barra aiea it is going to open along with more. We are all in the same game of bjj,let's try to remember that we all love this art.

dude. reading comprehension is no joke.

i don't even know where to begin with this. my red pen hasn't enough ink.

:(
2/28/11 6:37 PM
FCTV808
349 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ps. the last time i made an "idol threat" was when that fheggit clay aitken won a.i. and i wrote a letter of discontent to the board.

thank you
2/28/11 6:46 PM
GREAT MUTA

Some one must be a speeling bee champion....any way like I said I dont give a fuck about my spelling and it looks like rather focusing on the issue you would rather cut me down about my grammer. Again lets focus on the real discussion,help me help you.
2/28/11 6:54 PM
GREAT MUTA

Its all good in the hood,I like the people here and know most of the regulars,first time making posts was hesitant about the responses but its ok,thanks for the discussion it has been educating and informative.
2/28/11 8:15 PM
MobutuHari

Edited: 02/28/11 8:19 PM
Haha. Not necessarily about making friends Hayn . . .just I know how it is. All the issues re: schools, fast rank, etc. . . I've been on the opposite coin with other schools I have been a part of. And those kinda things happened to me when I was young and really naive, so I wasn't mentally tough to handle that. So since then, I've always kinda just kept to myself on those issues and just focus on my own development . . I don't really pay attention to how fast others progress and how fast I progress anymore, or what's happening with other schools. I just want to train when I can, and train at a good school with decent people. I was 18 yr old then and adults wanted to kick my ass for that fact that I trained with the other school, got an 'undeserving rank', and blah blah. I was young, and all I wanted to do was train . . I didn't understand why I would go to fellow martial artists funerals and other people hated me, or why I would be cool with guys, and once I mention one of my instructors name from a certain art, they would give me a hard look and walk away. In fact, people still do this to me now sometimes.

What everyone else stated prior though- Ku, FCTV, MT, and others . . they are all true, and they are all possibilities that can be detrimental to the art and the scene. However, for me I just don't focus on those issues anymore, since I was also put in that position unwillingly and traumatized for it. So even though maybe there might instances I might feel the same way, I won't really put much energy thinking or talking about it.

So if 'rival schools' open up, it's okay. I believe in my school (school(s) actually - cuz I still do TMA with GJJ) and the things we do and that we'll be around for a while.

And if people get fast belts, it's okay. I like being the underdog, less pressure for me.

And if people don't agree with my opinion, that's okay too. I don't ask for people to be on the same page, just that they respect the way I feel about it.

And FTR . . . I used to be a Spelling Bee champ too:)

As Hayn said, "the truth will show itself . . " Just train and do what you do best, and focus on yourself and the development of the school. That's about all you can do really.
2/28/11 8:26 PM
MobutuHari

btw i have a pretty funny story about Tets but I gotta go to a mtg.

Nothing bad about him, just a FML moment for me.

Tets is great. Good guy.
2/28/11 8:33 PM
GREAT MUTA

I agree 100%. I dont believe in rival schools just different places with different faces. I feel one of the most important things is being happy were you train and not having to walk on egg shells or fear that you are going to get hurt when you train. As far as belts go its sad sometimes to see someone with such potential get held back and lose out on there prime because of politics or fear they will jump ship and do there own thing. I have the belt I have not because of time but by my actions on the mat,and the results I produce. Am I the best,fuck no but my belt wasnt just given to me because of how many dots I have on a card. This is a common misconseption with Barra that needs to be known,My instructor decides when I get rank not a card. I thank all of you for the input. Oh and being a speeling bee champ is awesome,for real.
2/28/11 9:13 PM
FCTV808

GREAT MUTA - Some one must be a speeling bee champion....any way like I said I dont give a fuck about my spelling and it looks like rather focusing on the issue you would rather cut me down about my grammer. Again lets focus on the real discussion,help me help you.

no, help me to help you.

fren, you wanna discuss something and have people respect your opinion, then really read what's being typed and think before you respond.

if your brain is too lazy to put shit together, then truly it must be hard (or REALLY EASY) getting through life for you, albeit a pathetic existence.

a funny thing about discussion: one must be able to communicate clearly and not just slop sentences onto a screen w/o actually reading the responses.

let me give you an example:

you: "brah i hate fucken big macs"

me: "why do you hate them? I like the sauce and the dry meat."

you: "brah i'm entitled to my opinion. agree to disagree."

follow?
2/28/11 9:29 PM
jjmtg
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Onibaba - Well, he is a skinny surfer looking dude, he told me himself that he got his black belt and it was from GB. Maybe he lied (or misspoke?) and gave it to himself or someone else gave it to him. But he wears it. Before he told me other who saw him lose at Pac Sub saw him wearing the black belt and told me "you know the guy that lost the purple division to Tets, he got his black belt." He lost to Jon Tets via footlock, Pac Sub 2009. He was hopping around at the after party from the footlock. So in 2009 Pac Sub he wore and competed as purple - in 2010 he wears a black belt?. So again, one year and some months later he got the black?

I came on here because a friend of mine says that some guys on here might be trash talking about him. He is a brown and competes when he can. Why attack him just to show that Relsons team is the best and your guy beat this guy so he doesn't deserve his rank. I've trained at o2 a few times and John Tetsutani is an animal. I've seen him giving the blackbelt instructor a hard time. So no shame in getting footlocked by him. If you competed enough I'm sure youll lose to someone who just got their belt. Or is not viewed as upsetting the established guy.

Like I said before, he told me this belt color promotion himself and like I said, maybe he misspoke the belt color. I am not trash talking him since he was the very one who walked up to me and talked to me about his promotion. When he said he was a black belt I was shocked but since its a brown well, sounds about right. I mean, it was more him bragging to me type conversation that he brought up to me not me to him.

So if he thinks that is trash talking then, FUCK HIM. Get your colors straight. Stop trying to brag or at least remember what rank you are. I know the difference between brown and black, and have no bias other than to repeat what I was told.

I don't really care what fucking belt he is, in fact, I rather not talk to that person. I never liked him when he was training with us. But I just let my feelings aside since he was a classmate. Glad he is happy where he is, maybe he will be a black belt or maybe he won't.

Like I said, he brought it up to me and if its a brown well congrats but keep it to your fucking self what rank you are unless someone asks or at leasts fakes interest, since I didn't and until today don't give a shit.
2/28/11 9:31 PM
GREAT MUTA

LOL,who shit in your cornflakes this morning? Oh I follow,you get upset when someone has an opinion,and you cut them down. As far as pathetic existence,pal I live great have a great wife,kids not so pathetic. FOLLOW?? Any way I said I respect you and what you have done with your career and school,please dont post things that make me change that. Look the discussion has obviously touched a nerve or something so lets just end it and yes again AGREE TO DISAGREE friend.
2/28/11 10:11 PM
conviser
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GM - I think this one comment of yours, more than any other, got certain people upset:

"I feel that if you have a regular job in the day and teach on the side at night then that's what it is, a side gig, and sadly I'm assuming that the jits becomes a product of that and the teaching is lackluster."

That's a pretty heavy assumption. A lot of people on the HG have demanding non-MA jobs, but still manage to do a great job as instructors during their off-hours. Perhaps they'd do an even better job if they spent every single waking hour on jiu jitsu....but I think most would suffer a big drop in income as a result. (We all gotta pay the bills, somehow.) Also, keep in mind that top competitors who teach full-time aren't necessarily the best at helping students learn, esp. when it comes to slow-learning people (like me).

I honestly believe you meant no offense, and some instructors who might have been insulted by your comment thought nothing of it (at least judging by their posts on this thread). But I can see how some people could find your comment unfair.
2/28/11 10:13 PM
TheAlchemist
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GREAT MUTA - I agree 100% that there are many gyms in Hawaii that hurt bjj. As to your question I feel that if you have a regular job in the day and teach on the side at night then that's what it is,a side gig, and sadly I'm assuming that the jits becomes a product of that and the teaching is lackluster. I'm am not saying this is the case with TKD,who I don't know who that is. Now if you choose to make bjj your soul career as far as teaching then well things might be different.

OK OK Enuf already. Muta reread what you typed earlier. You might unastan why FCTV's all up in your grill. You said you know who FCTV is and what he does, well .....

FCTV I think Muta means well and we should give the give him some leeway, at least for his first week here.

2/28/11 10:21 PM
GREAT MUTA

@Conviser I agree I appologize if I offended any one I just am sick and tired of people (especially in Hawaii) slamming Barra,its weak. I didnt mean to offend,and am willing to admit when I am wrong. FC808 really got at me but its ok his opinion is just as valid as all of ours. Again am glad to be apart of the HG and will do my best to not Offend.
2/28/11 10:24 PM
GREAT MUTA

@Alchemist I see your point,just got frustrated with the way people slam my school and wear I train,I am Gracie Barra and I love it,Apologies all around.
2/28/11 10:32 PM
Sgt. Slaphead
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GREAT MUTA -  FC808 really got at me but its ok his opinion is just as valid as all of ours.

Actually this is the kind of belief that is fucking up this country.....EVERYONE'S BELIEFS AND OPINIONS ARE NOT VALID AND WORTHY OF CONSIDERATION OR RESPECT!

Think about it.

As for this thread specifically, consider this...

FCTV808 - let me give you an example:

you: "brah i hate fucken big macs"

me: "why do you hate them? I like the sauce and the dry meat."

you: "brah i'm entitled to my opinion. agree to disagree."

follow?

2/28/11 10:43 PM
Moke
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Again am glad to be apart of the HG and will do my best to not Offend."

Don't worry about offending...the HG wants/needs honest, albeit, well considered opinions, not fluffy fake conciliatory ass-kissing, even if it offends.

You will find it more awesomer this way.
2/28/11 10:43 PM
GREAT MUTA

OK.
2/28/11 10:48 PM
TheAlchemist
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GREAT MUTA - @Alchemist I see your point,just got frustrated with the way people slam my school and wear I train,I am Gracie Barra and I love it,Apologies all around.
NO need apologize, just be aware of what you type and try to understand what others are saying. That way you can HG-Beef mo bettah eh! and I agree with Moke, it's makes the HG more awesomer!

2/28/11 11:05 PM
GREAT MUTA

Got it.
2/28/11 11:19 PM
junon
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

penis.
2/28/11 11:28 PM
GREAT MUTA

? Junon,yes I have one.
2/28/11 11:39 PM
MobutuHari

So nobody wanted to hear my Tets story?

*crickets*

Ah well, I guess I should tell him first.

Btw, GREAT THREAD. Another awesome full contact posting thread that kept my spirits alive and distracted from the agonies of listening to more women whine in the office again.

I guess I should go trane now?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.