UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> Gracie Barra Aiea

3/13/11 3:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
no one important
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Great Muta" is Brian Laughlan. He owns Gracie Barra University and is known by his peers for jumping on the bandwagon on anything that can make him money. When he said he was going back to Irvine, that was his give away since he lives in the OC(Orange County). Brian will expand Gracie Barra and exploit BJJ for all its worth, as long as it puts money in his pocket. He worships the mighty dollar and thats what he's all about, nothing else. It's got nothing to do with honoring the Gracie's or for the love of Jiu-jitsu, but to cash in on the Gracie Family name by flooding the island with as many schools as he can open.
3/13/11 4:37 AM
katsumoto68

Holy heavy post right there^^^
3/13/11 4:59 AM
Mmanizzle

no one important just became the most important pivotal character in the story...

*going to the microwave to pop another bag of popcorn*
3/13/11 5:39 AM
TheAlchemist
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no one important - "Great Muta" is Brian Laughlan. He owns Gracie Barra University and is known by his peers for jumping on the bandwagon on anything that can make him money. When he said he was going back to Irvine, that was his give away since he lives in the OC(Orange County). Brian will expand Gracie Barra and exploit BJJ for all its worth, as long as it puts money in his pocket. He worships the mighty dollar and thats what he's all about, nothing else. It's got nothing to do with honoring the Gracie's or for the love of Jiu-jitsu, but to cash in on the Gracie Family name by flooding the island with as many schools as he can open.
For posterity.

oh and ...

THAT'S HOW YOU MAKE YOUR 1ST POST!!

3/13/11 5:48 AM
Mr Anaconda

Muta in Tagalog means Makapiapia

aka Eye Caca
3/13/11 4:20 PM
mad tiger

Id be utterly shocked and very disappointed if that were true. That being said one troll trolling a troll happens all the time as well.
Kettle corn imo
3/13/11 7:26 PM
Mmanizzle

no one important knows more than that...  unless you're just a troll trolling a troll...

*sprinkles furikake on popcorn*
3/13/11 8:51 PM
TheAlchemist
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i am all confused with all the trolls trolling the trolls of the regular trolls already trolling this place.
3/13/11 11:00 PM
meatrokket
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Problem HG?
3/14/11 5:22 AM
katsumoto68

Sorry for us nobodys in the world, whoth is Brian laughlin ? Google'd him but nothing solid comes up......
3/15/11 1:57 AM
BMFL

Its so funny to read all of the shit this whole Barra thing has stirred up.

As for rankings and stuff, ANYONE can get tapped on any given day by some nameless goober (not saying Tets is a nameless Goober, just making a point). Its what jiu-jitsu is all about, catching your opponent when he makes a mistake.

I remember when everyone thought a certain BJJ black belt was fricken God and he went and got caught by a blue belt. It happens.

I agree that rankings and promotions can be skewed because its mostly at the discretion of the instructor. But its HIS decision to promote the guy. Its something he sees in his student that leads him to believe that the guy has made the sacrifice and trains hard enough to deserve the next rank. It doesn't necessarily mean once you get a black belt, you can't lose to anyone else except another black belt, who better be a fricken world class badass.

Shit, I lost myself on this thread.

Who gives a shit about belts anyway TRAIN NO GI bitches!
3/15/11 1:57 AM
BMFL

BTW, anyone know who the instructor in Aiea will be? Juss askin is all.
3/15/11 2:39 AM
KUIndustries
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think its a little disrespectful to say we thought he was a god. He's a good guy, awesome teacher and great competitor. He didn't train for the tournament, fought a bigger guy and lost. No biggie, lesson learned no one lol'd because it wasn't funny.

If any one can get tap why hasn't Roger been tapped in a comp since blue belt?

3/15/11 2:40 AM
KUIndustries
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/15/11 2:40 AM
People get caught when they make mistakes or didn't prepare, it happens. But 99% of the time the person will skill will always prevail..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLFknT2ETC0&feature=relmfu
3/15/11 4:20 AM
Moke
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"...he sees in his student that leads him to believe that the guy has made the sacrifice and trains hard enough to deserve the next rank."

I disagree. I don't care how hard someone has worked or for how many years. If they don't display the skills and technique deserving to move up to the next belt, they shouldn't be promoted there. Conversely, if you had a guy who doesn't even try very hard and trains inconsistently, but he knows the technique and can apply it at the proper level, he should be promoted to that level.
3/15/11 4:34 AM
Mmanizzle

Edited: 03/15/11 4:52 AM

3/15/11 4:37 AM
Mmanizzle

Edited: 03/15/11 4:50 AM
no one important tells the truth
3/15/11 4:49 AM
Mmanizzle

http://hbe.ehawaii.gov/documents/business.html?fileNumber=68915C5
delete   This business is not in good standing.

MASTER NAME GRACIE BARRA UNIVERSITY, LLC
BUSINESS TYPE Domestic Limited Liability Company (LLC)
REGISTRATION DATE Apr 13, 2009
MAILING ADDRESS 1750 S KING ST STE 200
HONOLULU, Hawaii 96826
UNITED STATES
MANAGED BY MANAGER(S)
AGENT NAME BRIAN LAUGHLIN
AGENT ADDRESS 1750 S KING ST STE 200
HONOLULU, Hawaii 96826
UNITED STATES

I guess Brian Laughlin does exist, apparently this location is not in good standing according to the DCCA.
3/15/11 7:29 AM
BMFL

KUIndustries - I think its a little disrespectful to say we thought he was a god. He's a good guy, awesome teacher and great competitor. He didn't train for the tournament, fought a bigger guy and lost. No biggie, lesson learned no one lol'd because it wasn't funny.

This happened back in the early 90's when everyone was a nuthugger. Maybe a little before your time.
3/15/11 8:09 PM
no one important

Laughlin, Laughlan, not sure. I am sure that he started a real estate company in Hawaii and California when the market was hot but when the real estate market got bad, he converted his real estate office into Barra University. I believe he owns the building. Not a troll just the truth.
3/15/11 10:55 PM
mad tiger

3/16/11 1:20 AM
KUIndustries

BMFL - 
KUIndustries - I think its a little disrespectful to say we thought he was a god. He's a good guy, awesome teacher and great competitor. He didn't train for the tournament, fought a bigger guy and lost. No biggie, lesson learned no one lol'd because it wasn't funny.

My bad bro, thinking about some one else...And yes before my time, I started Muay in the 90's bjj in 2002, with an instructor in 2003 lol

This happened back in the early 90's when everyone was a nuthugger. Maybe a little before your time.

3/16/11 1:23 AM
KUIndustries

Crap don't know where the rest of my post went..

MY BAD! I was thinking about some one else. Definitely before my time, I started Muay Thai in the 90's and bjj in 2002, 2003 with an instructor lol
3/16/11 4:55 AM
jjd
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thats a Mad Tiger Clinic vid..!

LOL @ Barra claimimg anything after that!!!!
3/16/11 4:54 PM
jjmtg
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mad tiger - 
var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/kaw_y3xfFJs?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0", "postVideo-33674932-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-33674932"); .

Awesome video and classic at the same time.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.