UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Judo Rules?

2/23/11 6:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PoWdA101
718 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/23/11 7:19 PM

Can someone give me a basic over view of the rules of judo? Basically, the rules that would be applicable to a newbie. I am just looking fo rthe overall rules. I had my first class today and am anxious to start learning!  
2/23/11 8:31 PM
Seong gyeong
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty sure you can't attack like this in competition any more. (2:12)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFe2z6974oI

Fireman carries are against the rules in formal competition, too, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVulGBe9yec&feature=PlayList&p=9E98E91444B9AAE4&index=10

However, some clubs might allow those techniques in randori.

Also, no leg scissors under any circumstances as far as my experience goes.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4yuhq_yasuhiro-yamashita-jpn-sumio-endo-j_sport

2/24/11 7:46 AM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some things that are not allowed and others will not want to train with you are: appling pressure to the ankle/knee. You can entangle them but not "attack them in any way. Another is when you fight from bottom guard to just hold on and try submission attempts. This is not practical in judo. Another is cross face with their gi(choke attempt), or push on the face with your hand to get them off of you or pull down on the head when you are attempting an armbar from bottom guard. NO neck cranks of any sorts. You should be able to beat your opponent without injuring them. Remember these as a starting point. Your tendency will be to use your BJJ. Judo is gave and take more so than BJJ.
2/25/11 3:54 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

read the rule book.... www.intljudo.com

or... use the search feature. we have talked about this same thing 1000000 times here.
3/2/11 7:59 AM
Bently
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Or ask your coach/sensei next practice. In any case, I'm sure they will be introducing the rules to you as appropriate.

Ben
3/2/11 12:17 PM
PoWdA101
718 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/02/11 12:37 PM
lol a little update. 

So we went in and at the end of class the teacher said we were doing Newaza Randori. I am pretty convinced he is partially doing this to see how his guy sdo on the ground against me (he knows I am a BJJ guy). Anyway I learned a few things really quick:

1) Double legs, not permitted. 

2) I am not supposed to arm bar people unless they are brown belt or above.

3) There are pins in Judo.

It was pretty awesome when I was up against a green belt and neither of us could get a throw and I shot for a double leg, I ended up with a single and was about to yank his leg out from under when when I hear the instructor yell "Matte!" He told me no leg attacks. He also explained leg attacks in great detail after randori and basically went over each rule I broke in detail. It was a good experience. I also totally forgot about pins. A few minutes later this big orange belt with a wrestling background had me in this crushing side control (I have heard of the crushing Judo side control and now have tasted it) and I was taking my time working an escape (which I have shit side control escapes anyway) and all the sudden he just got up and it clicked almost instantly, I was just pinned. 

So, I am loving Judo. My first randori was awesome and I learned more about Judo in about 10 minutes than I had in all of my reasearch before joining up. While I was beating the Green belt (by BJJ standards, basically I maintained a dominant top position) I did Randori with the Orange belt and he crushed me but then again, the guy was not small. I think the first thing I have to learn in newaza is to stay off of my back. I think this will help not only my Judo but also my BJJ. As a BJJ player I have gotten so comfortable being on my back and this is not necesarily a good thing. I can see good things already that I can work on in both games to improve my whole grappling technique. The differences are good and I am enjoying myself thourougly.

So yeah, I am loving Judo. I have class in about an hour and I will be purchasing my first Judogi from the dojo today. 

I am glad this journey has started and I am sure I will be doing this for years to come!

3/2/11 1:20 PM
Spartan79

Judo is a great sport/ art . Coming from a boxing background wasn't sure how I would find it. I tryed bjj but diidnt like the way they just fell on their bums. I like putting them on their bums;-) u can attack the legs but only in a counter attack or part of a combination however u can not just go For a double or single as a first attack! Well no in uk Bja anyway. Phone Post
3/2/11 4:12 PM
PoWdA101

So just got back. More training and more newaza randori. Learned how ot un turtle a guy, nothing like what I have learned in BJJ. Also got crushed by the same wrestling guy but also crushed a yellow belt. Found out the big orange belt wrestler guy is a wrestling instructor with BJJ experience and of course, Judo so I don't feel bad about losing to him at all. Not only that but the guy always go's like 100%. I like it, it can only make me better. 

Anyway, a lot more newaza than I initially thought would be involved but I like it. Can't wait to really get the throws down!
3/3/11 4:41 AM
Bently

hand to leg attacks are OK as second techniques in a combination, or as counters.

In case your coach did not make that clear.

Ben

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.