UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> Taking the back from the single leg takedown...

2/24/11 5:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hybridfc
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi guys,

I saw this clip last night of Lyoto and Anderson sparring, and I noticed that Machida gets the single leg off the cage, then sort of forces him to the ground by swtiching to underhooks and taking his back.

Does anyone know the technique behind this? Or if there is a video instructional of a similar transition?

Thanks in advance, I'm posting this on the wrestling+ forum as well.
2/24/11 5:38 AM
The Persian Devil
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes I know the technique, its easy and effective.

You do a single just as normal, as you are moving your leg in steps to take him down - usually - your opponent start leaning forwards to defend.

As soon as he starts leaning the opposite way of your single leg takedown, you can either:

A: let go off single leg, duck under his near arm and take the back
B: Keep one arm on single leg and the other arm wrapped around his hip or neck and do a high crotch from here. If you do the high crotch towards his side you will most of the time get sidemount. If you are lucky though he will not have time to react and you will end up in rear mount.

You can also do the single leg - he leans opposite way of takedown - you begin the high crotch but as he leans the other way you transition back to the single leg. You can do this back and forth a couple of times and it is extremely effective for me.
2/24/11 5:51 AM
hybridfc
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Persian, thanks a lot! Will be drilling this when my shoulder is recovered.
2/24/11 6:13 AM
The Persian Devil
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hybridfc - Persian, thanks a lot! Will be drilling this when my shoulder is recovered.

No problem, I have inflamed shoulder ligaments right now so we're in the same boat ! 
2/24/11 7:22 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you've got a single leg, you've got an underhook.
3/13/11 3:11 AM
KELLY_Duzan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is very difficult to take anybody down unless they're a complete trained.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.