UnderGround Forums

MMA Writer UnderGround >> Are your characters really alive

2/24/11 7:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DuSmiEthwhi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've noticed that when I write it's more like discovering what happens as opposed to completely dominating the world

Once I had a character that absolutely refused to do what I wanted him to do.

So I had to change what was going to happen next; in doing so the result was much better for my story

Discuss
2/25/11 5:14 PM
zealot66
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think thats the creative muse. Some writers religiously outline their story and fill in the blanks. Others have a general outline and improvise but always striving to get to the goal. Every character and scene has to propel it to the next, imo.
2/25/11 5:28 PM
DuSmiEthwhi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I have the general style with the improvised out line.

So far I know the points I'm heading towards, but not having a defined outline it's almost like I'm reading the book as I write it
2/26/11 3:21 PM
Eh_J
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My best work is when I am an actual character.  Not my name or anything like that, but a character based on the type of person I am and reflecting what I would do in that particular situation.

Sometimes the character is a 'better' version of me. 
2/26/11 5:16 PM
zealot66
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They say that a persons first book is the most autobiographical writing most people do in fiction.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.