UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Gypsy Jazz

2/25/11 8:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know there aren`t lots of Gypsy Jazz fans on the SG, but this is a pretty cool live studio vid with the Robin Nolan Trio:

http://www.justin.tv/robinnolan/b/280385532
2/26/11 11:16 PM
whaledog
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/28/11 12:27 AM
 Very nice.

When I saw it was a 2 hr video I immediately thougut about how sore my left hand would be if I was the rhythm guitarist.

2/27/11 12:59 AM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah it`s long..Plus there is a 40 minute part 2..:).. I put this kind of stuff on when I`m doing shit around the house.. Great vid though of a fantastic guitar player going through the recording process.. The hit most of them with one take..
2/28/11 9:17 AM
whaledog
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tainted Love ftw!  

I did not expect that.
2/28/11 11:42 AM
jman
572 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/28/11 11:44 AM
I'm living in Paris right now (next 5 months) and well...as you know... that is the home of Gypsy jazz. They have a Gypsy jazz jam session on Sundays close to where we are living. I checked out the clubs webpage and found out about this guy who plays there that is absolutely scary (more so on the second video):

I guess Noe Rheinhardt plays there a lot as well.

I'm going to try to sit in and play in a few months, but my gypsy jazz skills suck. I can muddle my way through Minor Swing, but I'd really like to get a good handle on things before I sit in with any of these cats.

My hand problem is off and on again (literally started the day after I typed on your injury thread), I guess it comes with the territory and getting older.

The also have: blues, jazz, funk, fusion and other jam sessions here. I want to try to sit in and play at all of them...well that's the plan at least:

Paris Jam Sessions
3/1/11 8:44 PM
Hillbilly

That is awesome Jimmy!!! You should go to the Samois Festival if you get a chance!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt_Jazz_Festival
3/1/11 9:02 PM
Hillbilly

I have a great Django fakebook that I`ve used to learn tunes. I do Nuages, Djangology, Oriental Shuffle, Sweet Sue, Chinatown, Nagasaki, Shine, Blue Bossa, Dark Eyes etc..

I would be scared to death to go sit in on a Gypsy Jazz jam in Paris or one of the Gypsy Camps in Belgium though.. ESPECIALLY with guys like that..lol..

I`m a good GJ rhythm player though, so I would more than likely be chunking chords for the "Hot Rods"..lol
3/1/11 9:25 PM
Hillbilly

Swing 48 is a great one..Same with Swing 42..
3/1/11 9:28 PM
Hillbilly

Edited: 03/01/11 9:36 PM
That "rest stroke" thing is so much different than the old alternating stroke.. I hear lots of Stecolo Rosenberg licks on the first clip.. That is one of my favorite tunes to do (swing 48)..

I`m sure you know it`s all about the arpeggio`s in GJ much more so than "scales".
3/1/11 9:30 PM
Hillbilly

Edited: 03/01/11 9:35 PM
Rosenberg Trio doing "Swing 42"..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jy-XPgLpgc

Tommy E playing Swing 42.. Really a nice tune and not too tough. The changes are basically 1-6-2-5, then the bridge modulates and also 1-6-2-5..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvNuigQrFM8
3/2/11 2:57 PM
whaledog

Hillbilly,

Thanks for posting the original video.  I enjoyed the music enough that I decided to support the artist and download the album at bandcamp.com.

http://robinnolan.bandcamp.com/

3/2/11 5:14 PM
Hillbilly

whaledog - Hillbilly,

Thanks for posting the original video.  I enjoyed the music enough that I decided to support the artist and download the album at bandcamp.com.

<br type="_moz" />

Nice! He also has the best Gypsy Jazz instructional material on the market, though a little pricey.. probably the best "Gadjo" (non-gypsy) GJ player around.. Him or John Jorgeson..
3/2/11 5:38 PM
whaledog

Edited: 03/03/11 12:17 PM
Hillbilly - 
whaledog - Hillbilly,

Nice! He also has the best Gypsy Jazz instructional material on the market, though a little pricey.. probably the best "Gadjo" (non-gypsy) GJ player around.. Him or John Jorgeson..

Yeah, well I got a loooooooong way to go with my old, simple fingerstyle blues stuff.  I can't even imagine tackling gypsy jazz.

On the other hand, it would give me a perfectly good excuse to get a new guitar.  hmmmm . . .   ;)

3/3/11 8:37 AM
jman
572 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow that Djangofest looks amazing, I'll be here in June so I will have to go!

http://www.festivaldjangoreinhardt.com/spip.php?&lang=en

I'm pretty good at sweep picking arpeggios on the guitar (I've only had an acoustic guitar the past 6 months so my hands have gotten pretty strong when they are not breaking down). I'm also decent at alternate picking (practicing and trying to play some of the old DiMeola acoustic stuff) but I'm not EVEN going to try doing that rest stroke picking the gypsy guys do. I'm still struggling to increase my speeds with normal picking, don't want to throw a wrench into that mess.

I found this Django Fakebook that is over 250 pages:

http://www.gypsyguitar.de/downloads/gg-downloads/fakebook_django_2008.pdf

I'm working on a few songs now: Minor Swing, Limehouse Blues, Swing 42, Nauges, Sweet Georgia Brown and some others. It will be a month or more before I feel even remotely comfortable with playing them out live though. I'll never "be" a GJ guitar player, but I'll give it a shot, wtf?

I just started practicing the "real" way to play the rhytm, holy fuck another world...what it sounds like and what it really is are 2 different things.

Two really great videos that explain it well:

Here are some great free playalong tracks:

http://www.stephanewrembel.com/play-alongs/

I've got a lot of work to do...well at least it's fun!
3/3/11 5:51 PM
Hillbilly

I learned the "real" way to play GJ rhythm when I was stuck in bed for a couple of months about 10-11 years ago.. I had several great instructional`s, plus a couple of friends that are very well versed help me out..

I think that`s the fakebook I have, plus I have a ton of backing tracks..I have the Stephan Wrembel books, the John Jorgeson series, the Dix Bruce stuff, etc..

In a way it`s kind of strange, an American copying a Euro version of American Jazz..lol

My first wife (RIP) was Romnichel.. When we would watch "Legacy Of Django" or something similar she would always say how much it reminded her of her family while growing up..
3/3/11 5:53 PM
Hillbilly

whaledog - 
Hillbilly - 
whaledog - Hillbilly,

<br type="_moz" />

Yeah, well I got a loooooooong way to go with my old, simple fingerstyle blues stuff.  I can't even imagine tackling gypsy jazz.

On the other hand, it would give me a perfectly good excuse to get a new guitar.  hmmmm . . .   ;)<br type="_moz" /> 

I have a pretty nice pacrim made GJ guitar. The oval hole style one.. That thing spanks and is like a race car compared to my Martin..
3/3/11 5:57 PM
Hillbilly

M y last band were bluegrass guys trying to play Django tunes, but they just weren`t getting it.. It was sounding more like stiff bluegrass than Gypsy Jazz.. I`m trying to put together a GJ trio or quartet at the moment.. I`ve been working hard on the Django tunes (not that I do them justice) for the last few years..

Fun, lively music that people can talk to each other while listening..

I`m envious jman..
3/3/11 7:14 PM
jman

Cool thanks for the feedback man, I'll keep you posted. I just watched a Al DiMeola REH instructional video on YouTube and feel retarded again. Man, it never ends...but I guess that is what is so fucking awesome about music, there's never something NOT new to learn.

I'll keep you posted, good luck to you with everything!
3/3/11 8:06 PM
Hillbilly

Al DiMeola?!?!

no comment..lol

That`s what I love too..Obviously no one can do it all, but it sure keeps my interest up playing different types of music..

There are only 12 notes after all..lol
3/4/11 2:14 PM
T Bag
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of my fave gypsy jazzers Birelli Lagrene
3/4/11 5:48 PM
Hillbilly

Bireli is the man.. A true Sinti Gypsy.

he was the man when he was 12 years old..lol
3/5/11 7:53 AM
jman

Edited: 03/05/11 7:59 AM
my god he's amazing, so smooth

I remember about 25 years ago hearing stories about "some kid" at 13 tearing up all of the Django stuff.
3/5/11 12:48 PM
Hillbilly

He did lots of recordings with Jaco Pastorius also.. That`s Bireli on Jaco`s "Donna Lee" track...

He is the king of all those guys (GJ players) imho..

Bireli was born in 1961..

I LOVE this track with him playing with Django`s son Babik..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jHBbu7b_n4
3/5/11 12:50 PM
Hillbilly

Have you seen these Jimmy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-llBp6TGcY
3/5/11 4:52 PM
jman

Yeah I saw those playalong GJ things on YouTube, those are great thanks.

Man there was nothing available for me to learn anything 25 years ago, besides the Guitar Player magazine that would come out every month at the library. Now I can type in YouTube and get instant video lessons on stuff I'd never dream of learning. My god how times have changed.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.