UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Gypsy Jazz

3/6/11 3:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jman - Yeah I saw those playalong GJ things on YouTube, those are great thanks.

Man there was nothing available for me to learn anything 25 years ago, besides the Guitar Player magazine that would come out every month at the library. Now I can type in YouTube and get instant video lessons on stuff I'd never dream of learning. My god how times have changed.

I first learned from records.. It was great when CD`s came out and you didn`t have scratch your records all up trying to learn a lick/song..lol
3/7/11 10:53 AM
T Bag
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The biggest problem with Gypsy jazz is how regressive it is. Its entire focus is on sounding as close to Django or Grappelli as possible. I knew some people who used to be in the "GJ scene" and they said it was brutally judgmental in terms of how well you could ape the legends. Kind of weird if you think about it. Imagine is Jazz never moved past coping Louis.

Not to say that there arent some amazing musicians in the genre. Heck, I stil listen to Stochelo and Birelli pretty regularly.
3/7/11 1:12 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

T Bag -  The biggest problem with Gypsy jazz is how regressive it is. Its entire focus is on sounding as close to Django or Grappelli as possible. I knew some people who used to be in the "GJ scene" and they said it was brutally judgmental in terms of how well you could ape the legends. Kind of weird if you think about it. Imagine is Jazz never moved past coping Louis.

Not to say that there arent some amazing musicians in the genre. Heck, I stil listen to Stochelo and Birelli pretty regularly.

I think it`s kind of evolved past Django. There will always be standards in all "styles" of music. You can tell Django not only listened to Louis but also the Mills Brothers and Eddie Lang/Joe Venuti.

No one sounds like Django imo, and it is cultural music..When you listen to lots of it you can tell a true Gypsy from a Gadjo (non gypsy) immediately.. Kind of like Blues..lol

Just another fraction of trad. Jazz imo..
3/7/11 1:19 PM
Hillbilly

Edited: 03/07/11 1:20 PM
I`m not sure it`s any more judged than any other type of guitar shredding.. I know Jazz snobs, Bluegrass snobs, Hair Band snobs, and of course Blues snobs ..I`ve been at several Bluegrass jams that the circle will just push folks out and turn their back.. It can be a brutal way to learn..

I would imagine it`s even worse in Paris as the French have always had a..snobby rep..lol
3/7/11 11:18 PM
Hillbilly

I was about 15 when I first started listening to Django.. My friends were all rockin out to Zep, Jimi, Blue Oyster Cult (mid 70`s).
3/8/11 11:33 AM
whaledog
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hillbilly - I was about 15 when I first started listening to Django.. My friends were all rockin out to Zep, Jimi, Blue Oyster Cult (mid 70`s).

Man, you were on it.  I just bought my first Django album last week.  :)
3/8/11 1:36 PM
Hillbilly

Have you seen the movie "Sweet and Lowdown" with Sean Penn.. Listening to Django has about the same effect on me..lol
3/8/11 5:27 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WOW, this thread has changed my life and outlook on music. All the guitar players I used to idolize, suck now. I have spent the last day listing to nothing but Django and Rosenberg.
3/8/11 8:16 PM
Hillbilly

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - WOW, this thread has changed my life and outlook on music. All the guitar players I used to idolize, suck now. I have spent the last day listing to nothing but Django and Rosenberg.

LMAO! Cool and convert!!

I find myself being just as amazed by the early Mills Brother`s and their "Mouth Orchestra" They used absolutely NO instruments but voice and a Guitar.. I can`t imagine the talent those guys had.. No over-dubbing back them so it was all one take..

They did lots of background music for the old Fleischer cartoons.. This song Dinah was a Louis Armstrong hit, but this Mill`s bros song predates Django.. It became one of Django`s most popular tracks to copy..:

Please post `ol kind Blue-Namer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcxxMjtk2lA
3/8/11 8:25 PM
Hillbilly

This clip shows them doing the "Mouth Orchestra".. I just don`t here this kind of talent in most contemporary music..Maybe I`m a "Moldy Fig" as Charlie Parker described it..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui_icfQoAeU&NR=1
3/8/11 8:28 PM
whaledog
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/08/11 8:30 PM
Hillbilly - Have you seen the movie "Sweet and Lowdown" with Sean Penn.. Listening to Django has about the same effect on me..lol

Yeah, I saw it years and years ago.  It was my first exposure to Django.  Funny thing is I was just telling my wife about it - and specifically about Sean Penn fainting - on Friday.  She wants to rent it on Netflix. 
3/8/11 8:34 PM
whaledog

Hillbilly - 
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - WOW, this thread has changed my life and outlook on music. All the guitar players I used to idolize, suck now. I have spent the last day listing to nothing but Django and Rosenberg.

LMAO! Cool and convert!!

I find myself being just as amazed by the early Mills Brother`s and their "Mouth Orchestra" They used absolutely NO instruments but voice and a Guitar.. I can`t imagine the talent those guys had.. No over-dubbing back them so it was all one take..

They did lots of background music for the old Fleischer cartoons.. This song Dinah was a Louis Armstrong hit, but this Mill`s bros song predates Django.. It became one of Django`s most popular tracks to copy..:

Please post `ol kind Blue-Namer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcxxMjtk2lA

3/14/11 6:24 PM
whaledog

Check this.  Gypsy Jazz on a Tele.

3/16/11 5:46 PM
Hillbilly

Jman* what kind of guitar are you playing in Paris? Did you buy one there or bring one (some)?

3/16/11 5:47 PM
Hillbilly

whaledog - Check this.  Gypsy Jazz on a Tele.

lol..all I see is a black box.

3/16/11 7:22 PM
whaledog

Edited: 03/16/11 7:22 PM
Hillbilly - 
whaledog - Check this.  Gypsy Jazz on a Tele.

lol..all I see is a black box.

Hmmmm, lets try again because the Tele sounds surprisingly nice IMO (although not traditional, of course).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5oZfOgE40M

3/17/11 1:07 PM
jman
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hillbilly - Jman* what kind of guitar are you playing in Paris? Did you buy one there or bring one (some)?

I just have a crapppy Line 6 nylon acoustic electric (like the Chet Atkins model). Not a great guitar, but proabaly ok to sit in with. I just started working on Nuages today. Man I suck at Gypsy jazz, those guys are just monsters...I'm getting better every day, but damn it ain't easy.
3/18/11 4:46 PM
Hillbilly

jman - 
Hillbilly - Jman* what kind of guitar are you playing in Paris? Did you buy one there or bring one (some)?

I just have a crapppy Line 6 nylon acoustic electric (like the Chet Atkins model). Not a great guitar, but proabaly ok to sit in with. I just started working on Nuages today. Man I suck at Gypsy jazz, those guys are just monsters...I'm getting better every day, but damn it ain't easy.

No it`s not easy..Funny as I worked on Nuages for hours last night..lol.. Djangology is another one I have been playing lots lately..

Man I envy you for being in Paris right now..
3/19/11 11:45 AM
jman
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm planning on going to a Gypsy Jazz jam session on Sunday and next Friday plan a jam here in our small studio. No idea what will happen, but WTF, gotta try to do some stuff.

I'll keep you posted.
3/21/11 9:48 AM
jman

I went to the Gypsy Jazz jam session last night but it was already over. I talked to the violinist and piano player (both young guys who spoke English well) and they said it is only from 7:00-10:00pm on Sunday nights. I'll probably try to go next week at the correct time.

We are actually having a party Friday and a classical violinist from Finland who plays in Gypsy Jazz group in Finland is coming over so we will play some stuff. I hope some other musicians will come.

I'm working on: Minor Swing, Nuages, Swing 48, All of Me and Limehouse Blues. I'm going to suck I'm sure, but wtf. My wife will probably video tape it, so I'll post it on this thread for "entertainment" puroposes.
3/21/11 11:34 AM
whaledog

jman - I went to the Gypsy Jazz jam session last night but it was already over. I talked to the violinist and piano player (both young guys who spoke English well) and they said it is only from 7:00-10:00pm on Sunday nights. I'll probably try to go next week at the correct time.

We are actually having a party Friday and a classical violinist from Finland who plays in Gypsy Jazz group in Finland is coming over so we will play some stuff. I hope some other musicians will come.

I'm working on: Minor Swing, Nuages, Swing 48, All of Me and Limehouse Blues. I'm going to suck I'm sure, but wtf. My wife will probably video tape it, so I'll post it on this thread for "entertainment" puroposes.
Cool.  Can't wait to see it.

3/22/11 1:26 PM
Hillbilly

I'm working on: Minor Swing, Nuages, Swing 48, All of Me and Limehouse Blues.

All good ones. Swing 48 is a fun one.. The Django solo on the fast version of limehouse blues is friggin` amazing..One of his very best solos imho..."After You`ve Gone" has another great Django solo and Stephan out does himself....

I read an old interview where they asked Stephan about Joe Venuti`s playing "Too many notes" Stephan replied.. When they asked Joe he said Stephan "Plays like the flamer he is"...lol
3/22/11 5:27 PM
jman

I'm not playing any of the Django solos, I'm just going to improvise. I started to learn the "Minor Swing" solo, but gave up after a while.

I'm also learning 2 Tango pieces for the jam to play with the violinist "Libertango" and "Oblivion" it's going to be an interesting night.
3/22/11 11:04 PM
Hillbilly

jman - I'm not playing any of the Django solos, I'm just going to improvise. I started to learn the "Minor Swing" solo, but gave up after a while.

I'm also learning 2 Tango pieces for the jam to play with the violinist "Libertango" and "Oblivion" it's going to be an interesting night.

I would be amazed if you could play those solos..lol.

Minor Swing isn`t all that tough, hell even Johnny Depp pulled it off in "Cholcolate"..lol
3/23/11 5:24 AM
jman

I could learn "Minor Swing" but forget about "Limehouse Blues" wow, that's just so bad ass and amazing, I don't even want to try to learn it.

Sometimes a great "solo" loses the magic once you figure it out and learn how to play it...at least that's good excuse aye?

70 years later and Django's playing kicks the ass of 99% of the guitar players out there today. As amazing as it is that he basically only used 2 fingers, I think that's WHY he was such a unique icon. He HAD to figure out a new way to play things (those fast chromatic lines on 1 string sliding up the neck, etc). A legend and genius for sure.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.