UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Gypsy Jazz

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/23/11 12:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jman - I could learn "Minor Swing" but forget about "Limehouse Blues" wow, that's just so bad ass and amazing, I don't even want to try to learn it.

Sometimes a great "solo" loses the magic once you figure it out and learn how to play it...at least that's good excuse aye?

70 years later and Django's playing kicks the ass of 99% of the guitar players out there today. As amazing as it is that he basically only used 2 fingers, I think that's WHY he was such a unique icon. He HAD to figure out a new way to play things (those fast chromatic lines on 1 string sliding up the neck, etc). A legend and genius for sure.

Yeah I think that is a big reason he was so good, that and he was reported to be able to memorize up to 17 different melody s at a time that he had never heard.. In other words someone would play up to 17 different songs he had never heard once, and Django could play them all back perfectly..

He had to have been a hoss imo with amazing hand strength..
3/23/11 1:55 PM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hay have you been to check out Django`s guitar yet?

Cool youtube vid blueprinting Selmer #503

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeSo66p7G_8
3/23/11 2:31 PM
whaledog
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hillbilly - Hay have you been to check out Django`s guitar yet?

Cool youtube vid blueprinting Selmer #503

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeSo66p7G_8
Good find!  That video's only been up for a day!

3/24/11 12:23 PM
jman
647 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I heard the same thing about Shawn Lane with being able to play back something after hearing it only one time. I think that "mental" photographic memory must play into muscle memory as well because Shawn Lane, Django, Art Tatum, etc are all just at different levels that none of us will ever, ever be able to achieve. It's amazing enough to "remember" something on 1 hearing, but to instantly play it, you've got to be born with that much like perfect pitch I think.

I saw the "Musee de Musique" is here in Paris, but now I really need to go check it out thanks.
3/26/11 7:31 PM
jman
647 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As promised here's some videos from the jam session last night. This was the first time we had ever played together and we only got to rehearse like 30 minute right before the party/jam session. The video quality is pretty bad as well as most of my playing, but luckly the violininst, Pasi Eerikäinen from Finland, kicked ass.

Libertango - Astor Piazzolla

Oblivion - Astor Piazzolla

Nuages - Django

Minor Swing - Django

We also played "Honeysuckle Rose" but we kind of trainwrecked the ending, so I didn't upload that one.
3/26/11 10:23 PM
Hillbilly

Very cool! That fiddle player is great and has the intonation from hell! I think you sound good! Looks like you got the m6 chord down pat. ;) Nuages is such a purty song and a blast to play.

Looks like fun to me!
3/27/11 9:58 AM
whaledog
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jman,  That was very nice.  You guys sounded great!
3/27/11 2:08 PM
jman

Edited: 03/27/11 2:09 PM
Thanks guys, Pasi is leaving tomorrow, but I told him I might write some music and he wanted to play violin on it, so hopefully we will work in the future.

Dude is a badass violinist and also a very cool guy. He has some solo violin concerts coming up in Finland playing some Mozart and Mendohlson violin concertos.

I'm definitely the lucky one, that's for sure.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.