UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Tendonitis

2/26/11 3:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jonestown
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone have any experience or advice on dealing with tendonitis?

Over the past several months I've developed tendonitis in my (dominant) right hand, it's reached the point where I can't spread peanut butter or cut anything unless I've spent at least thirty minutes stretching the hand first.

I work with my hands (I'm a welder), which I'm sure has aggravated or contributed the problem - although I'm barely able to work at all now.

I've started physiotherapy, and have an appointment with a doctor next week; is there anything I should make a point of asking or bringing up with them?
2/27/11 11:34 AM
MikeD

Mine flares up every few years. The first time I experienced it I honestly thought I fractured something. I remember I couldn't initiate the ignition in my vehicle with my dominant hand. I used 800mg naproxen and used a brace when typing. For whatever reason, it hasn't bothered me much in the last few years. The more I type, the more it flares up.

By no means am I sold on it or stating it as fact, but dietary interventions like supplementation of EPA/DHA, Vit D-3, and a anti inflammatory diet might be of help. Maybe try it out for 30 days?
3/17/11 2:27 AM
jonestown

Thanks for the advice MikeD; I am looking into dietary changes as a long term aid.

Anyone who has ongoing cramps in their hands, I certainly recommend you don't wait as long as I did before seeing a doctor.

It's now been twenty days since I've ceased doing anything involving gripping, and the inflamation is only starting to go down.

Mobility is still low, and because of nodules are scar tissue on the tendons, my fingers are probably going to continue 'sticking' for a very long time ('trigger finger' in addition to more normal tendonitis & strained tendons).

My doctor thinks it's unlikely that I'll be able to work long shifts without re-igniting the condition for a very long time.

If I hadn't tried to ignore something I knew was a problem for a few months, I probably wouldn't be looking at such a long recovery time.

Ah well; this has been the motivation I needed to look into going back to university and picking up where I left off a long time ago, so silver linings and all that.
3/20/11 1:14 PM
MattB ATC
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd recommend looking into some aggressive soft tissue work - Graston, ART, etc. They can help out significantly with the nodules/scar tissue/restrictions as well as help with healing of the tendons.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.