UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> MMA: you mix or you train different disciplines?

2/26/11 6:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DinoFuoco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As in the subject. Do you mix muay thai, bjj, etc, into MMA or you train any discipline differently (as GSP does i.e)?
Thanks for your feed back.
2/26/11 9:21 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the answer is both. There is a time for the learning and isolation of specific skills of mma, that come from seperate arts, but the sucess of the application of these techniques will need to be integrated into training the actual sport (sport-specific) to be successful.

2/27/11 6:59 PM
bromaplata
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's best to train them seperate at first. And then when you mix them it feels more natural as opposed to just all at once. That's my opinion anyways Phone Post
3/5/11 3:27 AM
KELLY_Duzan

Well we were supposed to have a date tonight
3/5/11 3:33 AM
joweez

i treat mma like a separate style all together. working on everything else independently gives me more depth to pull from towards everything else.

and sometimes it feels good fighting without going to the ground.
3/6/11 1:50 AM
MrBoone
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joweez - i treat mma like a separate style all together. working on everything else independently gives me more depth to pull from towards everything else.

and sometimes it feels good fighting without going to the ground.

3/13/11 3:07 AM
KELLY_Duzan

innovative and creative processes
3/13/11 7:33 PM
e. kaye

You should have one core art and integrate into that whatever you need.   Otherwise you might have contradictory mechanics, stances, etc. by stuidying separate arts and trying to make them work together.
3/13/11 7:55 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I disagree with some of the posts here, but I'm actually writing about this very topic in a blog I hope to get out very soon. (will post here for sure.)
3/15/11 5:51 PM
pcuzz
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Technique improves in isolation. Your boxing gets better by boxing. Your wrestling gets better by wrestling. You can even do it on the Micro level such as training only the jab or only training the RNC. After isolation training then you integrate.
3/15/11 11:58 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

Edited: 03/15/11 11:59 PM

3/23/11 1:27 PM
rebelrace

Endurance is key. Rebel Race 15k military run looks hardcore. My friends and I started training for it.
5/16/11 7:16 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

fairfaxmma.blogspot.com/2011/04/introduction-to-mma-sparring-part-2.html
5/24/11 2:35 AM
nogblublt
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Training separately allows you more time to improve each area separately. The way I have always trained is you have bjj, boxing, wrestling, and muay Thai. Then you would have an mma class where you work on mma specific drills/training ( ground and pound, cage tactics, ect) and mma sparring to combine all your skills. I think this is the best way to improve all of your skills and mold them into one. This is how almost all the top pro fighters train. Phone Post
6/12/11 11:11 AM
Traditionalist

I work everything individually, and then together to combine movements. For me it comes down to who can teach me the move perfectly and mechanically. I am blessed to live in South East MI and have the ability to travel to Chicago, Toronto, Ohio, Indiana, and of course in Detroit to learn.

Due to my access to good Kyokushin, good Shooto, decent Muay Thai, great BJJ, great wrestling, AMAZING Boxing, ect, ect, I do not see why I would not train individually. I then can go to Coopers MMA, Carlos Gracie Fight Team, Hammer House, or some such notable MMA gym in the area to work it all together.

But it depends on the situation. I would not if I did not have such good individual resources.
6/13/11 12:14 AM
Bull_in_chinashop

Edited: 06/13/11 12:14 AM
6/13/11 1:21 AM
pcuzz
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would point out that if your going to train the individual sports make sure you train it with MMA in mind, you dont want to develop some of the bad habits that arent bad habits in those respective sports.
7/19/11 6:26 AM
Zoeyerin

Hey if you are interessed, there is a great special week ( all day, 10h-21h) of intensive training in all kinds of martial arts : all kinds of boxing, mma, wrestling etc.and physical conditioning.
It's directed by a few world champions so it would be a good chance to start off your career with correct basics.
Plus since it's abroad, it would be a great vacation.
Email them at panza.gym@sfr.fr or panzagym@free.fr for more info!
It's also possible to sleep there so don't hesitate to inform yourself!
http://www.alsace-sportdecontact.fr/index.php/prochainement.html
7/28/11 1:53 PM
glock4life

definitely train seperately. Mix it together on occasion.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.