UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Do you guys text during church?

3/1/11 9:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ArtWanderlei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am sure a lot of you don't bring your phone in with you, but a lot of you bring them in and turn the ringer off.

If you get a text during church, do you answer it? I mean you can do two things at once. You can listen and sing along while responding to a text.

Do you feel it is wrong? If so, why?
3/4/11 4:48 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends if the preacher is boring or not haha.
3/5/11 6:02 AM
Ridgeback
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No.  If you see church as a place to text you should choose to not go.
3/5/11 9:21 AM
ArtWanderlei

Ridgeback, I don't think people see it as a place to text.  It is just that life happens.....
3/5/11 11:58 PM
Ridgeback
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ArtWanderlei -  Ridgeback, I don't think people see it as a place to text.  It is just that life happens.....

Huh?  It doesn't happen if you turn your phone off.  If you are on emergency call for something that might be valid, but other than that if you feel more inclined to text it would make sense just to no attend.  Of course the problem is that in most churches today it is set up as a performance in which the audience passively receives a service so they don't see themselves as part of a royal priesthood actively involved in the worship.  Texting at a show is something altogether different.    
3/6/11 8:09 PM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"it would make sense just to no attend."

it is always better to attend rather than not go at all. at least if you are going, you are there for God to possibly grab your attention. if you arent there at all, the chance is less likely
3/6/11 8:28 PM
Ridgeback

DyingBreed - "it would make sense just to no attend."

it is always better to attend rather than not go at all. at least if you are going, you are there for God to possibly grab your attention. if you arent there at all, the chance is less likely

I would rather you were hot or cold, but because you are lukewarm I spew thee from my mouth.  This "it is better to be a half-assed Christian than not one at all" business is not biblical whatsoever.  
3/7/11 12:08 AM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thats not what im saying bro. im saying it is better for them to be exposed to the gospel in hopes they will suddenly be convicted and wake up, then just not being around it at all.

Jesus was very clear about lukewarmness, i understand that. what i am saying is not to forsake the assembling together thing. if they are around, it is more likely they will wake up is all.
3/7/11 1:53 AM
Ridgeback

DyingBreed - thats not what im saying bro. im saying it is better for them to be exposed to the gospel in hopes they will suddenly be convicted and wake up, then just not being around it at all.

Jesus was very clear about lukewarmness, i understand that. what i am saying is not to forsake the assembling together thing. if they are around, it is more likely they will wake up is all.

Any Christian who understands assembling together equally understands that he should turn his phone off while worshipping God.  I don't see why you are going so far out of your way to excuse what amounts to childish behavior.
3/9/11 10:10 AM
DyingBreed

not excusing anything. its plain rude to text in church.

that being said, he/she should still come
3/28/11 11:59 AM
figure four

some churches...ask you to check in / turn in your cell phone at the coat check should it ring once on previous occasion. Or ask you to leave it in your car during worship...

3/29/11 2:53 AM
DyingBreed

wow ff, thats some hardcore stuff. good idea though
3/29/11 10:57 PM
Juijitsuboxer
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use the Bible app on my Smartphone in church to read the Bible and follow along. I did let the pastor know ahead of time though, so he would not think I was blowing it off. He reads his sermon notes from an iPad, so he understood.
4/6/11 10:37 AM
RamK
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sermon notes from an Ipad...

Thats one hip preacher.
4/7/11 7:47 PM
Juijitsuboxer
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The iPad is only a tool to be used for many purposes.
4/30/11 4:19 AM
PastorJosh

I have to admit....one Sunday morning my printer died and I couldn't print my sermon. I used my iPhone to preach from. :) Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.