UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> Hello, new member to the site.

3/2/11 1:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Snaggleture
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the site. I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. I have been training for about 5 years. Currently I am a Blue Belt under Dean Lister and recieved 2 Stripes from Felipe Costa.

Here are a couple videos of me as a fresh Blue Belt. In some No-Gi Tourneys. I cannot post links since I am not a blue namer. So please, just copy and paste. Currently I train Gi Mainly now . I love the chokes and sweeps with the Gi.

Hope you enjoy and thanks for taking the time to read this thread!

First Video of me getting my ass outpointed..but there is a surprise ending right at the buzzer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3ZKzQIF2JQ

Here is another Video of me finishing with a Triangle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjq_esCJ4Ww
3/2/11 6:47 PM
Tap21
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How was training under Lister?
3/2/11 7:15 PM
Snaggleture

Tap21 - How was training under Lister?

It's been Great! I still train at the same gym. He is always down to help and show corrections in his students game. Im greatful to be in an area where there are many well rounded Bjj players.
3/2/11 10:12 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A 5 year blue belt? Shit. You been training the 5 full years or on and off for 5 years?
3/2/11 11:14 PM
Snaggleture

TheBulgarianAssassin - A 5 year blue belt? Shit. You been training the 5 full years or on and off for 5 years?

Is that too long for me to be at a blue? Just wondering...

I started in 2006 but mainly did no-gi for that year. I recieved my Blue in the beg. Of 2008. Felipe Costa awarded me two stripes in the begining of 2010. Then I fell into a Modern Warfare 2 addiction for the rest of that year which literaly almost killed my Jiu-Jitsu and Sanity.I would go once a week or even a month. I started seriously training again at the begining of this year.
3/3/11 1:02 AM
Tap21
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good job on your matches man.

That first 10th Planet guy had some good sweeps from half with his electric chair to whip up to half and half variation and the homer simpson right at the start.

The end was awesome. Him: "Yes....I am in the truck." You: "Surprise!"

In the second match, I liked the way you spun in the opposite direction after the pass and then slid the triangle right on. Did you train that prior to that competition?
3/3/11 1:07 AM
TheBulgarianAssassin
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Snaggleture - 
TheBulgarianAssassin - A 5 year blue belt? Shit. You been training the 5 full years or on and off for 5 years?

I started in 2006 but mainly did no-gi for that year. I recieved my Blue in the beg. Of 2008. Felipe Costa awarded me two stripes in the begining of 2010. Then I fell into a Modern Warfare 2 addiction for the rest of that year which literaly almost killed my Jiu-Jitsu and Sanity.I would go once a week or even a month. I started seriously training again at the begining of this year.

5 years is a solid purple, maybe even brown level. But you said you trained a lot of no-gi and didn't train that much last year but still. Have you competed at blue belt recently? Seems like you'd have a good experience advantage on other blue belts.
3/3/11 2:08 AM
Snaggleture

Tap21 - Good job on your matches man.

That first 10th Planet guy had some good sweeps from half with his electric chair to whip up to half and half variation and the homer simpson right at the start.

The end was awesome. Him: "Yes....I am in the truck." You: "Surprise!"

In the second match, I liked the way you spun in the opposite direction after the pass and then slid the triangle right on. Did you train that prior to that competition?

Lol @ surprise! Yes Ian was putting a clinic on. I consider that my "haymaker" sub. win. With 10 seconds left backed into a corner, I had to pull something out of my ass.

Later that year Ian and I met at another tournament and he beat me on points.

As for that triangle, yes I trained that a lot against a friend who was a decent wrestler and weighed about 215. I weighed about 145. but currently I am at 136 pounds for an upcoming tourney. He would get side control a lot so I figured out that technique. It's a hip bump escape with a spin.

Thanks a lot for the comments!
3/3/11 2:39 AM
Snaggleture

TheBulgarianAssassin - 
Snaggleture - 

5 years is a solid purple, maybe even brown level. But you said you trained a lot of no-gi and didn't train that much last year but still. Have you competed at blue belt recently? Seems like you'd have a good experience advantage on other blue belts.

I will be competing in the abu dhabi trials this weekend. My first tournament since last year.

My third month training Jiu-Jitsu is when I started competing. Since then (pre modern warfare 2 breakdown) I have been actively participating in local tournaments.I also have participated in Grapplers Quest and IBJJF. I have never placed top 3 in an IBJJF tournament yet. Nonetheless I like me my tournaments. My instructor does not promote because of wins in tournaments.

Also in between that 5 years I was training and competed in Pankration.
3/3/11 4:44 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin

Snaggleture - I will be competing in the abu dhabi trials this weekend. My first tournament since last year.

My third month training Jiu-Jitsu is when I started competing. Since then (pre modern warfare 2 breakdown) I have been actively participating in local tournaments.I also have participated in Grapplers Quest and IBJJF. I have never placed top 3 in an IBJJF tournament yet. Nonetheless I like me my tournaments. My instructor does not promote because of wins in tournaments.

Then you should be able to light up everyone in competition. Make a thread about how you did, with vids after your tourney is over. But 5 years experience is at least at a purple belt level imo. Cuz I'm a 4 stripe blue belt who's been training a lil over 2 years and it seems unfair that people that have been training twice as long as me (or even more than twice as long) are in the same belt or skill level. No-gi skill levels, which are based on time trained, are better than gi belt levels imo. There is less sandbagging in no-gi, I think. With gi, you can be at a certain belt level as long as you want- nothing is forcing you to move up to the next level.

That is all. Good luck in your tournament.
3/3/11 6:54 PM
Snaggleture

TheBulgarianAssassin - 
Snaggleture - I will be competing in the abu dhabi trials this weekend. My first tournament since last year.

Then you should be able to light up everyone in competition. Make a thread about how you did, with vids after your tourney is over. But 5 years experience is at least at a purple belt level imo. Cuz I'm a 4 stripe blue belt who's been training a lil over 2 years and it seems unfair that people that have been training twice as long as me (or even more than twice as long) are in the same belt or skill level. No-gi skill levels, which are based on time trained, are better than gi belt levels imo. There is less sandbagging in no-gi, I think. With gi, you can be at a certain belt level as long as you want- nothing is forcing you to move up to the next level.

That is all. Good luck in your tournament.

Thank you for the well wishes.I am very motivated for this tournament. That is what I'm hoping to do, but also keep in mind I tap to lower belts and even to the nogi guys that don't train gi in the gym and tournaments. And then somedays it feels like my game is on fire and I give some of the purple belts a good roll and I catch the lower belts as well. Personally I don't think I'm at a purple belt just yet. Then again , I don't know much about promotions...and sometimes it feels like I don't even know anything about Jiu-Jitsu..its kinda odd..So I just take my jiu-jitsu journey as it is. With and without a gi, having fun making friends and learning some sick tricks.

I'll keep you posted on the tourney.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.