UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> Getting stacked in guard

3/2/11 5:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Matt le kat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When someone is in my guard (usually the more bigger guys) the guy usually wraps his arms around my head/neck and just clings on (not a neck crank, just literally hugging my head). Like they're squeezing for some kind of submission that isn't there, but it still makes it really hard for me to do anything because they're well based and I can't really move my head.
It happened again tonight in training and it's just so frickin frustrating because they're not trying for anything but I kinda feel at a stalemate.
Any advice??
3/2/11 6:46 PM
Tap21
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kiss them softly on the cheek.

3/3/11 10:52 AM
Snaggleture

Edited: 03/03/11 10:56 AM
Matt le kat - When someone is in my guard (usually the more bigger guys) the guy usually wraps his arms around my head/neck and just clings on (not a neck crank, just literally hugging my head). Like they're squeezing for some kind of submission that isn't there, but it still makes it really hard for me to do anything because they're well based and I can't really move my head.
It happened again tonight in training and it's just so frickin frustrating because they're not trying for anything but I kinda feel at a stalemate.
Any advice??

Is your Guard closed or open? Are both his arms Under your neck and head? are you flat on your back? From what you have written they are just on top of you squeezing.

This has happened to me many times and this is an example of one of the things that I would try.. (I weigh 145)

First I would open my guard. Start shrimping out, get off the flat of your back and start getting to your side, move your hips . The guy will probably try to follow your hips, as an example you are on bottom and he is following your right side to close the distance,trap his left leg with your right leg.your right thigh should be pressed up against the side of him..and since both his arms are under your neck, trap his left arm with your right hand and if possible trap it with your right sholder at the same time so he cannot pull his arm out.that is free and do a Bump and then Bridge to your right. Bridge on your shoulder and side of your face. Do not try to bridge going back on your neck and remember to use your left leg that is free to help you bridge diagonally. you will have to have an angle to take him over.

In most cases the result is us rolling and me ending up in his guard.

If he posts with his hands to stop the sweep, then Viola! his arms are not hugging your neck like a pillow anymore, but remember as he posts you should be shrimping and trying to create space, working for another position.

Hope this helps.
3/4/11 3:34 PM
poober
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Remember to use your legs in guard too. I'm a bigger dude, but I can't imagine anyone being able to pull my head and break my guard if I'm pushing them back with my legs. Like a can opener without the opener eh?
3/4/11 7:28 PM
Matt le kat

Snaggleture-- Thanks! I will totally try your advice out at my next session

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.