UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Played a $500-no cap table

3/3/11 2:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
andre
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some had stacks of $6000, $8000...I bought in for a measly $1000.

I think I had my best day in terms of play, though worst day in terms of the hands I was dealt. I had to get creative if I was going to win any hands because suited connectors were the best hands I woke up to, while the two very wealthy "fish" (they finance the table with their bad play, everyone knows them for this reason) were getting monster hands over and over.

Though I played for a couple of hours, I left with a decent profit off of only two plays. The rest were small hands in which I took down the blinds or missed the flop and gave up whatever preflop money I had put in.

1) After sitting tight for a while, I was dealt 7h5h UTG. Blinds are $5/$10. I raised to $45, which is a mid-sized preflop raise on that table. One of the "fish" raised to $145. It folded back around to me and I called. He rarely reraised without a big hand so I figured that I could win a huge pot if the board cooperated. I doubt he would put me on the type of hand I was holding.

The flop came Q-J-J. I checked. He shifted a bit uncomfortably and checked. The turn was a Q. This was my opportunity. If he's not holding either, I didnt see a way for him to call, and if he is holding either I would know immediately. I bet out $250 and he cursed at the dealer and folded pocket kings face up.

2) One of the "fish" (I hate that term but I dont know how else to describe these guys) was having a really hot run and had built up a huge stack. He hit a straight flush against a king high flush, cracked pocket kings when his pocket 5s made a set, and had aces twice in 30 minutes. But then he took some really bad beats and began to play way too many hands and everyone knew he was on tilt. I wasnt getting any playable hands until I looked down and saw pocket 6s. I was in the small blind and he was in the big. It limps around to me and I raise to $95, the BB (fish on tilt) makes it $195, which was standard for him at this point. It folds back around to me. I call. The flop is Q-7-3 rainbow. I check, he bets $200 (into a $500 pot), I call. The turn was a 4. I check, he checks. The river is a J. I bet out $350 and he folds.

I'm going to avoid the table on most days, but when I see it's particularly soft I'll wander over and buy in for $1000. There were some really good players at the table who I managed to steal some pots from, but I definitely didnt have the bankroll to get into big plays with them.

The
3/5/11 1:26 AM
Ze Dano
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good stuff andre
3/5/11 1:28 AM
andre
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks! I really wish I could take one of you guys to the tables with me to see how good the games are.
3/5/11 11:52 PM
VectorWega
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure why he shifted uncomfortably on the flop.  Seems like a pretty good flop for two kings..  One good thing for him checking the flop is that it keeps the pot small and makes it harder to bluff him off his hand.  No way in hell I fold KK in that spot  If I was in that spot and was essentially playing the board (ie no overpair, no ace, Q, or J) then I would probably raise you all in there.
3/6/11 2:19 AM
SwedishShooto
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wanna play in these games that you are playing in, jesus... that looks like poker of 2003 all over again.
3/6/11 3:17 AM
andre

Vector,

He had to bet the flop to see where he was at. I. Don't think me having a jack is likely there, but a queen would definitely be in my range. I think it's a tough call for anyone to make, but I think he should have simply called the turn bet. It would have shown strength and would have made it hard for me to bet on the river.
3/6/11 3:18 AM
andre

Edited: 03/06/11 3:18 AM
Swedish,There are a few good players who are living off the wealth of bad ones.
3/6/11 11:35 AM
VectorWega
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andre - Vector,

He had to bet the flop to see where he was at. I. Don't think me having a jack is likely there, but a queen would definitely be in my range. I think it's a tough call for anyone to make, but I think he should have simply called the turn bet. It would have shown strength and would have made it hard for me to bet on the river.
He should have bet the flop, but the fact that he didn't should have allowed him to make an easy call on the turn and as you stated it would have been difficult for you to bluff the river. 
3/6/11 12:16 PM
andre

I can't believe we finally agree on a hand! Maybe I am improving!

;)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.