UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> Defending against driving elbows to leg from guard

3/3/11 5:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
neibs
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been doing some nogi grappling off and on for 6 or so months now and one things has really been bothering me. When I go up against a guy who cant do much to pass my guard but has some more experience than me, they always seem to drive their elbows into my thighs. I suck it up as long as I can but eventually end up opening up, sometimes they pass, sometimes I recover but either way I don't like it. I recently heard that that tactic only works on rookies since anyone worthwhile will immediately triangle them so I went for a triangle last time it happened and I just couldn't lock it in quick enough and ended up getting losing position. Are there and basic steps that I could be missing? I kick my leg up straight across his neck, grab my instep as tight as possible and try to control the head. What am I missing? Too slow maybe?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
3/3/11 6:09 PM
Tap21

Edited: 03/03/11 6:30 PM
There are many better grapplers on this board, but here is what comes to mind for me:

You said: "I kick my leg up straight across his neck, grab my instep as tight as possible and try to control the head."

For me the success of this triangle counter to the elbow digging thing is determined by the questions below. What are you doing with his arm that will be encircled in your triangle? Are you aggressively isolating and extending his arm that you want to encircle? Are you tucking his other arm aggressively so that it is excluded from your "triangle hole"? Are you getting your hips out sharply so that you get a good angle on his shoulders (from my view his shoulders should now be at a slight angle since you're pulling of the encircled arm and pushing or tucking of the other arm will have upset his balance slightly and rotated his upper body a little)?

From a broader viewpoint, have you experimented with better clinch control on the guy's upper body so that you can better prevent him from posturing and digging his elbows in from the get go? Have you tried an overhook on one side and wrist control on the other side (what BJ Penn calls "Damn Good Guard")? It shuts down this elbow digging problem for a lot of people and allows them to play a more open and offensive guard. When they do get to that postured up elbow digging position, have you tried sitting up into them, bear hugging over their arms (with an s-grip or gable grip behind their back), and then letting gravity rock you back down (pulling them down onto you and out of posture) (which could then be followed up with an attempt to snag an overhook for damned good guard)?
3/3/11 9:29 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If someone is driving their elbow into your thigh to try to break your guard, just grab their arm behind the elbow and pull it towards you.
3/4/11 11:04 AM
neibs

Thanks guys. We call the damn good guard strong guard and I love to use it while I'm thinking about it but being fairly green my gameplan is lacking. Perhaps I should work on that before anything else. Oddly enough, a guy at my club told me tonight to cup the elbows and pull them towards myself. Thanks again, much appreciated. Phone Post
3/4/11 2:09 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

neibs - Oddly enough, a guy at my club told me tonight to cup the elbows and pull them towards myself. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Yes, do that. It's good. Or you can always tap out as a last resort.
3/8/11 4:27 PM
Str4nger D4nger
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also make sure that you're throwing your hips up hard enough to get the triangle. Most of the time I find that's the difference between them controlling your free leg, and you getting a strong clamp on their neck and arm. Phone Post
3/9/11 3:15 AM
Calibur1980
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bigwormy - I typically tap when this happens to me. I believe the only thing that can stop "The Brazilian Dagger (10th Planet name for it) is a good crack head control. So yeah, either get to Crack Head control or tap. You dont want to use your hands to cup their elbows unless you fancy broken metatarsals.

LOL, what? So the options you are giving are

Crackhead control
Tapping
Broken bones

Simply because you don't believe that cupping the elbows works? Did I read that wrong?

Cupping the elbows is such a no brainer of a solution and requires almost no power, and a hell of a lot less flexibility and risk of knee injury than crackhead control.

I love the "brazilian daggers" name though. I'm gonna start using it!

Oh wait, does that make me a gracie fanatic stealing 10th planet techniques? :O
3/18/11 9:56 PM
Muggler
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sit up and wrap up a guillotine if they are postured up to far for that hip bump. Phone Post
3/19/11 4:55 AM
poolparty

if you cup the triceps and pull towards you that's only half of the movement, the other half would be to pull forward with your legs and hips. both motions at once. also you aren't necessarily pulling the triceps towards you... you want to pull the elbow outwards, this makes the arms weaker.
3/20/11 11:13 AM
Fighter&Promoter
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The 'push-through' triangle entry.

The starting position for this triangle entry is one hand cups the back of their neck and pulls down while the other grasps the wrist of their brazilian dagger hand and pushes it against their chest.

You'll find it easier to through your leg into position for the triangle because you are controlling their head.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.