UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> tips on bow hunting?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/4/11 12:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sourcheese
283 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/04/11 1:01 AM

Im going to get an old 20 year old proline restrung and hone my skills with it. (my mom bought me a 60lb compound bow set up as a finger shooter when I was 12. I never used it, sat in the basement. No cracks no issues)

I plan on setting it up for trigger and taking lessons
If I like it Ill see about either using that next year or getting a new bow and hunting.

First though I want to get fucking good shooting before I go hunting deer.

Any tips?
3/4/11 1:39 AM
Byrd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tip 1

take that rickety bow to a professional to have it looked at before you shoot it.
3/14/11 5:11 PM
MachetePhil
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Byrd and Hill Billy, at least have the bow looked at and restrung but, the draw length will probly be way too short. My advice is go to a good bow shop and have them set you up with a new bow, or at least tell you if your old bow will work for you. 

Whether you get a new bow or use the old one have a good bow shop get you set up, ideally at a place where you can actually shoot some arrows so they can get it tuned and sighted in, as well as help you out with your form, release etc.  That alone will save you a whole bunch of frustration and reduce the learning curve.  Newer bows are made to be shot with releases, and are generally better made.  But if the old one will work then there's no reason to not use it until you make sure you got the bug.

From there, practice a little everyday, or at least a few times a week.  Take your time when you're shooting, correct any bad habits or form right away, and don't shoot too many arrows at a time, ie. 3 at a time, if you feel yourself rushing or you start to get a little wild, slow down and take a break.....and concentrate on every shot.

3/17/11 3:44 AM
sourcheese
283 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so I took my old bow from when I was 13 to bass proshop. its a proline force xl-II. Im thinking 20 years old. Condition is excellent, and he restrung it and set it up as a trigger shooter. I have a sight on it now and a fiber optic scope that has a small light on it.

He took about a half hour with me working the sight at 20 yards and its working fine. Made me some arrows as well, carbon. He told me that the bow was well made and had 0 issues.

So now Im going to go to a local place.. ace archers in mansfield ma, and take up archery. They have beginner classes. It will be hard for my schedule, but I plan on getting one beginner class a week, and shooting once a week on top of it starting this week.

Ill see how it goes from there. lol some reason I couldnt stop looking at my old bow, I wanted to shoot it right away.

It will be nice to learn how to get good and either pick up a new bow, or just get good with this one. I can not hunt with a fire arm (felony in massachusetts) and Im unsure if I can own a musket rifle.

anyway this should be a new and fun hobby.
3/17/11 6:37 AM
Byrd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool, glad it worked out. hunting with a firearm is overkill, i always respected the bow guys over the firearm hunters.

where in mass? i got some friends in dorchester or however you spell it.
3/25/11 1:47 PM
Focker101
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take it to a pro #1 verify it is safe, it is the correct draw length ( if it is old I would replace power cables and bow string just for performance issue's ) a experienced bow tech is your best friend for initial setup.

Big tip get a new arrow rest, the hi-tech designs they have now are so superior to old tech.
I personally like drop away rests Quality Archery designs makes a nice drop away.
have it paper tested to resolve any arrow movement and centerline ( this is critical for accuracy )

I recommend a loop on the draw string if your shooting release

Now when you draw it does it make even the slightest amount of noise if it does you need to fix that before attempting to bow hunt

Make sure you camo clothing is not in the way when drawing the bow
Make sure before you hunt you sight it in, while wearing this gear. ( facemask's etc will change shooting form )there for change shot pattern

and practice, practice, practice.
Your form should be second nature to you. the more natural your draw cycle is the more likely it will be proper form when it really matters like when your adrenaline
is screwing with ya. especially when the big buck steps out.

I am a avid bow hunter, and I used to shoot in the unlimited bow hunting class in oaa tournaments, I will happily answer anything I have learned from 20 years of bow hunting

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.