UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Are any of the Kodokan Throws Now Illegal?

3/23/11 10:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wade Garrett
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bently-

How did you know that?! Does the voice of the night speak to you as well? Ahem....

To be fair to the referees I think they only actually gave two penalties, one was the guy I mentioned and the other was from a BJJ school. A couple of matches were stopped because people grabbed/touched the legs and then let go, but the judges didn't give penalties, they just restarted in the center.

And the guy who got hansomasuke (spelling? I think it means thrown out of the tournament in English) was just...every time a match started to go against him he'd start "hulking out" screaming while trying stuff and diving for legs. It was not a proud moment for the "Judo makes you a better person" crowd.
3/30/11 9:45 AM
HULC
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bently - 
HULC - Get over yourself Bently.

Go back to school, if you ever went, and learn to read. Stop posting that things are "banned" or "illegal" when they are not. If you don't like being corrected, then stay off the Internet.

Ben

Actually at least one of the techniques has been banned outright, and several others have been banned in certain situations.

You're not half as clever as you think you are, and you're internet posturing comes across as uber-geek.
3/30/11 1:47 PM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Our forum needs more video, better discussions on the things that make judo a better sport. I don't know if many of the forum members are able to watch judo from all levels. State, Regional, National and International. At our local level they have be giving match DQ's for inadvertant leg grabs. When I was at the Midwest(regional) I hardly saw any. This weekend we have the National Scholastics. Next month the US Senior Nationals. It seems there are varying applications of this rule on the local level.
3/31/11 4:36 AM
Bently

Wade Garrett - Bently-

How did you know that?! Does the voice of the night speak to you as well? Ahem....

To be fair to the referees I think they only actually gave two penalties, one was the guy I mentioned and the other was from a BJJ school. A couple of matches were stopped because people grabbed/touched the legs and then let go, but the judges didn't give penalties, they just restarted in the center.

And the guy who got hansomasuke (spelling? I think it means thrown out of the tournament in English) was just...every time a match started to go against him he'd start "hulking out" screaming while trying stuff and diving for legs. It was not a proud moment for the "Judo makes you a better person" crowd.

It sounds like a tournament as described by a friend on another forum. Plus, you last name is Garrett.

Your description does not sound so bad, they were giving leeway on the leg touching stuff.

As to the guy "hulking out", that's just weird.

Ben
3/31/11 4:38 AM
Bently

HULC - 
Bently - 
HULC - Get over yourself Bently.

Go back to school, if you ever went, and learn to read. Stop posting that things are "banned" or "illegal" when they are not. If you don't like being corrected, then stay off the Internet.

Ben

Actually at least one of the techniques has been banned outright, and several others have been banned in certain situations.

You're not half as clever as you think you are, and you're internet posturing comes across as uber-geek.

I'm the exact opposite of uber-geek, and I'm not posturing I'm dead serious.

Any more Judo expertise you'd like to throw out there for our edification?

Ben
3/31/11 4:52 PM
Wade Garrett

Bently - 
It sounds like a tournament as described by a friend on another forum. Plus, you last name is Garrett.

Your description does not sound so bad, they were giving leeway on the leg touching stuff.

As to the guy "hulking out", that's just weird.

Ben

Wade Garrett = The character Sam Elliot played in Road House. Which won an Academy Award. For Best. Movie. Ever.

And while they may not have been calling penalties, they would stop and restart if legs were touched regardless of counters, follow ups, etc. It's possible that is the way the rule reads, but at a local level refs find it easier to stop things anytime someone touches a leg than to try and decide whether it was a counter, follow up attack, etc.

I'm with you on the hulking out. Every Judo or BJJ tournament I've ever entered, I think "If the worst thing that happens to me today is that I lose every match without scoring a point...it's still gonna be a pretty good day."

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.