UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Lent

3/8/11 12:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
inlikeflynn
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who here observes Lent and what does it consist of for you?
3/8/11 12:57 PM
gord96
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/08/11 2:31 PM
i usually try and give up some worldy activity for 40 days in hopes that i use that time for more prayer, reading, study, etc.
3/17/11 7:58 PM
reverend john
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I give up something and use it to remind me of the sacrifice Jesus made, and calls us to make.

rev
3/18/11 5:04 AM
Juijitsuboxer
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I observe lent as a charismatic Christian even though my church does not. I want to fast and pray with all the other Christians in the world in a unified way. Also, I look for reasons such as this to go on fasts. It is always easier to find a reason to fast when it is pre-arranged.

I am observing the standard Catholic Lent rules as ratified at the council of Trent. I have also chosen to give up something that is a huge part of my daily life, flavored drinks.

So I am on water for 40 days where i would usually drink 4 to 7 diet soda cans a day and a 5 hour energy drink every couple of days. I wanted to give up something that I would miss and feel every day.
3/18/11 5:04 AM
Juijitsuboxer
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isaiah 58 (New Living Translation)

Isaiah 58

True and False Worship

1 “Shout with the voice of a trumpet blast.
Shout aloud! Don’t be timid.
Tell my people Israel[a] of their sins!
2 Yet they act so pious!
They come to the Temple every day
and seem delighted to learn all about me.
They act like a righteous nation
that would never abandon the laws of its God.
They ask me to take action on their behalf,
pretending they want to be near me.
3 ‘We have fasted before you!’ they say.
‘Why aren’t you impressed?
We have been very hard on ourselves,
and you don’t even notice it!’
“I will tell you why!” I respond.
“It’s because you are fasting to please yourselves.
Even while you fast,
you keep oppressing your workers.
4 What good is fasting
when you keep on fighting and quarreling?
This kind of fasting
will never get you anywhere with me.
5 You humble yourselves
by going through the motions of penance,
bowing your heads
like reeds bending in the wind.
You dress in burlap
and cover yourselves with ashes.
Is this what you call fasting?
Do you really think this will please the Lord?

6 “No, this is the kind of fasting I want:
Free those who are wrongly imprisoned;
lighten the burden of those who work for you.
Let the oppressed go free,
and remove the chains that bind people.
7 Share your food with the hungry,
and give shelter to the homeless.
Give clothes to those who need them,
and do not hide from relatives who need your help.

8 “Then your salvation will come like the dawn,
and your wounds will quickly heal.
Your godliness will lead you forward,
and the glory of the Lord will protect you from behind.
9 Then when you call, the Lord will answer.
‘Yes, I am here,’ he will quickly reply.

“Remove the heavy yoke of oppression.
Stop pointing your finger and spreading vicious rumors!
10 Feed the hungry,
and help those in trouble.
Then your light will shine out from the darkness,
and the darkness around you will be as bright as noon.
11 The Lord will guide you continually,
giving you water when you are dry
and restoring your strength.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like an ever-flowing spring.
12 Some of you will rebuild the deserted ruins of your cities.
Then you will be known as a rebuilder of walls
and a restorer of homes.

13 “Keep the Sabbath day holy.
Don’t pursue your own interests on that day,
but enjoy the Sabbath
and speak of it with delight as the Lord’s holy day.
Honor the Sabbath in everything you do on that day,
and don’t follow your own desires or talk idly.
14 Then the Lord will be your delight.
I will give you great honor
and satisfy you with the inheritance I promised to your ancestor Jacob.
I, the Lord, have spoken!”
3/18/11 9:21 AM
reverend john
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, thats one of the things my community is doing, the money we save from our different fasts are being used to help a single mother who is struggling to get by, and to send money to haiti

too often people bag on fasting as ritual, or trying to please God, yet they have their own rituals, and God pleasing. But God would have us seek to care for the needy at every opportunity as true worship, including in our fasting.

rev
3/18/11 6:27 PM
inlikeflynn
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

reverend john - yeah, thats one of the things my community is doing, the money we save from our different fasts are being used to help a single mother who is struggling to get by, and to send money to haiti

too often people bag on fasting as ritual, or trying to please God, yet they have their own rituals, and God pleasing. But God would have us seek to care for the needy at every opportunity as true worship, including in our fasting.

rev

Some people I know that run a house church have a "rice" night every Friday where everyone gathers and they only eat rice and/or lentls. The money they would have spent on a normal dinner goes to a foster home/school they are supporting in Africa. Not that hard to do but it makes a big difference to those people.
3/18/11 6:30 PM
inlikeflynn

Juijitsuboxer - I observe lent as a charismatic Christian even though my church does not. I want to fast and pray with all the other Christians in the world in a unified way. Also, I look for reasons such as this to go on fasts. It is always easier to find a reason to fast when it is pre-arranged.

I am observing the standard Catholic Lent rules as ratified at the council of Trent. I have also chosen to give up something that is a huge part of my daily life, flavored drinks.

So I am on water for 40 days where i would usually drink 4 to 7 diet soda cans a day and a 5 hour energy drink every couple of days. I wanted to give up something that I would miss and feel every day.

That's a good thing to give up too as that can't be very good for you.

Is the standard Catholic rules no meat on Fridays and you give up something important to you for the rest of the time? My boss is Orthodox and she can't have any animal products for the whole 40 days.
3/18/11 9:54 PM
Ridgeback
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Orthodoxy we generally adopt a vegan diet, try to eat less at each meal, try to avoid distractions like movie and entertainments, attend more services during the week, and give our surplus money we save on food as alms for the poor.  

I am not saying we do all these things perfectly (I sure don't), but that is the basic outline.
3/19/11 12:48 PM
inlikeflynn

Ridgeback -  In Orthodoxy we generally adopt a vegan diet, try to eat less at each meal, try to avoid distractions like movie and entertainments, attend more services during the week, and give our surplus money we save on food as alms for the poor.  

I am not saying we do all these things perfectly (I sure don't), but that is the basic outline.

Are there services everyday at your Church?
3/19/11 7:42 PM
reverend john

the orthodox sure don't pansy it up when it comes to lent

good for them

rev
3/21/11 4:04 AM
Ridgeback
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inlikeflynn - 
Ridgeback -  In Orthodoxy we generally adopt a vegan diet, try to eat less at each meal, try to avoid distractions like movie and entertainments, attend more services during the week, and give our surplus money we save on food as alms for the poor.  

Are there services everyday at your Church?

Not every day.  It is variable, but the number of services definitely goes up.  Wednesdays are the pre-sanctified liturgy, which is like a cut down version of the Divine Liturgy and a way for people to receive the eucharist during the week.  A person is supposed to do a hard fast that day until he receives around 6:30 pm.  A hard fast is no food after midnight the night before.  That is the common practice for receiving the eucharist on Sundays since it is, ideally, the first thing that touches your lips for that day.  The Sunday service is around 9:30 though, so it is a matter of skipping breakfast.  The rules are variable, of course, based on health, pregnancy, and other factors.  Nobody pays attention to what other people are doing in that respect.
3/28/11 11:55 AM
figure four
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this is proof that the so called lent is man made...
3/28/11 1:52 PM
reverend john

What is proof? And modern worship services are man made too how does that matter? Paul says some people have a day more important than another and some have each day the same... Do what u feel convicted of. Your judgmentalism is not defending the faith

Rev
3/28/11 2:00 PM
reverend john

In addition the same
Group of church leaders that chose the
Books of the bible chose the days of
Lent

Rev
3/29/11 11:51 AM
gord96
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

figure four - this is proof that the so called lent is man made...

and.....your point is?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.