UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Innocents in Ancient Warfare

3/8/11 5:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Grakman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You are the member of an ancient tribe engaged in warfare with a neighboring tribe somewhere in the Middle East several thousand years ago. Resources are very lmited and the survival of your family and tribe is at stake.

Fortunately, the men of your tribe meet the men of the rival tribe on the field of the battle and you defeat them. All are slain or flee the battlefield never to be seen again. Now, victorious, you have to decide what to do with the rival tribes surviving members - women, children, elderly, and sick. Given the limited nature of the resource in your area, do you decide to:*

a) Kill them all and use the limited resources for your own tribe members;
b) Take them as slaves, using resources but adding to the pool of labor, yet risking uprising and expenditure of manpower supervising them;
c) 'Nation-build; help them remain a separate tribal identity.
d) Other (answer in your post below)

* Keep in mind that any surviving members may decide to resume warfare against you and your people as soon as the time is right, and that resources are already limited.

As the ancient tribal man, do you see any of these choices as more moral or less than others? Why or why not?

Viewing this situation through the lens of your 21st century eyes, are any of these choices more or less moral than the others? Why or why not?

Furthermore, now imagine that a God or gods has told you to take a particular course of action. As a modern, does that change your view of the answers and the outcome of any of the listed choices?
5/10/11 1:38 PM
RamK
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do I have access to a God that guarrantees my people will win battles, and perform other miracles in case of emergency (like feed my people)?
5/10/11 3:52 PM
Ridgeback
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think you should add that this tribe has always been more powerful and has always hounded your people and this is your first victory over them.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.