UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Eddie Alvarez: I can beat anyone in the world

3/9/11 6:20 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1061 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

With a record of 21-2, and wins in 11 of his last 12 fights, he is by far the most highly ranked fighter in any division on the Bellator roster. The 27-year-old Philadelphian's quest for widespread acclaim -- done completely outside the UFC machine -- has been a slow burn.

"The answer is to continually improve my training, be diligent and work hard ... That's been my formula from the beginning. It wasn't to be No. 1 in the world or to remain the champion for so long. It was to fight for a living. That was my only goal. I got to that goal by staying focused on what was in front of me and improving every day."

"We trade secrets, push each other, go after each other," he said of UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar. "It's like iron sharpens iron. We push each other, make each other better. It makes for a good relationship as we make each other better."

"We say that me & Frankie are both No. 1 in the world. There's no conflict of interest. We have different goals. Frankie wants to be No. 1 in his promotion, the UFC. I want to be No. 1 in the world outside of the UFC. No. 1 out of all the other promotions ... We're taking ourselves and separating ourselves from the pack. You're going to have a whole lot of 155-pounders at one level, and we're pushing each other to separate ourselves from the rest of them."

"I wouldn't have a problem fighting Frankie, and I don't think Frankie would have a problem fighting me. We fight each other every week, make each other better every week. If it came down to it and Dana said, 'Frankie we need you to fight this guy', do I think Frankie would do it? I think Frankie would be for it and I'd be for it as long as the money was there."

"Rankings are based off your last couple opponents in the last couple years, so there's no way I can say I'm the No. 1 in the world because my opposition hasn't shown so. But, do I think I can beat anyone in the world on any given day? Absolutely ... Believe that. Don't second guess that."

Read entire article...

3/9/11 6:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lee Conway
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's very much up their, in my personal top 5 LW rankings for sure. Phone Post
3/9/11 6:26 PM
ThreadRuiner

then come to the ufc and prove it
3/9/11 6:33 PM
THP

Eh nope. The UFC actually has wrestlers worth giving a damn.
3/9/11 6:45 PM
matthias
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who in the UFC dominated Huerta like he did? His striking was on a totally different level. I'm not sure how his sub defense has grown since the Aoki fight, but that is the only hole I've seen in his game. I think he'd smash most of the UFC lightweights.
3/9/11 9:10 PM
Evilzpet

Alvarez is a legit badass and is a tough fight for just about anyone. Not sure if he could take the UFC title but he would easily be top ten, if not top five imo.
3/9/11 9:32 PM
BzGrappla

Alavrez, Melendez, Edgar, Maynard all BADASS
3/9/11 10:40 PM
Hypnos
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Clorox Phone Post
3/9/11 10:45 PM
nhbguy
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course he has the ability to beat anyone in the world. He may not be favored to beat every single guy out there, but that's not what he said. He said on given day, he could beat anyone out there.

How could you have a problem with that?
3/9/11 10:49 PM
adam20v
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's going to get subbed by Pat Curran coming up pretty soon here.
3/9/11 10:49 PM
kingjames100
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well at least he didn't say he could sub Shogun.
3/9/11 10:51 PM
Deaf Forever

Can you imagine the shitstorm if Jon Jones said this? The hate would be overwhelming.
3/10/11 2:47 AM
GetJimiPosterBoyInTheUFC!
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like how he phrased everything in that interview....points out that while he believes he can be number one if matched up against the top guys, he knows that he hasn't been fighting the  top 10 ranked guys.
3/10/11 2:48 AM
GetJimiPosterBoyInTheUFC!
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WRESTLENOW - is this the same guy who got tapped out by Aoki in his last fight?
2 years ago..

3/10/11 4:26 AM
Pro Ice
1920 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alvarez always gives great interviews, he never cocky, he's very realistic, and just calls it like it is
3/10/11 8:50 AM
Ramon Maroni

need to be in the UFC to find out
3/10/11 8:52 AM
KRoyer

He's one of my favorite fighters
3/10/11 9:17 AM
Localhero

Alvarez has always been one of my favorite fighters. I have followed his whole career.
3/10/11 9:33 AM
greg39tigers

Alvarez is fun as hell to watch. it would be great to see him fight better comp. he'll smash curran. if it goes to a decision it wouldn't suprise me if they gave it to curran cause he received two gift decisions to get his shot at alvarez.
3/10/11 11:30 AM
horstmeyer34

Alvarez v Pettis 2012
3/10/11 11:34 AM
Tomato Can
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/10/11 11:34 AM
Alvarez is great but as long as he's fighting in Bellator, this is all talk. He's just spinning his wheels there. Fighting guys like Imada and Huerta is not doing anything for him except earning him some easy money.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.