UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> What Are You Smoking These Days?

3/10/11 12:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
joesonshuevos
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

il Don is hitting the Tatuajes Cojonus hard (currently in il Don's paw). Also, the Liga 52s and not so much the 9s. Construction issues annoy the fuck out of il Don. Also, La Aurora 107s, Ashton ESG, and eagerly anticipating Monte 2s and Vegas Robaina Unicos. Also, check out Guillermo Leons. Decent at the light, and gets better every minute thereafter. A recent Padron maduro was disappointing. Also, a recent Fuente Queen B wasn't up to il Don's standards. You gotta il Don's capo. He is trying to bang out CA's top 25. As of today, he has knocked out 20 or so.

That Viaje is going to be tough. But who the fuck put on the Camacho corojo churchill and A Turrent? They are wretched, unsmokeable pieces of turd. 5 minutes in, the a Turrent was chucked across il Don's patio into the backyard.

Also, if you had the Fuente Viejo, chime in. il Don was not impressed given the buildup. Similarly, the Partagas 160.......... not at all worth the hype.

Final words from il Don, stick to the Nics and the Cubanos. SALUD!
3/10/11 1:01 AM
NICK MANNING
622 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

il Don, is the a cigar thread for noobs anywhere?

I'm moving from Vegas back to Maine, and plan to spend many nights in a hot tub in my backyard, and would like to try some different cigars- I just don't know where to start (styles, type of cutter, etc).

Please lead Sir Manning in the right direction. Thank you.
3/11/11 3:25 PM
joesonshuevos
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But of course. All are welcome in la famiglia. As far as where to start. Trial and error. Try milds like Griffins, Zino Mouton Cadets, Perdomo Connecticuts etc. for mediums, Aurora 107, Padrones, Flor by Coronado etc. Fuller-bodied like Mi Amor (La Aroma De Cuba), Tatuaje Cojonu, Cuban Partagas etc.

See what suits you. Next, onto which vitola (shapes) you prefer. Lanceros are en vogue currently if you care about shit like that. It does provide a good barometer as to the quality of a given cigar.

Lastly, cutters. Most prefer dual-bladed guillotines.

Most important thing is to enjoy them, especially with family and friends!

Salud!
3/14/11 11:40 PM
NICK MANNING
622 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the imput gents. I'll let you know what I purchase in a couple weeks or so.
3/15/11 2:13 PM
joesonshuevos

vERY WELCOME. Be very careful with 100% airproof containers as mold grows easily. il Don prefers the Oliva V, but try both and see what works for you.

Got the Vegas Robainas, Cohiba Lanceros and  Monte 2s in. 1st Monte deuce was amazing! Just ordered H Upmann 2s for this week
3/19/11 11:50 PM
Gforce
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Xikar double-bladed cutter is certainly nice. It was my personal favorite until I got the Palio.

http://www.atlanticcigar.com/Cigar-Cutters/Cigar-Cutters.asp

Atlantic is a GREAT shop, FYI.

Their lighters are great as well.
6/13/11 11:07 AM
BROTHER WISDOM
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/13/11 11:11 AM
Just tried a Padilla Dominus over the weekend. Great smoke

As for my cigar cutter, I just got a Cuban Crafters titanium enamel double blade for $10 from DosCaballoscigars.com. Outstanding cutter
8/17/11 4:26 PM
BROTHER WISDOM
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oliva V
8/21/11 5:09 PM
joesonshuevos

Vs used to be great. Don't you think they have fallen off in the recent years?
8/22/11 9:18 PM
BROTHER WISDOM

Not sure Joeson. My 1st encounter with this stick was last year. I just recently had one and I was pretty sad when it was finished cuz I didnt want it to end. I found it to be pretty damned good. If they've fallen off I'd love to try the older ones

Was recently recommended a Vallejuelo so I'm gonna light that one up in a bit Not sure Joeson. My 1st encounter with this stick was last year. I just recently had one and I was pretty sad when it was finished cuz I didnt want it to end. I found it to be pretty damned good. If they've fallen off I'd love to try the older ones

Was recently recommended a Vallejuelo so I'm gonna light that one up in a bit

8/22/11 11:26 PM
joesonshuevos

Is there an echo in here in here?:)
9/24/11 9:23 AM
Stronghold
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I switched to a pipe. $10 of tobaccy lasts 10x longer than one or two cigars. Some Virginia redleaf + pirique = good.

But, I still enjoy a small cigar once in a while also. Any suggestions on some minis? The cohibas were not great.
9/25/11 6:12 PM
lionsdengrappler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/20/11 9:33 PM
I have been really enjoying the Acid's as well, the "Toast" was a great smoke while having a nice beer (Abby, New Belgium Brewery) and grilling some tandoori spiced chicken wings the other day. It was the first time I have tried it, before that I always picked up a few Acid "Blondies"<br /><br />I would really love to get into some of the better cigars though.
9/26/11 1:34 PM
BROTHER WISDOM

Recently got my hands on some Monte 4's PE's and Juan Lopez No. 1

Letting them sit in the humi for a while. Can't wait to light one up
9/26/11 6:36 PM
joesonshuevos

il Don had the capos over Sat for the Jones Rampage PPV. il Don opened with La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor, then a 2007 Vegas Robaina Unico and closed with a 2009 Tatuaje Cojunu
10/20/11 9:48 PM
lionsdengrappler

I stopped at the cigar shop and decided not to pick up any Acids. Instead I got a Padron maduro, Nub 466 cameroon and Arturo Fuente gran reserva.

I can't wait to get into them, they all smell so good!
10/21/11 4:58 PM
joesonshuevos

Edited: 10/21/11 4:59 PM
That's awesome! Great variety.
11/25/11 5:13 AM
legitballer

Been smoking alot of Viaje Skull & Bones Mystery and My Father El Hijo lately. Think these are worth sitting on for a while?
11/27/11 2:16 PM
joesonshuevos

Hell no. You buy the Skull and Bones, you smoke that bitch before the credit card receipt is printed. What if the zombie apocolypse hits and you got a box. What good did they do you? May not happen, but why take the chance? 1 of the most amazing cigars eva!!!!!!!!!!!!

il Don's new stick is the Illusione 888 maduro

Love that shit! That, the TAA Tatuaje and the My Father Le Bijoux Belicoso are il Don's current holy trinity.
-------------------------------------
as far as aging, you really gotta be the judge. Some cigars are amazing coming out the chute, while others need 6 months or more. Opus especially 3 year-old Opus are fantastic. il Don had a capo bring one over the other day. Dude was not pleased when it got placed next to the other Opus in the cabinet.  But, they simply need time. SALUD!
11/29/11 1:03 PM
Z NEDCMK1
678 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been burning through Monte Petit Edmundos like a forrest fire. I can't get enough of them. They may replace the Monte 4 for me. I have a new box I set aside to age, but it may not last.

Plus I am having trouble bringing myelf to open up an 06 box code of 4's i have been aging. May have too.

Otherwise my go to has been Partagas Shorts, great little smokes for a walk and espresso.

I am dieing for the Upmann half coronas but can not find them anywhere.

12/1/11 10:22 PM
legitballer

Edited: 12/01/11 10:23 PM
How do you like the Illusione maduros? Was quite a let down for me.

Was anyone able to get the Alec Bradley Fine & Rare?
12/19/11 7:53 PM
joesonshuevos

Illusione maduros are great.
11/28/12 2:18 AM
cheesesteak
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don Pepin blue label, a fuente anejo and cabaiguan are at the top of my rotation lately.

joesonhuevos, I too was let down by the illusione 88 maduro. I'm not sure if the shop I bought it in humidor sucked as it was in a random shop I don't frequent....But it was shockingly bitter
11/28/12 12:52 PM
Z NEDCMK1
678 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now I am on to Diplomatico 2's, although with it getting colder here I am going to have to go back to partagas shorts.

11/28/12 2:30 PM
joesonshuevos

I hate when it gets cold. I was trying to enjoy a Padron 45 in Sedona last year. Even under the heater, the 18 degrees plus the wind was just too much. Never again will I waste an amazing cigar. That's what Rocky's are for :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.