UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> The Great Muta

3/10/11 4:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Skellington
812 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/10/11 4:56 PM

I still say he's the best wrestler never to wrestle for the WWE. WWE even tried their versions but it came off as lame like with 'Kwang'.

First of all he had a fantastic look. WIth the face paint he was very marketable. Secondly in-ring he could do it all. Amazing high flying kicks & chops. His 'flashing elbow' is still incredible to see. He gets so much whip on it, the impact looks legit. Moves like his handspring back elbow & his 'space rolling elbow are/were remarkable. He could even mat wrestle.

His gimmick with the 'Asian Mist' he used was very cool. Even cooler when you realize he actually used to regurgitate it in the ring. Always thought it was a shame he never worked for the McMahon's. He was the only reason I even watched WCW. His old 1980's NWA/New Japan stuff was amazing.

3/10/11 5:14 PM
Jack Skellington
812 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nuckin Futs - He basically did the Great Kabuki's gimmick. They even claimed he was Kabuki's son in the NWA.

But in ring he was a marvel to watch and one of my favorites.

Oh I know, they even used to be a tag team I think.
3/10/11 7:09 PM
Blaaarggg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember his feud with Sting back in the NWA days.

Those were some great matches.
3/10/11 8:07 PM
grizz632
690 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got to see him live at Tokyo Sumo Hall a few years ago when he was triple crown champion. I actually got goosebumps during his ring entrance. It was such a cool atmosphere that night. Even though his knees don't allow him to do much anymore the fans still love him
3/10/11 9:34 PM
bruddahoodaman
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2yxfSRz-cw

one of my favorite workers ever. and he created the muta scale.
3/10/11 9:43 PM
grizz632
690 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for bruddahoodaman
3/10/11 9:44 PM
Marzz
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best wrestler ever. He showed how an older guy can continue to evolve and stay fresh, even when they've slowed down physically.
3/11/11 2:54 PM
vaGINA CARANO

The Great Muta: One of my all time favorites.  RIP!!!
3/11/11 8:09 PM
grizz632

Nuckin Futs - 
grizz632 - I got to see him live at Tokyo Sumo Hall a few years ago when he was triple crown champion. I actually got goosebumps during his ring entrance. It was such a cool atmosphere that night. Even though his knees don't allow him to do much anymore the fans still love him

Grizz didn't you post a bunch of pics from that trip? I would love to see those again.

I sure did. I'll post some of the pics again. Here's a vid I took of Muta's entrance with my crappy digital camera from the upper deck of Sumo Hall
3/12/11 7:01 PM
Dojosensei
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saw him during the Flair/Funk Sting/Muta era.

It was the weekend that Funk was suspended for breaking Sting's ankle with the branding iron.

It was supposed to be Flair/Funk in a last man standing match and Sting/Muta.

Turned out to be Flair/Dick Slater in the match and Muta vs Dick Murdoch.

But, I was 3rd row and got to see Flair and Muta too. AND I actually got to witness the Cuban Assassin win a match!!
3/12/11 10:31 PM
TSMontana
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/13/11 2:10 PM
He is awesome, and in WCW he was pushed, but no way WWF/WWE would have ever gotten him above mid-card status. He would have ended up like Tajiri, if not worse, which is a shame because both were good workers deserving of more than what Tajiri got in WWE.
3/13/11 12:31 PM
Beezulbubba
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe my alltime fave.
3/18/11 6:05 PM
SamboMMA

Sans Lubricant - 
grizz632 - I got to see him live at Tokyo Sumo Hall a few years ago when he was triple crown champion. I actually got goosebumps during his ring entrance. It was such a cool atmosphere that night. Even though his knees don't allow him to do much anymore the fans still love him

Thats pretty awesome.

I just watched the match between him and Sting at the WCW/NJPS supershow from 91. Pretty good match.<br type="_moz" />

I think Muta and Sting even teamed up once at one of those WCW/NJPW supershows IIRC.
3/18/11 6:25 PM
Slapnutz
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" I think Muta and Sting even teamed up once at one of those WCW/NJPW supershows IIRC. "

They did, I ordered the PPV and still have the show on VHS some where. They teamed up against the steiner brothers and the match while not a 5 star match, was really really good and entertaining.
3/18/11 9:22 PM
Dojosensei
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was either Superbrawl 1 or 2. In the other one he teamed with Luger and got clotheslined by Nikita Koloff
3/20/11 9:50 PM
A.C. Slater's Mullet
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had an old AWA Rick Martel figure that I painted up and turned him into my Muta figure.
3/21/11 11:41 AM
SamboMMA

Slapnutz - " I think Muta and Sting even teamed up once at one of those WCW/NJPW supershows IIRC. "

They did, I ordered the PPV and still have the show on VHS some where. They teamed up against the steiner brothers and the match while not a 5 star match, was really really good and entertaining.

Thanks Slapnutz. Hopefully the match is on Youtube.
10/28/12 10:05 AM
Augie Max
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARoundup.com

NJPW - The Great Muta: Birth of Muta

1. Great Muta vs. Hiroshi Hase (9/14/90) 
2. Great Muta vs. Ricky Steamboat (9/30/90) 
3. Great Muta vs. Sting (3/21/91) 
4. Great Muta/TNT vs. Kensuke Sasaki and Hiroshi Hase (7/19/91) 
5. Great Muta vs. Strong Machine (8/25/91) 
6. Great Muta vs. Tatsumi Fujinami (10/23/91) 
7. Great Muta/Sting vs. Scott and Rick Steiner (1/4/92)

10/28/12 10:08 AM
Augie Max
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARoundup.com

New Japan Pro Wrestling - The Great Muta: Muta vs Monster

1. Great Muta vs. Shinya Hashimoto (IWGP Heavyweight title Match; 10/23/92) 
2. Great Muta vs. Hiroshi Hase (12/14/92) 
3. Great Muta vs. Masahiro Chono (NWA and IWGP Heavyweight Title Match; 1/4/93) 
4. Great Muta vs. Hulk Hogan (5/3/93) 
5. Great Muta/Hulk Hogan vs. Road Warrior Hawk/Power Warrior (10/23/93)

10/28/12 10:25 AM
SamboMMA

ttt
10/28/12 12:41 PM
NHBshooter
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

:-) Phone Post
10/28/12 1:25 PM
fryabusa
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why doesn't anyone sell those bad ass fucking hoods Muta wears?  I'd scoop one right up for sure.

10/30/12 8:27 PM
jTheHybridwolff
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.