UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Front Leg Pain, but I don't think its shin splints

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/11/11 3:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RaginRedneck169
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey all, 
    Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  I recent started running (4 months ago) again at the gym.  My feet were killing me so I ended up going to a running store and buying new shoes as well as reading on here and googling proper running technique.  My feet hurt so bad that I couldn't run long enough to get winded, which doesn't take much as I'm in horrible shape right now.

Anyways, new shoes and changed techniqe have helped greatly.  However, during the past 2 weeks I've developed a pain in my right leg.  It seems somewhat similar to shin splints, but it stings more and is on the inside of my leg, not the outside.  I could be completely wrong, but my understanding is that shin splints typically occur on the outside of the front of your leg, this pain is just shy of the midway point between my ankle and knee on the inside.

Any ideas/suggestons??  I'm starting to make some decent progress on my cardio and I really don't want to back off, but I also don't want to cause serious damage that is going to sideline me any longer.

Thanks for all of your help in advance.

-RR-
3/11/11 3:16 AM
hmb
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a lot of pain in my WFA
3/11/11 3:17 AM
RaginRedneck169
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shit.

I suck at the interwebs.

Mods, will you please move to the Health & Medical section.  Thanks.
3/11/11 3:25 AM
irishrottie
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maybe a stupid question but do you stretch out before and after?
3/11/11 3:37 AM
RaginRedneck169

Yup.  I lightly jog around the gym, then I lightly stretch.  I even try to stretch out the front of my leg and my calves more than I usually do.  Then I run on the treadmill, I set the treadmill for 30 minutes then do a 1.5 mile run as fast I can, the remainder of the 30 minutes, I walk at about 3.2 mph at a 12% grade.  When I finish that I walk around the gym to cool off a little and then stretch out again.
3/11/11 3:38 AM
irishrottie
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if it isnt swelling up i wouldnt be worried.
3/11/11 3:39 AM
hmb

irish, quit tenning and WFA this MOFO!
3/11/11 3:40 AM
RaginRedneck169

No swelling, but it hurts like a mother fucker to the point where I can't run.
3/11/11 3:43 AM
RaginRedneck169

Edited: 03/11/11 3:43 AM
 Hey HMB,
    I posted it was in the wrong fucking forum and asked to have it moved, futhermore, I sent a Mod a PM requesting he move it for me.

Technically, physical fitness and training is related to MMA, more so than half the fucking threads on the first page of the UG, so STFU.

Irish, thanks for your opinions.

3/11/11 4:08 AM
ashleigh11
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just curious if your feet still hurt?

your initial foot pain sounds a little like plantar fascitis. usually you have more pain in the morning because of the adhesions your body forms in the arch of your foot. as you start moving around early in the day, the adhesions break and the pain lessens.

i wonder if fascitis was your initial problem, and your leg pain is caused by your body compensating for the pain in your feet. after a while, your hips, knees and ankles will misalign to compensate for your painful walk and you'll end up with pain elsewhere.
3/11/11 5:08 AM
Lunchbox101
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's aids.
3/11/11 5:52 AM
Cueball B
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Periostitis, my friend. And it can hurt like a motherfucker. (that's shin splints)

but seriously, don't mess about with your own health, see a doctor.
3/11/11 7:39 AM
RaginRedneck169

ashleigh11 - just curious if your feet still hurt?

your initial foot pain sounds a little like plantar fascitis. usually you have more pain in the morning because of the adhesions your body forms in the arch of your foot. as you start moving around early in the day, the adhesions break and the pain lessens.

i wonder if fascitis was your initial problem, and your leg pain is caused by your body compensating for the pain in your feet. after a while, your hips, knees and ankles will misalign to compensate for your painful walk and you'll end up with pain elsewhere.
My feet don't hurt like they use to.  Before the new shoes I could only run about 3-4 minutes before it felt like I was running on tacks.  After the new shoes, no real problems, sometimes my feet would be a little sore, but nothing major.

However, I've been running on the new shoes for 2 months now and the pain in my leg just started a week or so ago. 

3/11/11 7:49 AM
Winnson
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I ran for years and had awful front leg pain.  I drank lots of bullion because the salt was suppposed to help and it did a bit, but I was still in constant pain.

I cut my foot bad and had to get stitches and when the doc was stitching me up he asked if I ran a lot, then he asked me about shin splints.

The reason he asked is because my arch is high and my 2nd toe's quite a bit bigger than my big toe.  Apparently those type of feet aren't made for running and shin splints are common.  He advised me to start swimming instead.

Not sure if that helps, but just throwing it out there.
3/11/11 7:57 AM
MountainMedic
1057 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

some times my hind legs hurt a bit, but my front ones are usually good unless someone steps on my paw
3/11/11 7:57 AM
RaginRedneck169

BTW, thanks to everyone who has contributed.  I appreciate any insight that I can get.
3/11/11 8:17 AM
Blazing Knees

This might be a BIG uh-oh....

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/PeripheralArteryDisease/Peripheral-Artery-Disease-ATH_UCM_002082_SubHomePage.jsp

Read this and you might want to gt tested for P.A.D.
3/11/11 8:27 AM
DMSO

The location is consistent w/ shin splints.

You may have a mild case of exercise induced compartment syndrome as well in the anterior compartment of the lower leg. Next time it happens, you should get some one to passively flex and stretch the foot down and up and see if it reproduces the pain. Also check to feel if your Anterior Tibialis (muscle just lateral the shin bone) is rock hard when the pain comes on.

This could also be a tight IT band with referred pain the lower leg or poor tracking of the patella on the pattelar groove due to malalignment or differences in strength b/w your medial and later heads of your quads.
3/11/11 1:37 PM
Focker101
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RaginRedneck169 - 
ashleigh11 - just curious if your feet still hurt?

My feet don't hurt like they use to.  Before the new shoes I could only run about 3-4 minutes before it felt like I was running on tacks.  After the new shoes, no real problems, sometimes my feet would be a little sore, but nothing major.

However, I've been running on the new shoes for 2 months now and the pain in my leg just started a week or so ago. 

I would see a Dr. I have Plantars Flasciatis the reason why your feet hurt less now is possibly because your new shoes have a better sole that keeps your arch supported properly

you want a good solid sole and good toe sprin in your footwear

mine always hurt the most in the morning and when I first got up after sitting for a long period of time
it hurts on the bottom of the feet and sometimes up the shin
3/11/11 3:14 PM
WidespreadPanic

I used to get that. I'd use small ice packs which I carried everywhere in a little cooler when I ran and would put the ice packs into my socks after a run.

I -think- the cause could be supination of the foot as you strike the ground if it persists. Acute pain there when you are just starting running is from the anterior tibialis muscle getting over used since you're 'lifting your toes' a bit when you stride. But if you've been running for a while it can be because the foot wants to roll over on the outside. As you land, the foot wants to roll to the outside on some people and they may need something like a less compressible shim on the little toe side inside the shoe (orthotics). Some people say they do better running barefoot, say in the grass or on a rubberized athletic track.

The two lateral foot conditions are 'pronation' and 'supination' of the footstrike. Here's supination: (scroll down).

HTH

3/11/11 5:12 PM
RaginRedneck169

Thanks to DreamerMMA for moving this to the proper location.

Thank you all for your input.  I'm trying to avoid going to the Dr. as I'm short on funds these days and my health benefits haven't kicked in yet.

From everything that I've read from researching what you guys have been saying, it sounds like supination is my cause for the shin splints.

I'm assuming that the fact that I have increased the speed that I've been running at and increased duration of running before slowing to walk for a break is why the inflammation has occured?  I've just overstressed the area???
3/13/11 3:18 PM
DMSO

RaginRedneck169 -  Thanks to DreamerMMA for moving this to the proper location.

Thank you all for your input.  I'm trying to avoid going to the Dr. as I'm short on funds these days and my health benefits haven't kicked in yet.

From everything that I've read from researching what you guys have been saying, it sounds like supination is my cause for the shin splints.

I'm assuming that the fact that I have increased the speed that I've been running at and increased duration of running before slowing to walk for a break is why the inflammation has occured?  I've just overstressed the area???<br type="_moz" />

This inflammation/damaged has occurred due to the increase in intensity and or distance of the jogging. The anterior compartment of you lower leg, the dorsiflexors, accept the majority of the impact of running through controlled eccentric contraction. This dissipates the forces to the tendon and muscles. But if a person increases the intensity of exercise or the length of time they are exercising for, then those muscle at the from of your lower leg fatigue and can't accept the brunt of the impact. This then gets transmitted to the periosteum (where muscle attaches to bone) and inflammation due to microtrauma can occur. If this goes on long enough, a stress fracture can develop.

So - best advice would be to rest for a bit, w/NSAIDS, compression, ice and elevation . And when you get back to it, go slow and low at first and work up.
3/13/11 7:06 PM
RaginRedneck169

DMSO,
    How long do you recommend I lay off the running??

When I bought my current shoes I bought them from a running store, where a guy watched me walk and jog barefoot and had me try on multiple pairs to fix/compensate for my stride and then recommended 2 or 3 pairs of different brands and different price ranges.  I felt the guy was knowledgeable and not trying to upsell me.....should I look into insoles???  Would that even help or is it just a matter of overtraining???
3/13/11 10:27 PM
DMSO

Unfortunately I am neither a physio nor a doctor (currently still in med school). Like most nagging pains - give it a week or two off. That doesn't mean take a week or 2 off from exercising - hit the bike, elliptical, rower or swim. Then start off slow and go from there with adequate stretching/warming-up before runs and resting/icing/elevating after (w/proper stretch of course)

I'll be honest though - I know absolutely nothing about insoles - best bet would be to speak with a pedorthist or people who work at a running room type store about shin splits.

3/13/11 10:55 PM
RaginRedneck169

Thanks man, I appreciate the help/info.

The sub forums are the best part about this website lol

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.